Suggestion: Barber Shop (Poll) [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Soulicide, Mar 29, 2015.

?

What do you think about having barber shops?

1. Yes, I'm all for it!

94.6%
  2. Eh, I could care either way.

2.7%
  3. Nah. Character appearance should be set in stone forever.

2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Are there plans to implement a barber shop? I thought it would be neat to have one either in a stand-alone building or upstairs in an existing building like above the tavern or inn.

Characters would be able to pay gold to change their appearance: hair style and facial hair color/style. Even eyebrows could get a trim or a fluffing. I think this would be an awesome feature. You talk to the barber, then he directs you to sit in the barber chair and once you select your change, there could be a few animations of him diddling around with your hair. What's everyone think?

2. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

I support this idea, though I would probably never use it, I tend to pick my appearance once, and stick with it forever, even in games that have barber shops/plastic surgeons. But I have encountered so many people who take great joy in reinventing themselves style-wise, that I know such an addition would be a wise decision for the game. So yes, I support this feature, which I would never use.

FrostII likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi well on one interview Richard Garriott mentioned some people don't like to take forever to customize and want to just get in the game, not me of course I love customizing my character,so anyway he wants in game customizing just not sure when or how it will happen. I like your idea.:)

Soulicide, Miracle Dragon and FrostII like this.
  4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I'm fairly certain this is planned - there's two buildings around that have a waiting room (chairs in a row against wall) in front of a counter, with a room behind that has a big mirror, a seat, and on the dresser in front there's some scissors (and a tub of water nearby).

That looks to me like a barbershop/hairdresser.

One is in Ardoris (can't remember where the other one is).

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think it's a great idea. We shouldn't have to completely delete a character if we decide we'd like to try a bit of a different look.
    Having your look set in stone the minute you finish char creation certainly seems unnecessary, especially considering all the code is already there for us to access - if they'd let us... I vote an enthusiastic YES.... ;)

Soulicide likes this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

Well, if you do not get in the game as early as it is launched, the best lots will be taken. So you have to decide, whether you take time to make a good looking character, or get a suitable lot for your needs. Especially for tournaments there are only few big lots in the PvP area and it is damn hard to get City or bigger lot in scenes that are not lagging terribly if more people appear. Having barbers in the game would allow more people to race for their lots:D

Themo Lock likes this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Just wanted to mention that this 'idea' was part of a stretch goal we didn't quite meet during the kickstarter:

2.25 Million: Mod Tools + Unique Art Creation Skill + Expanded Player Customization (unmet)
    • Work begins to expose options for player modification of the offline game and limited elements of the online game.
    • Skill for "Art Creation" to create actual individual unique art to show and trade in game.
    • "New You" detailed character creator - We will provide tools well beyond the basic choices of gender, body/face/hair types, and layer in morph targets to customize your avatar to be "the real you" at the in-game "New You" salons.
    "New You" Salons - my belief is that most of the kickstarter stretch goals, even the ones we didn't quite meet, are things the developers want to do with this game, it's just a question of time and money.

So if it doesn't make it in Episode 1, I believe chances are good we'll see it in episode 2. ;-)

(and before you say, 'but hey, we're over 2.25 million now! take a look at this post made by Darkstarr back when we passed 2.5:

This week marked a happy milestone for Shroud of the Avatar when we hit the $2.5 million mark in funds raised. We are so humbled that our community believes that much in what we are doing that they are willing to extend us their hard earned cash to fund our project. We want to thank each and every one of you for your contribution both monetarily and in building our thriving community.

The question has now arisen as to what, if anything, we are going to do with the “extra” money. Are we now going to do the $2.25M and $2.5M stretch goals we promised during Kickstarter? That is an easy question to ask but a harder question to answer. When we finished Kickstarter we had a given amount of money and a certain team size. From there we built our schedule, set our milestones, and laid out our tasks. A few months after that I joined the team. Part of my duties as Executive Producer is to manage our scope to meet our promised schedule. All game development requires constant scope management because when you estimated a task 6 months ago it might have changed since then, especially as other work was done. You might also realize a design that seemed fun on paper is not entertaining at all and you have to return to the drawing board, effectively requiring you to do the same task twice, therefore doubling the time spent on that feature.

There have been too many recent examples of Kickstarter projects that went too far down the slippery slope of stretch goals as the money increased. We do not want that to happen to us. We want to focus on the core elements that we think will make this game great: selective multiplayer, offline mode, rich narrative, deep character advancement, sophisticated crafting, detailed player housing, intuitive grouping, robust economy, beautiful views, engaging play spaces, and the ethical conundrums that make Richard’s games so great.

Instead of creating whole new features any time or money we have a surplus of we want to focus on making those core experiences deeper and more polished. That means you will likely see us extend features like player housing or combat before we introduce something like VR support. That does not mean we will never support VR, just not right now.

I know that we all want the same thing which is a great game, as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding and continuing to be such an amazing community.

Sincerely,
    Starr

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Love it. Adds realism. Reflects a mechanic that was in UO. Helps keep the game fun and fresh. Gold sink.

FrostII and Miracle Dragon like this.
  9. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

So far 10/10 votes in favour. Wonder who our first dissenter will be.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I can see the shoppe sign being a pair of scissors crossed with a comb. And a little smock is draped over the Avatar's shoulders while in the chair. :D

Themo Lock and FrostII like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And what a great place to RP ! Chattin' in the old barbershop, love it..
    And the Budner can go there to have the barber assist in his quest to make the "perfect Budner".. hehehe

Budner likes this.
  12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I won't dissent - but I came into this thread looking for a barber shop quartet! Stretch goal for barbershop - barbershop quartets?

Themo Lock and FrostII like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not even one person clicking something to be "different", as per polling habits, that says a lot about this one.

Themo Lock, Net and FrostII like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Let me add that perhaps we need a psychiatrist office too.

Spoon likes this.
  15. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

As long as his name is Dr. Sbaitso.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Polling habits are hard to break apparently. We now have someone who is fine with the current first time/one time "live with it" thinking. I knew it wouldn't last... hehehe

17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well this poll has two questions. The first is whether we should have barber shops. This is relatively easy to answer because barber shops are normal business found in a town.
    The second question is whether there should be game mechanics to allow changing hairstyles. I voted no on this. What would be next, allowing everyone to change every item chosen at character creation? Perhaps someone wants a plastic surgery center for changing nose size. Perhaps a contact lens vendor for changing eye color. Perhaps a torture room for stretching the body a few inches longer. Where would it stop?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.