$5.00 for 10 bank slots in add-on store? Say what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G Din, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Not really. Quick math of $500 to get 1000 bank slots is as much as upgrading from base pledge to Citizen which only has 140. All the other stuff that you get by upgrading makes much more sense to me, but assuming you only want bank space the step up to the next few levels really doesn't get as much bang for the buck.

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Why are bank slots so limited in the first place? Some assume that performance is the issue. Others assume it is an attempt to thwart unwanted economic activity. If performance is the argument, then is poor performance acceptable if droves of people decide to buy the added space? I hope not. It would be hard to believe that we were asked to contribute more cash to buy poorer performance. Whatever the reason for very limited bank space, it smacks of a controlling hand that makes me uncomfortable to say the least. The quest for a utopian community has always failed. If someone gets sick and dies from a bad egg, should we respond by raising the price of all eggs to the point that no one will ever get sick again?

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Post launch, there has to be a way to maintain income.
    Many people will buy bank slots with in-game gold.
    But many will also opt for the convenience of buying from the add-on store.

Themo Lock likes this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Yes there is, SELLING THE GAME, selling expansion packs, selling episode 2 etc

THAT'S WHAT BUY TO OWN MEANS

If not, then this is a false advertising claim waiting to happen

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Themo Lock and Budner like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You went way too high.
    Between the first tier steps this is a real factor
    $45 get 20 slots
    $55 get 30 slots
    $65 get 40 slots
    this is where a major part of all pledgers are.
    Getting them in early on the upgrade train is crucial. IIRC only about 3 % of steamers upgrade but if they do then they are much more likely to do so again.

Themo Lock and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If beneficial to the economy is defined as keeping prices down by preventing hoarding, then wouldn't making everything free and available in chests and just lying around be even more beneficial? I think not. Real economic activity is generated when someone starts working hard to earn enough gold through game play to afford that rare or semi-rare item. The economic activity is that guy gathering resources to sell, vendoring, trading and etc. to earn the cash. If said rare item was made easily available through game mechanics manipulation, then the economic activity would never occur.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed that all of those also are driving the economy. But what was refered to here was that not having unrestricted bank slots leads to players selling of their loot. While unlimited bank slots would lead to more "I might want this later" hoarding. Now if everyone is hoarding resources then there will be no surplus for the crafters to buy and craft from. So
    limited>unlimited
    after that there is the question, how limited? Where there needs to be some sort of balance between usability and restriction. This then leads to there being an initial harsh limit with a progression model where you can increase your slot limit with in game gold, which then matches your progression both in loot and in gold. So
    progression>limited>unlimited
    This is pretty standard and tried concept which seems to work in most MMOs that have implemented it.

Now where there will be disagreement and debate is exactly where that arbitrary line should be drawn. Also how much in game gold a slot upgrade costs and then if one should be able to buy for cash and if so for how much.

Right now you are seeing a first draconian implementation where everything seems pretty harsh.

However we will see things that mitigate these limits.
    Housing - people with housing can hoard at home, which leads to
    Guilds/towns - where the leadership have housing and thus members can have a chest for storage
    Work Orders - where instead of hoarding you see who needs what and act accordingly. Loading up mostly on the resource requested and then loading that off. etc
    Public Vendors - which we already got in R16 but which will expand further, which leads to
    Player/Private Vendors - where again those organized can sell stuff instead of hoarding it.

What I see though are some room for improvement in the design which will make the system more consistent. These I've proposed before, but I don't think Port wants to go this way, but still for the sake of clarity;
    A)
    I don't think addon/pledge items should take up storage space. Instead I think that banks should store such "for free" and be a part of what makes such items desirable. It makes no sense to punish someone with a low pledge who spend cash in the addon store by restricting their banking.
    B)
    By implementing A it lets us flatten out the number of slots for high pledgers, making them join the same progression as everyone esle. I mean they/we already have storage opportunities in housing. I'm not saying removing this entirely just flatten it to make more sense based on the pledge/addon items not taking any bank space.
    C)
    Regional banking should be regional.
    Regions like Perennial Coast or Hidden Vale or Drachvald etc should mean something.
    C.1)
    My number of bank slots should be given in "Bank Cheques" which we can "cash" wherever we want. So if I got 20 slots I get two cheques for 10 slots each which I can activate wherever I want. (This means that we remove the strange thing of regional banking being limited by a global limit.
    C.2)
    One should be able to pay to "transport" stuff from one bank to another, as long as they are in the same region, and that region is at peace for the moment.
    So transport between Kingsport and Owl's Head is OK, but sometimes one needs to clean out the bad guys in the road scenes.
    C.3)
    This is also how I wish that large objects should be transfered to your house.
    Buying a fountain? That's ok, but you also need that transported for a cost and only within the region.
    (Basically getting people excited about the Boats and Pack Animals stretch goals).
    Next time you get home there is this transport NPC/wagon waiting at your home. Much more immersive.
    C.4)
    This then makes for a real "want" for the high roller crafters to buy whole mercenary companies to clear out those pesky roads so that businesses can deliver their goods again etc. Making everyone care if there is an undead invasion going on with sieges and control points etc.

I could go on but I think it's long enough a rant as it is.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I can see you have this well thought out. You make some good points in support of your vision. However, we are so far apart on the basic premise that it is not good to argue the points here, at least as far as I am concerned. I can live with whatever structure is finally set up. I hope that early in episode 1 these manipulations are finalized or the game we finish will be unrecognizable as the same game we started.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And people will use other methods of storage besides the bank and that will make it less of a concern for them. We still have much more bag storage than other games and plus I'm not excactly sure what is happening with bag storage since we can't really use the bags and bags like UO at the moment, but who knows what the plan is there. There is the ability to craft more bags and such and hopefully we will be able to work that system out. If someone depends entirely on the bank I would be surprised, but probably not unheard of to do that.;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. G Din

G Din Avatar

ADVANTAGE ADVANTAGE ADVANTAGE

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

*Scratches Head*

Still don't really get this thread.

13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Did someone say trust?

Spoon likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I purchased skins in LOL for alot more. If i like a game i do not mind spending to keep it going.

So simple rule:
    If SotA fails every penny will feel waisted.

If it is awesome i do not care throwing money towards my benefit of getting fun.

That simple

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Spoon, Themo Lock and E n v y like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.