Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

Bring out your coins! Bring out your coins!

Miracle Dragon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i'm not dead weight!

3. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Yes! Coins are heavy! Also, they should have more than just GOLD, for realism's sake (WTF what kind of world has enough gold for this many coins, and if there is so much, why is it even VALUABLE).

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Interesting
    [​IMG]

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

yeah I've been finding that interesting myself. I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not, one way or another.

6. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I voted no in its current state, they need different coins, copper/silver/gold, otherwise I have to constantly carry thousands of gold.

Lord Baldrith and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Why would you have to constantly carry money on you. I'm only going to carry money when I plan on spending it.

8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

wow its still almost tied

9. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Well, like in real life, I don't always know when I'm going to spend money, so I carry money with me. Unless Portalarium are going to introduce chip and pin?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I don't think coins should have weight, because the game simply doesn't include enough features to make dealing with treasure that is hard to carry interesting. Can you bury what you can't carry? Can you bring a cart? Can you bring a mule? Can you use magic to make it easier to carry? Can you put it on a ship? Can a treasure chest be so heavy and hard to open that it can only be moved by carriage?

I don't like realism that I can't confront in a realistic manner. A game shouldn't simulate the difficulty of moving treasure without also simulating every clever idea humanity ever had for dealing with that.

Like the whole argument of "If a guild wants to move a treasure they need to have protection for it!" is IMO just silly. You won't be able to see if someone has a treasure down his pants or absolutely nothing. You won't be able to put the treasure in a treasure chest that would take forever to smash open and move the key separately. For that matter if someone takes your treasure chest you won't be able to stop them from just logging out with it. The item simply is never going to be so persistent in the world that control of it becomes meaningful content. It will always be able to disappear into someones bank or be on their character while they are offline or any number of things that makes all the weight in the world not give it any more true substance.

If it can't be simulated to a satisfying degree then it's better to just spare people the hassle of it.

11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Well, part of this is dealt with.. the current plan for loot is, you have to change zones before any loot picked up becomes 'yours' until then it's freely lootable/lose-able. So if someone picks up your treasure and logs out, they won't have it when they come back.. It's not secured until they successfully carry it out of the zone where you stashed it. ;-)

Hraw likes this.
  12. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

So, what happens when I go to zone out and drop my connection? Has happened, will happen.

13. Cage Storm

Cage Storm Avatar

I just pushed the voting into a slight lead for the yes vote. Giving coins weight would keep prices lower unless we get cheques and credit cards as well as coins :)

14. Miracle Dragon

The only items at risk would be those new items that you acquired in that zone during that play session since you last zoned. But yes, those items would be dropped I imagine, if you lose connection.

15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

So, that thing I just busted my hump getting goes away and I have to do it again? Or the hours I just spent harvesting goes away?

That's PPD!

16. Miracle Dragon

That's the plan as I understand it. so don't spend too much time gathering/looting in one place. keep on the move, or make more frequent trips if you want to be safe with your stuff. ;-)

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well you never know when your connection will crash or theirs will

18. Miracle Dragon

First of all, crashes shouldn't be common in the final release. Second, crashes are more common with weaker connections, so perhaps the disputed loot should revert back to the zone rather than be dropped, in a crash situation.

I would rather lose what I just acquired in the last 10-30 minutes in the rare event of a crash, than allow exploits.

Example of exploit: player finds great loot in a scene, then to avoid getting killed by all the players or NPCs they fought to reach the loot, they log out, team speak their guildies to come to the zone at some arbitrary time in the future, then finally log in when told it is safe, and easily walk out of the zone, prize in hand.

To avoid these exploits, the idea is this: items picked up in a scene do not change 'ownership' to the player, until changing scenes. You have to successfully sneak/fight/run your way out of the scene before you can claim the prize as yours.

At least, that's how I understand it.

19. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

in Ultima Online i liked the weight of gold. It made you go back to the bank which was a social hub.

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think what Miracle Dragon is referring to was for PvP zones. Where even if you disconnect your avatar will remain for x time before logging out. So that you cannot disconnect to save your skin or to get the stuff.

In chat Chris clarified for PVE that if you were out of combat in a dungeon then one could disconnect, items would still be in your inventory next log on but still not 'safe' until you finally exit the scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.