PaxLair Player Owned Town Scene Design and Test

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Thanks some more Winfield for asking the questions that inquiring minds want to know.

Music for the PoT to be a choice, perhaps more than one track in the PoT. I could see an example being sedate music in town center, and spooky music in the dark woods.

I would never have guessed Solania was Kingsport in disguise. That fact bolsters the idea that one could snatch any piece of existing scene, and make ones own via added assets and biome changes.

PoT permissions coming later is not a problem for me, but hopefully will be in game at go live. Testing for that should not be terribly hard, assuming the have the permission stuff ironed out for player homes/chests/basements.

My favorite burger hang out in San Antonio during college was Chris Madrids, and Mi Tierra's is the 24 hour Mexican food joint for 2am study breaks (hope the Christmas lights are still up). Of course college was late 70s, they were both still there a couple of years ago.

Have a fun weekend.

2. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

That will be up to the imagination and desires of the PoT owner. I don't know if there would be a rule preventing one from just copying Braemar outright. Perhaps there will be some some style consultants arise like there are for music and coat of arms. Getting to look at a library of usable assets would be helpful too. As well, some measured grid maps/sketches/outlines of some of the in game, already in game scenes would also be useful.

I know there are maps of many scenes but for example the available map of Ravensmoor does not have lots on it, and is is resisting my size estimations. My Cubit Measure of Prosperity just is not up to the task. I was thinking of stacking skeleton corpses end to end, but I'm not sure if the bone pile is 4 feet or 2 meters long. If they would define the borders, and even place one known lot outline on the map for PoT planning purposes, proper planning would move along. Guessing usually means a hiccups down the line, with a massive redo possibility.

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Dear Duke,

I think you need to put on a tattered robe and roll around in some mud and leaves. Then you can size up Ravensmoor by number of seconds of a crazy man screaming being chased by skeleton mages wide by a similar number of seconds of a crazy man being chased by skeleton footmen long. Then put on your wedding outfit and do it again in a known town so you can get an impression of the size of Ravensmoor.

Back to being on topic!

;)

Abydos and Bones13 [MGT] like this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Here's a view of one of our other ideas for our boroughs. This time it was Themo Lock of our design team putting all the ideas together in visual form

Golden Cove - Island - Hamlet size for lot layout.

[​IMG]

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Expanded on the Golden Cove template to make it more reusable for larger PoT sizes.

[​IMG]

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

An example of the heavily forested scene we designed and the section cut from it to make Lockbrier (Crossroads Village)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Template concept for our underground PvP scene Dragons Watch.
    [​IMG]

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Lord Baldrith and Winfield like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I own Lockbrier (crossroads) and Dragons Watch (holdfast), Pindar owns Golden Cove (Hamlet). If you could just list us all under Paxlair that would be great. (5 PoTs total)

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This gives me hope that I might be able to get what I'd like for Dawn's Keep. I'll be very excited to see it in reality soon.

Congratulations to Pax Lair!

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

just keep in mind that the only template that has actually been approved is Paxlair itself ^.^ the more people that want to use the same design (or a section of it) the more likely it will get looked at. For example, that island template is being designed for both Golden Cove and the Island of Wonders... and hopefully others that want an island PoT. All our designs are intended for reuse by as many people as possible (they are not private or unique).

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Themo, On your underground template, I noticed you had many tunnels connecting rooms. Is this needed or can you have one big cavern area?

Sean Silverfoot, Abydos and Winfield like this.
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Don't see a reason why it couldn't be an open cavern with varying heights for the different lot areas.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There is almost no information at all on what is possible for an underground scene, that was just what i had envisioned for a connected cave system. Much like Paxlair it will probably need to be redone a number of times before (or if) it becomes a reality.

15. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Well I working on a template that will be a mountain top wintery scene with at least 3 connect pots, but am way behind in its design due to my struggles in learning how to use Campaign Cartography software. If I don't get it done in time to be considered as a template. I sure hope someone else has a similar design that's gets approved that I will be able to work off of.

Miracle Dragon and Winfield like this.
  16. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

I have a technical question for anyone who is drawing up these templates and playing around with them.

As I create a overland map is it important to make it a certain size to work on? I have read that all POT's are the same size ect. Just want to make sure I am drawing and tinkering on something that is of close size to what Port is working with? As you can tell I don't know much about drawing, but am on a crash coarse with this Campaign Cartography 3 software.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

You can start with the PoT scene as 1 square km (1000m by 1000m).

To scale this for your housing ...

The City Lots are: 40m x 60m
    Scene size is therefore 1000m = 16 2/3 city lots (long wise - 60m side).

So lay out about 17 city lots end to end on your map, and that is about how big the scene can be in each direction.

I understand this applies to any size PoT at this point, from Holdfast to Metropolis until we learn from the Devs if there are some limitations on this approach.

Use this calculator when you want to look at how much Housing you can put in your scene based on your purchased PoT size. - http://sotahousing.com/SotA_Player_Town_Calculator.html

The templates used City Lots, then you subdivide those up into smaller housing lots that you desire.

The relationships between the lot sizes and how they can be subdivided naturally is as shown below:

[​IMG]

Acred, Arianna, Net and 7 others like this.
  18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

That's a good set of instructions. I was thinking of doing some reworking of my town design.

If I understood correctly we can 'zone' out city sized lots and the devs will allow those to be subdivided on the fly by the POT owner. Is that correct? Does that only apply to city lots in the design, or any lot size (that they can be subdivided further on the fly) ?

Winfield and Bones13 [MGT] like this.
  19. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I think you are correct, here is what I understand:

A PoT Template will contain just City Lots, so there is ample flat space to subdivide (or combine) them in to other lot sizes, and within them subdivided further, all the way to row houses ... as long as the for sale sign/stone can exist outside the lot and not on another adjacent lot (a bit tricky for row houses).

Subdivisions must be snapped to the city lot grid, that is a village lot cannot be rotated 45 degrees inside a city lot. This is how I understand it may go:
    1. PoT owners will fill out the questionnaire stating their overall lot sizes adding up to their maximum allowed housing lot amount for the PoT they bought.
      • If this is all the owner provides (and some may chose not to go further than this), then the designers will chop up/combine lots as needed to meet the numerical count the owner wants.
    2. PoT owners can pick an existing Template (this is still To Be Determined on how many templates will exist, but more might exist over time I think). Then chop up /combine those city lots into the desired lots using a drawing.
    3. PoT owners can send in a new Template idea with City Lots outlined clearly, for potential use and re-use by the Devs. No guarantees of course that it will be made.
      • If the new Template is made, then the PoT owner would chop up/combine the city lots into desired lots as the next step.
    So "on the fly" is correct when used with the concept that the developers will take a template of city lots, and divide things up to at least meet the overall specification in #1 above. Beyond that depends of course on time and resources.

Does this help?

Acred, Soleidad, Jatvardur and 5 others like this.
  20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I wish we had a better term. When your designing, think of it as a flat area that can house anything from city to row. The template would be "overloaded" with these around. The POT owner would then figure out how he wants to use those spaces as shown in the Template and Lots image Winfield posted. The Red is static in the design. You choose what size you want to use in it, which for us is in the blue.

After it's built, there is no other adjustments...for now at least.

Follow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.