$5.00 for 10 bank slots in add-on store? Say what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G Din, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raok

Raok Avatar

I agree that 5 dollars is a slight bit high for something that is so cheap in-game. Either they should tone it down just a tad (either a cheaper price or 15-20 slots instead of 10), or if they're greedy little asses, they'll increase the in-game price until 5 dollars looks attractive. Don't be greedy. That's exactly the kind of thing that drove people away from AAA MMOs and towards indie titles like this.

Also, I'll add my name to the list of people who think regional banking and a global cap is completely silly. I love regional banking because it's exactly the kind of annoying little old-school thing that seems immersive for no good reason. The global cap, on the other hand, just makes no sense. Yes, regional banking means I can spread my items out to take advantage of more and more empty spaces, but the downside is that I have to walk to each bank to get something out.

Numa, Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I like the regional banking but I hate the fact you see stuff in other banks.

I think you should just have the spaces you have in each bank individually. But they all have the same amount of space each.

When you buy extra spaces then each bank gets this added space.

Then the price on extra space should be based on how many spaces you have already. So the more space you have the more it costs to get more. In game money or real world.

This way the new guy starting out and mostly just using one bank gets cheaper space. But then later in the game when you are using more banks and have more sources of income then it makes it worth it to spend more on more spots.

Beli likes this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sorry I fail to see why Portalarium should actually have to state that the bank system in Portalarium isn't just a copy of over other game. Players tend to play a game before spending money on addons like banking slots.

I would say that the concern is over exaggerated.

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Just because you feel that way doesn't mean my concern isn't a valid one.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This is true however local banks have been put in place and purpose to enhance local economies and promote trade. Expandable bank slots with gold are available in most games and there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be available in SotA........everyone like to have additional storage space and it also creates a gold sink that is always required. In terms of someone spending $5 on additional bank space.....why not? people don't have to do it, its optional. Is it work $5? you won't know until the game launches.....to some people it will be and others it won't.

Some might see this as a 'concern'.....my personal reaction to the whole thing is 'so what?' because quite frankly a price tag of $5 attached to optional bank space that you can even obtain in-game really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Manerd and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

And this is how insignificant I find the bank addon:

[​IMG]

And I just learned something........you can only buy 9 of an item at a time.....shocking!!

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL I guess you wanted bank slots;)

Miracle Dragon, smack and Gaelis like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can never have enough bank slots lol

smack, Duke Arradin and majoria70 like this.
  9. Curt

Curt Avatar

so plans to have them in one bank or to spread it out?

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I agree with you almost completely on this. I don't mind the local banks and the local economies, in fact I love the intention behind the design for these. I do believe having increase for real money is a GREAT way to generate income as I know lots of people that will happily drop money to increase them. I also agree that the entire value question is up in the air until it goes live. However, acknowledging some things we see now as possibly being problematic is the entire purpose of beta/alpha/pre-alpha testing. My best example (off topic) is combat. There are a lot of concerns about all aspects of it and lots of people advocating the wait and see mentality to deride other people's concerns.

I'll agree that my concern on value is mitigated somewhat because, as you point out, value can change and is a personal opinion based on available money. However, my description concern isn't (in my opinion). Outside of the forums is there anything that officially states (in game or on the add-on page) how our banking works or is it completely trial and error to learn about the global limit being applied regionally? Forum posts explaining it are useless because unless you know there is a need to search for something specific you can't find the specific topics that talk about it, i.e. how does banking work. Once the game goes live I'd be surprised if the majority of new players hit the past years of forum topics for anything other than troubleshooting.

As for the grand scheme of things, is taking 10 seconds to type up a description for how banking works in the add-on store going to really limit the teams ability to code something else?

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not sure what you mean, I expect it will just expand the overall bank space that is then eaten up by local banks depending what you put in them.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I bought one, was going to get more until i remembered i need 20 hot tubs to live.

13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Don't like it?Don't pay for it.

Pay for it with ingame Gold, as you 100% can do.
    No need to complain about some thing so trivial, in my opinion?

Did i buy bank upgrades? No. Not yet. Because i start with one thousand(!) bank slots , two lots and two basements. I don't see myself every filling them.

14. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Next you will have to pay extra if you want a "Start game" button. I love how anti EA everyone here is yet for some reason seems to need to defend the same anticonsumer practices when it comes from THIS company. When did they stop being a company selling a product you want to buy and become a religion?

15. smack

smack Avatar

I think they can definitely adjust the price for the bank slots down or increase the number of slots you get. I think most of the digital add-ons should be priced lower. I also think everyone is free to speak with their wallets and not buy any if they feel it's overpriced. At least they'll have the metrics to show players aren't buying it. Except Envy The Hoarder, of course. :p

Only get it now with actual cash if you want to help with ongoing funding and/or you need the space now pre-launch and don't want the inconvenience of earning gold to pay for it in-game. Or upgrade your pledge as the number of default slots scales with each tier, which also provides ongoing funding and added rewards.

I also wonder how banks and personal inventory slots will work for the offline game. Look at Pillars of Eternity, no bank needed as you get an unlimited Stash which you can actually disable in the in-game Options if you want a different experience.

Jatvardur likes this.
  16. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Avatar

right up there with what was teh hhhhoooorrrrrssssseeee aaaahhhhmmmmmuuuuhhhh $3? OTOH horse armor was useless...

I look at things this way: it's either (a) non subscription funded w/o nickling and diming for junk or semi-useful things or (b) it's subscription again w/no nickling and diming... Guild Wars managed this...

17. G Din

G Din Avatar

The issue I have is selling bank slots before the game is even released. Do we know exactly how much bank space everyone will start with? Will it change? Will there be a global bank? Makes more sense to sell bank space (like GW2) after game is released. Not pressure people into purchasing bank slots before game release.

Bank space should be used to maintain the game and help with episode 2. Not fund episode 1 development. Is Portalarium still hiring ? Maybe you should bring me on board to help out.

18. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

One think I would change: Each store item should bring its own bank slot for the purchasing account.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Curt, Lord Baldrith, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If you have access to dev+ then I'd recommend the following thread and it's ground-breaking approach to this problem:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r12-testing-books-as-contracts.16732/

(the title will make more sense as you read it)

;)

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I havent slapped an algorithm on this yet but would it be better to just upgrade pledge level to get more slots. This might be why they chose the amount of slots for $5. I suppose it depends on your pledge level but Id rather upgrade the entire account if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.