The Combat System....

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Tiberius Theron, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TantX

TantX Avatar

I was talking to my wife about it last night, and she was laughing at how garbage it sounded. She asked me, though, "Didn't you say you liked the combat? You were playing for hours and hours non-stop when you got the game." And she was right, at first, I thought it was cool. I couldn't wait to play with it more, to expand my deck and explore my options.

Then I realized how it ultimately works. What I contributed to low level options and pre-alpha I came to realize was the foundation of the combat system as a whole. I then started comparing how it feels to how other games work, and realized why I thought it was so "wonky" as I used to call it. It wasn't because of balance issues; the problem was inherent in its design.

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Skip the drama, it's not worth it. I didn't pretend to know your intentions. Instead I showed why you would never honor that deal, something which you now have proven by stating that it was impossible without foul play. That deal was fluff rhetorics, so you never put your money on the line. Just another exercise in futility since such arguments couldn't lead to a productive result.

But with all of the things I said in that post you still perceive me as some sort of adversary here? Why? Did you miss/ignore the bottom half?

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Back on topic... Time to flush the deck and build the rest of the game.

4. TantX

TantX Avatar

I was typing out something to respond to you, but I quickly realized that you are just white knighting the deck system and derailing the topic by focusing on me, the big bad wolf. I get it. There's no point in going further with you. In short, my offer is real, whatever you think is irrelevant in that matter. As for everything else you wrote, I read it; it was rehashed mix of others' feeble ideas that does nothing to fix the plethora of criticisms and a lot of flag waving and neutral ground "people like Pepsi, but people also like Coke" statements. Even restaurants have to decide what they serve their clientele, though; in this case, it's more like RC Cola or Tab...

[​IMG]

Please.

mikeaw1101 and Ice Queen like this.
  5. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Yeah keep this on topic. I've noticed when topics start touching on things that might make the developers uncomfortable, the threads some how start to veer off topic and get closed. I don't know why that always seems to happen. I suppose I can speculate, but it just seems to be an unusual trend.

If the deck system isn't going to get better, and stands to only get worse with the so called strategic improvements, then maybe it really is a good idea to drop this system. Although I won't push the point. If the thread must be silenced then it must be silenced.

Although my last word on it is this... Lord British may have came up with the idea, but he doesn't have to play it, we do. If we continue not to like it, then don't be amazed if the rest of the gaming community doesn't like it.

4EverLost, Dewderonomy and Isaiah like this.
  6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I like the cars system, it's dynamic, innovative and fun.

But I know, unfortunately, many people who do not want to play SotA because of this system. :(

For me, this system seems to be negative for the PvP community.

Isaiah, Themo Lock and Dewderonomy like this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not actually as negative as some would have you think. Plenty of people that actually spend time in game have stated that they are here due to liking the system. With the upcoming adjustment to life and death trees, as well as possible restrictions on points spent on passives, i can see many more being happy since the number one complaint in game is being forced to use certain skills to remain competitive. Allot of the people complaining about it are not actually members of the PvP community anywhere other than on the forum and have not been so for a long time.

4EverLost, Abydos, Net and 1 other person like this.
  8. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I also love the deck system, mainly because of combos.

9. TantX

TantX Avatar

Plenty of people who are in the game, yes. What about all the people who have stopped playing specifically because of the combat system? And while the number one complaint in-game (ie, among players who can still stomach logging in and playing) is the lack of flexibility in skills and options, that doesn't mean changing those skills is going to entice people to come back or take a second look when the system itself isn't different.

I'd also refrain from the not-so-subtle jabs at the detractors with "these aren't even PvPers", since many have left because of the system's basic mechanics while there are others who are still willing to give it a shot don't necessarily want to play as a mage with an unfun combat system to boot.

10. TantX

TantX Avatar

Most modern MMOs have combo systems nowadays that are far more intuitive. This isn't a SotA-specific invention.

Isaiah and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

For my this isn't a great way to go because it actually forces players to spend points in areas that they don't really want. I would prefer to see more options such as taking consumables out of the deck (could cost points to do so), expanding the hand size further as well as looked glyphs attached. New spells such as the classic mana vamp and reflect would also be good.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You seem to be the one handing out the not-so-subtle jabs. You can not play test from the forum, nor can you be a part of the in game community. You have no interest at all in discussing anything which is why most of us don't respond to you. You just want to voice your opinion and insult and chase off those that do not agree with it. Preach doom and gloom all you want, but don't expect it to be considered constructive feedback.

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yeah i wasnt keen on that when i heard it..Chris was high on medication though so lets just wait and see what he meant lol

4EverLost and Miracle Dragon like this.
  14. TantX

TantX Avatar

That might be your opinion, but when it comes to the combat system, I'm not speaking alone. I just lack the filter to baby people who are ardently defending a system that so many backers and potential backers alike are criticizing openly outside of the forums and the game. Public opinion of a game isn't waged in-game and on the official forums alone. You should know better.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yes that is your opinion, which others share and i stated my opinion, which others share. The difference is i actually fully test the subject of these opinions each release, post bug reports and suggest adjustments (which happen) where as you do not. I also don't feel the need to state my opinion 30 times in one thread (which is why i wont look in here again for a while).

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

We earn perhaps too many points at hight levels. Let the free choice to the player, and give less points. We sould not earn points at each level.
    On the other side, I would like to see XP CAP per day in the game. Just like UO whit the +0.2 / hours per skill.

My trust is in the hands of Portalarium :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Reducing points is just another way to stifle template creativity, it will limit the number of viable templates creating quite a dull and un interesting system.

Isaiah and Abydos like this.
  18. TantX

TantX Avatar

You testing it every day is 100% unrelated to the comment:
    It makes it sound like this isn't as big an issue, when it clearly is. It treats the topic like the ravings of three or four people in these threads. Many of us don't play because until this is fixed, there is no reason to care about anything else. That's the problem. This game doesn't offer enough incentive to spend hours testing when the basic mechanics for how to fight mobs and players alike is off-putting. Those comments get me inbox messages like:

And:

Two different backers. I'm not naming them out of respect (if they want to submit themselves to the pitchforks of the community, they may), but the sentiment is out there, and that's just from today. There's a deflation in effort to even try with this rose-tinted community. When people don't play, don't criticize them for not being die-hards - reflect on why the game is so repulsive they don't care to try. They're the ones who will help determine whether or not you have a game to play this time next year.

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I see. I haven't played any recent MMOs, so I was not aware of this.

20. TantX

TantX Avatar

That's all right, I don't think many people here have. It isn't just with MMOs, though, which SotA is claiming to also be: single player games, even RPGs, have combo systems and free character customization. I think SotA would benefit from seeing what other options they have among popular games with slightly different systems, try to make something unique out of that instead of mixing MMO/sandbox games with turn-based card games in such a copy/paste sort of way.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.