1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Player Owned Towns Update: Scope, NPC Buildings, Icons, etc.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

They will have enough NPC lots to cover the lots bought with pledges and add ons, they wouldn't force you to go into a POT. There will also be more lots in addition to that amount that will be available for launch players as well.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-selection-sequence-process.11466/

Tahru and majoria70 like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

3. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

I guess I'm thinking you could fix that with permission settings.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Likely... However that requires a Player to have a Lot and an appropriately sized Lot Deed to devote to the marketplace.
    Wouldn't it be better if "Central Market" were an NPC 'Building' that could be configured for a player owned or NPC town, where any player could place a vendor?

I actually proposed "Stall Lots" that would be 5x5 meters (6 equivalent to a Row lot... 24 to a Village lot) that would otherwise use the same rules as any other lot. Deeds could be purchased, and buildings (Various types of vendor stalls) could be placed on them. I think this has a low probability of being implemented, though it doesn't require Any new development beyond establishing the lot size. With this, central markets could be configured by the Dev team in NPC towns, while POT owners could designate as much market space as they wished using the square footage allotted to them.

But, the capability for Central Markets was promised, and I'd like to hear the Developer's plans for them.

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I would think that, even though they are both on the coast, this wouldn't be allowed. It lets you move across the country to quickly. If you allowed that rule, you could move to Jannasford or across the bay near Aerie, and in my mind that wouldn't be acceptable.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    how else are you supposed to get to an Island? Swim? He is talking about an island off the coast of port phoenix.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I believe the original scenario was linking two POTs on opposite sides of a bay directly. It would be possible to walk around the bay from one to another. The 'ferry' would provide an instantaneous (Assuming implementation doesn't change from the current 'ferries' as exist between Ardoris and Kingsport for example) transport, removing the necessity of walking around the bay on the overland map.

8. Godra

Godra Avatar

Thanks Ice Queen. That link you sent was perfect. I didn't see that post.

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Yw, I figured you just probably hadn't seen it :) Glad to help :)

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

You could also make the count weighted on the lot size. Example 2 populated row lots giving same bonus as a populated village lot. No penalty for having varied lot sizes. Overall count would still be better, but not devalue bigger lots in the community. In my thoughts bigger lots would have bigger families, more staff etc, so that there would be more weight applied to the blessing bonus.

11. Zed3

Zed3 Avatar

Not if the Market-NPC's only listed prices in the local town, and didn't update prices instantly. His list should only list items from the last time he went around and checked all the merchant npc's, or had them deliver to him an updated list. You would still have to travel from town to town to find the best deals and prices. You just wouldn't have to talk to every single vendor unless they had something you where interested in. Also if you only ask market npcs about particular items, you might miss out on deals on other things you might have caught if you where browsing their wares.

@DarkStarr
    I strongly wish you would reconsider that for two reasons.
    1: the regional economies of POC's should not be excluded from the picture.
    2: POC's sound useless for solo/offline players.

If you are going to add ANY city into the game, player owned or otherwise. it should fully exist in the game. don't half-ass it. Please give it a portalarium selected trainer, or other npc. Give the single & offline players a reason to visit these and not loath their existence in the game.
    Give all players a reason to visit player towns vs stock town and put them on a more balanced footing please.

Preferably there would be roaming trainers that could hop from player town to player town to make it more fair, but if the technology isn't there for that, then after you have worked with the players to design their town you could throw in an extra npc of any type that was relevant to the game and appropriate to the theme of the town. It could be a merchant, a trainer, a quest giver etc.

mitnero likes this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

or maybe request a new list for a few gold, wait a day and you'll have it from that dealer. that way you'll know the list is up to date, and you personally won't have to travel to each town to see their wares. the more often the list is ordered, the more accurate the prices should be as it strengthens the business relationships between the npc vendors within the towns, one would think.

i'd be honored if my town were included in some port-created questline. it will help reinforce regional trade and commerce, while having people flow around the world as it really is. maybe when you log into the single player offline mode, it asks you if you wish to update scenes in the background - and while you are playing it downloads data for pot lot placements, house types, deco, npc patterns, etc. that way you can have a fuller experience. i mean, port is building pots into the multiplayer game, why not make that game expereince richer for everyone? - i'd think something like that would have to be for chapter 3-4 though, just thinking about the sheer complexity of incorporating all that at this time, with the 100+ pots yikes. as a pot owner, i'm willing to wait for that type of integration into the game.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like this idea very much. If adopted this may give the boats stretch goal a boost as well - I"m still hopeful for the chance of piloting my own ship once SOTA goes gold.

