1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

They could do the same with PVE meteor showers - I would love a PVE event like this.

It would be much like the events in Defiance, if you've ever played that game.

As for control points - that goes all the way back to Tabula Rasa, with taking back cities from the aliens, which was awesome, and all PVE.

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Amazes me what resistance there is to PvP even for the slightest adjustment such as resource abundance..........when it comes to resources I would have thought the biggest threat is the people who will be running bots in the 'safe' areas.

But hey, as all PvPers know......this argument isn't really about the economy or distribution of resources....... its just another anti pvp argument coming from players who don't like it.

3. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Stop making everything so emotional. That's just an attempt at creating a smokescreen. Stick to the facts of the argument, and discuss what we're saying.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Like these facts?

I respect everyone's opinion despite how floored I may feel they are........but for someone to attempt to illustrate them as facts........nah

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

So anybody else notice the loot that the shardfall plants have yet?

Roper Docholiday and Net like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

They put loot on them?

I haven't had time to look yet. Not sure I want to go because it's full of PKs :D

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

nono, its full of anti-PKs haha. They drop black crystal shards, black crystal fragments, sinew, animal bones and fat.

8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

You mean there are players who can actually fight back (by this I mean PKK vs low level players) higher than your fav level to kill aka L5's on a hat quest? :3

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No I mean I was being sarcastic and I actually haven't had chance to go there yet.

Just for clarity player levels mean nothing to me. I will go after a player regardless of level and numbers.

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

its true he tries to kill me whenever he sees me

Womby, Ronan, Isaiah and 2 others like this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I don't see any naked people running around the PvP shardfalls for resources, because even when players aren't around, you will most likely have to fight off one or two Flesh Flayers. (I believe these were placed here specifically for that purpose). The devs know what they're doing.

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I also die a lot as well ;)

Moonshadow, Isaiah, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

So i am thinking that the sinew and black crystal shards could be the unique resources that have been mentioned. Sinew probably for bow strings .. i wonder what we can use the crystals for. Maybe for a new alloy or enchant. Could be mistaken but sooty bark seems more common in there also. The risk of farming in there and getting out alive is fairly high since those golems can cast earthquake and the plants have a massive range with poison spit and root, not to mention other players. Pax et Veritas and 4B have prevented PK'ing in there for large sections of each day and even with a dozen or more people harvesting there is enough for everybody. The respawn times on the plants is close to being instant too. I am interested to see these areas in action once crafting is fully implemented, looting is enabled and wipes are further apart.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is not fact, this is your interpretation of randomly collected info. The reason for PvP being successful or not successful in a game does not need to be blamed on PvP. It could easily be the game's fault. Crappy PvP does not retain players.

Make PvP fun, engaging, and reward success. Then PvP thrives.

I think you are misinterpreting what the Devs have laid out. This is why we go back and forth. If I thought for a second that you were correct. I'd be right here fighting the same fight. I have already but the more info they provide the less I believe what you are claiming is the case.

Simple example: World level
    95% of the world has 100 spawns of the resource.
    5% of the world has 100 spawns of the resources

This is likely to be bad and hard to balance. You come off as if this is what you believe to be the case.

Simple example: Zone level
    5% of the PvE zones have rare resources. 100 nodes in each
    5% of the PvP zones have rare resources. 100 nodes in each

95% of the world (PvE) has 100 spawns of the resources but they are dispersed to 5% of the higher end content zones
    5% of the world (PvP) has 100 spawns of the resource, not dispersed

Land mass wise there is an even amount of resources. Globally, it's more abundant in PvP.
    Who says they are not going to have this? Just because they are not including the PvE content in a PvP content thread does not mean PvE is excluded. They very easily can have this kind of PvE event planned.

15. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

It is fact. It is a collected piece of info, as you yourself just wrote. That is what a fact actually is - a collected piece of info. And in no way is it about interpretation - people always do leave the PVP zones in a game first, they are always the first to empty out. You'll note I did not try to analyse why this happens (so there was no interpretation going on regarding this fact), but I will now suggest one of the reasons for this event occurring in games in general below.

So how is SotA going to shine in PVP to retain people in its PVP zones where all the other typical MMORPGs (with varying degrees of structured PVP and free style PVP) failed? It already is at a disadvantage by alienating a lot of people who might otherwise have tried PVP, by making the zone full loot (that is never very popular, even among casual PVE/PVP players who don't mind the odd bit of PVP). In short - there will already be far fewer people in its PVP zones than might otherwise have ventured in if it wasn't for the ruleset. Numbers will start to reduce from this far lower number now, and usually the biggest issue for PVP zones is when a zone feels empty, people start to abandon it even more as nobody likes to play in an empty area.

The thing I'm looking at here is access to these resources through direct means. In this way, a large portion of players (being the people who don't want to play in full loot PVP zones) will not have access or will be concerned over their access to these resources.

16. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I love the polarization of this thread...

To think of how many people i have argued against in the past is now arguing against you lollie, They are not bullying you they just disagree with your view point. many of us are willing to head to the middle ground and try to make this game fun. You are so worried about perceived inequalities that you miss the trees for the Forrest.

