200 dead wolfes for just one leather chest armor, really?!

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Stinkefaul, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinkefaul

Stinkefaul Avatar

Tested some of the crafting recipes, didn't try blacksmithing, carpentry looks good, but tailoring?!

E.g. for a leather chest armor I need 10 yard of leather,
    for 1 yard of leather I need 5 leather,
    for 1 leather I need 4 animal hides...

So for just one leather chest armor i need 200 animal hides?! Isn't that a little bit too much?

Greetings
    Stinkefaul

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

R17 is a total revamp of the crafting trees and recipes.

Expect things to change.

KuBaTRiZeS, SmokerKGB and charock like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

one recipe takes four hides and makes two leather, but yeah, it's still a lot.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It will be some time before the recipes are balanced I think. Numbers for a lot of recipes are ridiculously high right now and it all needs to be balanced against harvesting, refining and production crafting skills. Most of which aren't in yet. I don't expect any serious balancing for most things to occur until beta.

5. Stinkefaul

Stinkefaul Avatar

ah, you're right... ;)
    but still 100 hides, that is still to much... it's the same with most other tailoring recipes...

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Geez, and I thought the 80 raw cotton to make a bed was bad. 100 wolves to make one chest armor... don't tell the New Britannia Chapter of PETA.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just in case the devs might find this useful, two price lists referencing real history and real prices during the Middle Ages -- though obviously they have to balance with in game supply & demand and other concerns like playability this might help them --

http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/120D/Money.html
    http://www.regia.org/research/misc/costs.htm

The two have different sources with different dates, and as one of them notes, conversions fluctuated, so its hard to match them up. However one source appears to show a mailshirt as 529d while a wolf skin as 8d (529/8 =66). The other source lists "mail" at 1200d and doesn't show a price for skins (1200/8 = 150). That source appears to show a cuirass without pauldrons = 240d and doesn't show a price for skins (240/8 = 30). I saw another reference that said a suit of armor was often rented if you were in service. Prices for horses somewhat line up, if both refer to draught horses.

Again, I'm not saying these are what the in-game conversions should be, just that its interesting as a reference. The second source is good because it lists weights too! Although they don't all seem correct; a wolf skin is shown at the same weight as a fox skin... :/ The wolf skin weight must be wrong?

8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Yes, as others have eloquently said, things will change radically in the future. In the whole system of gathering/refining/crafting the devs' initial objective has been met - the system basically works. You can gather and make stuff. The next step (which also takes lots of time) is refining the process so that the numbers and quantities make sense, also the values of crafted goods. Not a lot makes sense right now, or is consistent, but it will all be straightened out.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  9. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I'm pretty sure 20 inch thick leather chest armor is a thing somewhere.

Rezyn, 4EverLost and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

[​IMG]

11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

A little bit of crafting system history.

First we had nothing. At the very beginning all we could do wa go to a crafting table, place things on it, and see if the crafting button lit up. This was the start of the discovery system for crafting. It's still there and will likely be ther at final release.

Those recipes that were learnt provided a way for people to craft stuff.

Then crafters waited ... and waited.

One day all the recipes appeared on a vendor. Cool now we had tow ways to get crafting recipes; they could be discovered or bought. And the crafting system eveolved further.

Then the crafting system changed. Instead of having one crafting recipe for each kind of weapon, ie. one for iorn ore, one for copperm one for nickel, etc., the crafting recipe system changed. Now you can make a blade and hilt out of any kind of resource and combine them together. So one recipe builds a sword instead of many recipes needed to build many swords. Unfortunately they never took out old recipes and so there any both old and new styles of crafting recipes in game.

At the same time it was decided that the reousrces needed to craft the intermediate pieces should be added and that the reousrces for those intermediate pieces needed to be different. And other things changed.

As a result the crafting system is a mess right now. There is promise, based on dev comments, that in R17 the crafting system will be cleaned up and the added attention will result in a crafting system more in tune with the new directions. At least I hope that is the case. We'll see in a couple of weeks what state the crafting system is in.

It is also important to note that the crafting system, even after the clean up that is supposedly being done, still doesn't complete the system. There are still pieces to add.

Regarding resources, it was only recently that gathering skills came into effect. I'm not sure if even that system is complete yet. The true effect on the interrelationship between gathering, refinging, and crafting won't be known for a bit yet. But hopefully soon we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

According to calculations in the crafting spreadsheet 104 hides, so you only need to work half as hard.
    But seriously i agree, it needs some love. Don't hate on Sota animals.
    Love, Courage, Truth... Save the wolf & the bear

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon and Stinkefaul like this.
  13. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

And as if that wasn't bad enough, killing x00 wolves does not guarantee you will get x00 hides. Looking forward to R17.

14. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

Decisions Decisions, do you pledge now ang play R16 for 10 days or wait for R17 and have less crafting pain....

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You can pledge now and still wait for R17 :)

Atogrim and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would pledge now, it may take that long to get your account info put in, so why wait...

17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Wolves always give 1 hide and possibly a scrap, it's rabbits that don't give hides, but possibly scrap, carcass always...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  18. Stinkefaul

Stinkefaul Avatar

So in theory the skill "Meticulous Collection - Field Dressing" is completely useless?!

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, not at all... As was said in a Dev hangout, when Field dressing was introduced, we had a 100% chance of success, and there was always a random element of getting 1 or 2 hides, plus a scrap and any combo of those items... Plus all wolves were the same (giving the same reward)... Then they added level based scenes, where the scene itself was either easy, less easy, hard, or more hard, and now they are doing the same with resource nodes...

When you have max skill points in each field dressing tier, you are back to the original 100% level that was given us in the beginning (balancing and greater rewards has not come yet)... Try taking all your points away from Meticulous Collection and see how it affects your success rate...

At one stage I was able to harvest the same wolf several times, to get several rewards, either it's broken or turned off because I can only harvest other type nodes multiple times (and only certain ones)...

I hunt bears for hides, as they give anything from 2 to 5 hides, and no scraps...

20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Well getting all the hide from a small Wolf is one thing, getting all the possible hide from a dragon quite another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.