How can we all be "the" avatar?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by ThePompousPeasant, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I just assumed the Gem of Immortality explained it with the addition that The Avatar has an ego-complex believing he is at the center of the universe. Thus we are all The Avatar, living out our lives in Novia desperately trying to hold on to this belief.

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Anyone who is an Earthling from Earth entering these Non-Earth planets, worlds, are "Avatars". Problem solved.

3. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

TLDR;
    Current story, there is not just 1 Avatar.

The very highly compressed and no-mess version. You should do some reading :)

4. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

Sounds like they are saying we are all Avatars, but in the end, one of us will rise to the top and be the Avatar among the Avatars, perhaps it is the one who most exhibits the virtues.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The meaning of the word in New Britannia has changed dramatically in SotA.. It no longer has any direct connection to the virtues but rather whether or not you're from another world. At least this is how it's being used in the story.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Net like this.
  6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Given that SotA isn't an official direct sequel to the Ultimas, this question doesn't officially apply to us as 'The Avatar' from the Ultimas in SotA.

In SotA, there may still be a prophecy stating that one will become a force for change in New Britannia, one who upholds old idealic virtues and succeeds to accomplish some great quest. It's quite possible this person is among the 'self-proclaimed avatar' outlanders who are currently invading the realm.

While maybe we can't all be 'The Avatar', I have a strong feeling that many of us will be questing to be. But you are probably right in that, there can be only one. I look forward to the challenge.

7. smack

smack Avatar

What if Novia is simply a "world" in the Oasis? I mean, it's not like RP1 and SotA have anything in common...oh wait.

Here's the transcript to that Story Hangout:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/some-video-transcriptions.3443/#post-65244

Definitely worth reading but I think you summed up the key points well.

I actually tried to get Starr to answer a question related to the story line and offline vs. online play and he was unwilling because spoilers. Which means there likely is some key or critical multiplayer component to the story and it's not purely single player driven.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That may be but the narrative they've put forth so far just doesn't jive at all with multiplayer. The intro movie, Arabella's writings.. seem only geared for single player. So I think people should try to keep those things in their proper context and take them for what they appear to be. Single player narrative. Much less confusing that way. :)

9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

My understanding is that SP will include some companions during the storyline (much like Ultima's), and while you will be the leader of a small NPC party in SP, the same would translate in all-players parties in MP.

This way, the game can be balanced for a group of characters (be it 1PC+xNPC or (1+x)PC), and actually be enjoyable in both modes equally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.