You cry about the resources within any of the pvp zone's yet my self and many other players can attest to is that if we are on a resource farming run that pvp sections is not where we go. why cause it is so much easier to farm resources in pve area's. by a lot i might add. i wish we could get a report from one of the devs to pull up what percent of resources are gathered on 1 day or month whatever collectively from pve zones vs pvp zones. i guarentee you that the pve zone gather a lot more.

I took a day off from arguing on this post to spend time with my family. they all decided they wanted to play in the game. so as a family we played the game. guess what we took a dip through the pvp zones to see the new mob's killed a few plants guess what killing plants worth it killing the obsidian there so not worth it. spent a little over an hour there. never once was attacked. while running around novia we found several people that had not done the hat quest yet so we ran it with them to help out. the point here is that yes while i spent some time with my kids in the pvp zone's the amount of resources thier are not worth the time i can get else where. so we go to rares... even if the rares were 2 to 1 there respawn time will still take effect and resetting instance. which we all know that pve/pvm players are using just fine as well. so while there is countless amount of what u could call instances in pve/pvm how many instances are thier in pvp 1 or maybe 2? so even though the resources will be in your words more abundent in pvp in reality pve will always have more.

I have come to realize that with forum threads and politics when you deal with extremist on either side there will never be a solution. why cause they are so entrenched into their own ideas that reason or compromise can not be found. People claim they want things to be fair and balanced but what in case tends to be they want it to be fair for them and themselves. they have no true idea what compromise is just what there opinion is.

I spent two days discussing things on the opposite side of ristra. we did not insult each other and we listened to each other and presented veiws. I ended up agreeing with him on a couple of points and he agreed with me on a few of mine. what we have seen here in this thread and many other's is a lack of listing to other opinions and the continue forcing of one set of ideal's.

I Personally hate the idea and concept of blocking people cause i like to hear everyone's concerns on matter's. But more and more im finding that the content of some people's thoughts are not only blatantly bad skewed and off topic. they troll the thread and create havoc stopping any real progression of idea's. My attempt and many others to drag this conversation back into way's to create meaningful pvp content get side tracked by extremist.

Should this continue i do believe it will be in the best interest that several players get together from both sides of the line that are moderates (key being not extremist) and create a new thread for discussion. where not only where we collective block extremist so the thread does not get side tracked by absolute fanaticism. This may be the only way a real discussion can be accomplished.

Cause in the end extremist will all be unhappy. why cause a lot of what they deem unfair is going to happen. no matter how much they cry or scream their cause is lost
    examples.
    the world will always be no non conscentual pvp.
    their will always be raised resource values in pvp areas
    that was an abbreviated list.

I am going to go back and play the game that i truly have come to enjoy. The petty bickering back and forth has to stop. So to help facilitate this i will be removing my self from the conversation. there is no point in trying to create meaningful conversation here when the few just want to create havoc.

Feel free to hunt me down in game for conversation or test your luck in a dual. either will be fun however i do believe u will win the dual. My name here is the same in game. have fun every one. Most importantly

PLAY THE GAME YOUR WAY NEVER BOW DOWN TO ANY ONE ELSE'S PLAY STYLE
    Roper DocHoliday

Moonshadow, 4EverLost and E n v y like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am not going to get into this "my play style is better than other play styles" back and forth. I seek balance, an equilibrium.

You're trying to insert your personal market research and get people here to follow along with it. Not going to happen when your bias is not the same bias as everyone else's.

I will side with Portalarium's market research and long history of working knowledge of the industry.

If you were in here voicing concerns of potential favoritism or unbalance that defacto forces people into PvP. I'd get it, I have voiced the same concerns many times.

But what you keep doing is saying scrap the plans because it alienates your playstyle without concerns of alienating other playstyles. This is no different than the PvPers yelling at PvE for commenting in what they consider PvP threads.

This isn't going to be a PvE game with PvP elements. It's a shared world where PvE and PvP will be living together.

Patience. They have a lot more details we do not know.

Trying to get them to scrap their plans without implementing and taking the time to dial it in to exactly what they want just isn't going to go anywhere.

Might as well be on the deck combat threads asking for them to scrap it. Not going to happen.

18. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

And how does asking for balance in both areas (equal resources in both PVE areas as well as PVP areas) alienate a playstyle?

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You haven't asked for that. You have been assuming that more abundance in PvP zones = unbalanced.

What if 95% of the zones had 1,000,000% more nodes than the Shardfalls. Only there is a tesla tower that 1 shots anyone that gathers from them. Abundance with zero access.

What if 95% of the zones had only 1 node. Freely clickable and never runs out. Not abundant but 100% accessable.

The word abundance means nothing on the macro economics level. Balance is placed in terms of what the server creates and what the server deletes. Which is unknown info to us.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I am asking for equal distribution of resources through both PVE and PVP zones. I have stated this in pretty much every post of any length I have made so far in this thread.

You didn't answer my question.

How does asking for balance in both areas (equal resources in both PVE areas as well as PVP areas) alienate a playstyle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.