JJ Abrams and his Apple Watch at Star Wars Celebration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Gréagóir, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

COOL!! I cannot wait for mine!

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

What's the "magic" of smart watches? Genuine question. I don't get it. :)

I don't wear jewellery and I use my phone as a time piece. I do like watches but rarely feel a need to wear one, so even more perplexed by smart watches.

3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

But.. without a smart watch, how would Penny contact Brain to save her uncle from Dr. Claw and the evil M.A.D. forces over and over again?

Noctua and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. selbie

selbie Avatar

They're obviously not paying him enough to get the gold version :p

5. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Just the latest goo-gah from Apple that the tech-fashionistas are drooling over. This too will pass.

6. Ciciro

Ciciro Avatar

I thought we got smart phones so we wouldn't need watches anymore.

7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I thought cameras on phones would pass too, but I was absolutely wrong on that one.

8. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Me too. I used to be one of the Mac "faithful" and one of their mindless cheering squad. Up to the PowerMac era or a little past. Then I discovered just how wrong I was about Windows and switched and never looked back (that's what happens when I just listen to others and join their bandwagon without informing myself firsthand). Then Steve Jobs 2.0 happened and I was doubly glad of my decision.

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I wear an analog watch, which serves two purposes for me : 1. I can wear it where I can't have a phone on my person, like doing some athletic activity or on the beach, 2. I can still tell the time if I forgot to charge my phone's battery.

But yea, I'm not that interested in a smart watch.

11. Espada

Espada Avatar

It's Pebble Time!

For me at least... :)

smack likes this.
  12. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

I will remind everyone that the same was said about the iPad when it was announced. "Who needs this device? Bigger than my phone, smaller than my laptop. Why would I buy this?"

800 gazillion tablets later, the watch comes out ...

And then there was Seymour Rubenstein, CEO of WordStar when the Mac was announced. "The mouse is the perfect device for anyone with three hands".

800 tetrazillion mice later ...

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Survivorship bias there....

Google glass looked awesome. 8000 gajillion Google glasses later... oh wait!

Heh. Just giving you a hard time but obviously hubris gets the best of all of us. ;)

Wanderlust likes this.
  14. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

@Jatvardur: Honestly, do you know *anyone* who thinks Google Glass looks awesome? They make you look worse than the guys who walk around talking to themselves with Bluetooth phones in their ears. :cool:

But seriously, I think Apple has a pretty good track record for inventing things that people didn't know they wanted, but actually did. The iPod, iPhone, iPad and, I think, now the watch. The jury's still out on it of course, but if I were a betting man ...

Duke Gréagóir, Budner and Jatvardur like this.
  15. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I liked the idea of Google glass. The design was so-so. However, I still think that such a product is desireable by many but the price as out of reach for most people (~$1500?)

Apple didn't "invent" any of those products really, at least not the category of them. They may have mixed the ingredients in a more desireable way but they didn't invent. I'm sure people will buy the Apple watch for reasons I would never want to post outside a safe-zone of MS or Google fanboys/girls. :p

I'm pedantic here because I'm an Apple hater. I will never buy one of their products again. A recent backdoor in their OS will not be patched for releases before 10.9 which reminded me of their appalling attitude (also given that MS supported XP for 13 years) to consumers, but I digress.... :)

Wanderlust likes this.
  16. selbie

selbie Avatar

The main appeal to these devices is how unobtrusive they are. The iPad combined with an easy UI made it appealing to everyone. If these smart watches can do the same then people will buy them. I could certainly see them replacing phones if there is a way to make calls without feeling clumsy. Then portable tablets would replace our "pocket phones".

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Except the unreasonable people who hate Apple products and break out in a rash whenever they touch them. :)

Wanderlust likes this.
  18. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

I'm not an Apple chauvinist, I don't use Macs, I use only Windows 7 PCs, but I do admire their record with iOS devices. And yes, Apple *did* "invent" the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad and now the iWatch. That doesn't mean they were the first to think of or even implement the concepts, it just means what it says, they invented those products. There is a reason that you can't copyright an idea, but only a particularlized, realized *expression* of an idea. Anyone can have an idea. Making it into a successful market product is the heavy lifting and Apple has done that where many, many others have failed. That meets every meaningful definition of "invent" that I know of. They also didn't "invent" the mouse, but look what they've done with it, we are all mouse users now. Apple is responsible for that, irrespective of how many haters they have. The guy at the top always has more haters than anyone else, that just comes with the territory and is expected by just about everyone, it doesn't change the facts or the reason that they're at the top. I won't use their Macs, but I will acknowledge that they are at the top because they earned it.

19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I clarified that in my post above, specifically with the word 'category'.

With regards to mice I'm not impressed nor fond of any Apple mouse, so that point is moot and lies in the eye of the beholder. Ditto for Google glass on that last point which is kinda where this whole argument stems from: many reasons I can't fathom think Apple products are great / beautiful. Clarification: obviously I understand their rationality, but it doesn't align with my own.

There has been a ton of ideas which didn't succeed first time, or even at all (so far), but that doesn't necessarily make them any less great: just unpopular at this current moment in time. Your first post pointed to products that survived and are in current use, for me that is not necessarily indicative of a great product or category.

If a category is unpopular now, and if we stick with popularity = greatness, then the proof of non-greatness requires that an item will provably never be popular (ever)... which is obviously impossible to prove since it requires all instances to be unpopular for all time. A single counter-example is obviously all it takes for contradiction.

20. selbie

selbie Avatar

I'm afraid I'm one of those who suffer from Malus Intolerance :p

neveser and Jatvardur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.