Abydos, Duke Arradin and Themo Lock like this.
  14. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I am going to keep my Pledge reward House boats / Galleons in a desperate hope that they someday will become able to sail the seas.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

As will I !

16. Zed3

Zed3 Avatar

For me ideally it could be handled as such:
    most small, and all medium/large town have a 'local market' npc that has up to 1 'day' (ingame) old prices of up to x items from each vendor in the current town only. each vendor can highlight sales, popular goods, etc but can't list everything in existence.

some medium towns and all large would also include a regional market npc, who would have delayed copies of the info sent in from local market npc's within the region. These could be up to 2 days old, and are updated on rotation basis, but like you mentioned customers and vendors alike can pay a small fee for more frequent updates, or for extended item lists as by default these guys only track the more common goods and those they get more inquires about.

Some large towns would also have 'global market' npcs. These would collect info from the regional dudes and show you representative pricing of all the main merchants of the world and common commodity pricing. His data is up to 3 days old, and only includes those who meet certain thresholds, or if vendors / players pay up to get more detailed info or more frequent updates.

It should be harder to get your goods recognized at the regional and global markets. If I have 2 pieces of string that I'm trying to sell for 20 gold each for instance, the local guy will list it if noone else locally is selling string, but the regional and global guys know of people selling string in bulk, 2000 pieces for like 50 gold. Now if I manage to get like 20 pieces, and drop the price way down into the copper range, I might not have the bulk but I do beat the normal guys on price, so the regional guy takes notice. and if I keep them in stock for a few days even the global guy might take notice of me as a cheap source.

Market npc's could exist at local chamber - of - commerce's where as the game expands in later chapters additional economic stimulus activities could take place at. perhaps the existence/funding of the chamber of commerce can hinge on the local economy. A certain level of trading would have to take place to attract a regional or global market npc.

This is why I think it should start out simple, such as a single roaming/placed npc per town, if we stick to NPC's that already exist they can just clone their existing work. I'm trying to find a way to not expand the scope of POTS, but something simple to make them relevant to singleplayer & offline users, as well as keep their economies stimulated same as stock towns. Are blessings going to be restricted only to POTs or will stock towns get those as well I wounder? Right now I don't see the draw of a POT... some where out in the boonies, less services than a real town, and a possibly egocentric ruler who can boot you out at the drop of a hat if someone stirs up any kind of 'drama'

by having a single plot or npc that was 'portalariums choice' we wouldn't have to worry about players meta-gaming it and trying to get op towns. the devs would get a tiny slice of the POTs that was set aside to 'make the town better fit into the game world'

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@daveron you say medium size pots and above. where do you draw your line in the sand, specifically?

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The flip side of that coin is that in a Game Run Town, your neighbor is your neighbor and you have no say or control over who that might be. If he's the source of drama, you're stuck with him. I'm also curious to know what services you believe won't be available in a POT.

19. Bux

Bux Avatar

1st .. don't let "blessings" affect PvP .. stay as far away from pay 2 win as you can!

2nd .. my idea for my small town .. its called .. NoLag ... totally flat .. no zoom problems .. easiest to code .. an arena .. and 1 merchant next to the arena that sells regs and repair kits .. thats it

all lots in NoLag are for recall purposes only .. no buildings and no storage of items

Gaelis likes this.
  20. Zed3

Zed3 Avatar

Correct me if I've been misinformed, but I've seen it mentioned (even in this thread) there are certain things that require NPC's ingredients, training, etc. If player owned towns are going to be a thing, I would much rather they where on equal footing with game-towns. Such that npc's that only show up in towns should have an equalish chance of being in game-towns and player-towns.
    50,000 km3 Town, 3K; if static, preferably I would do it based on level of commerce though for game towns and player towns. more merchants = more market NPC's

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.