1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I know what 'whale' means, I'm just stating that it is easy to see how being called a 'fat whale' can be considered offensive. Knowing the meaning, how would you like being called one? I know I wouldn't like it. Any term people consider offensive has a meaning, and feeling offended by it doesn't mean you don't understand the meaning.

Constantly assuming people must not understand what things mean just because they disagree with you is also offensive. 'you must not play sports', 'you must not understand how to play this game', 'you must not know what whale means' (i'm sure most would consider it a compliment. :p)

Lets stop assuming people are arguing against each other because they are ignorant. People have their opinions because everyone is different, not because they don't understand things.

Kara Brae and E n v y like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think the offence is more directed to the "fat whale" comment.

Edit:
    And if people think it's acceptable to call people at one end of the spectrum "Fat Whales", is it equally acceptable to call those at the other end of the spectrum"Scroats"..........both terms can be deemed equally offensive.

Themo Lock, mikeaw1101 and Kara Brae like this.
  3. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Christ, everyones so overtly sensitive all the time. If you seriously get offended by being called a $$ Whale or a Scoat or whatever, then I highly recommended unplugging your computer going outside, and experience life, people, encounters, poverty, violence, love, empathy, and so much more! Now take that life experience to wash away all those insecurity's you guys seem to have... and if what I just said offended you... Your in need of a major spiritual journey my friend.

Back to the point. @Chris please post the word doc so we can a vibe for what this PvP idea is. Waiting this long after it was promised can be slightly frustrating. I get that the devs are busty. But honestly you guys have time to spend on the ever so important feature called street signs. So giving us PvPers just a tiny bit of attention can go along way.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  4. argyle

argyle Avatar

Not my intention to assume ignorance here, but I am really curious what is offensive about this. There's no place for insulting people, but I didn't take this as an insult at all. 'Whales' is a term used in the industry as well as outside of it. Its used in business publications and businesses to refer to a certain type of customer. Publications like Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/magazine/zyngas-quest-for-bigspending-whales-07072011.html) and Market Watch (http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2012/07/26/zynga’s-‘whale’-of-a-problem) use the term neutrally. I'll give the original poster the benefit of the doubt and say that 'fat' was contextually referring not to the body type of the whale, but to the size of the whale in the scope of its relation to the game given the context.

Is this term used neutrally? Is a scroat a negative term? Whale, in this instance, is not. It is a high value customer. He may dislike whales, he may say they ruin the game. Those are his opinions. However, there are whales as the term is used and in publication to refer to a specific type of customer with no natural negative connotation. I'll admit, I donated at a high dollar amount. I was a whale. That's not negative, that's a term used to describe me. Can the same be said for the term 'scroat'?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

So anyways, I dont feel i'll be dissapointed from what i've heard about what PvP will entail so far.

Seems like there will be areas with different levels of "Risk/reward" for PvP and it sounds like there will actually be things that will encourage, but not force, me to go to these areas. A good reason to come back to a shop i may or may not own to buy more components or equipment after that last big loss ;)

Sounds like it will make the guild-war system more meaningful as well.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Poor people are jerks.

7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

lol random

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The peasants are revolting.

Katrina Bekers and Themo Lock like this.
  9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Revolting:
    adj.

1. Causing intense disgust. Disgusting.
    2. Rebelling.

hmm.. interesting double meaning. ;-)

FrostII likes this.
  10. potcorn

potcorn Avatar

That reminded me of "NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS" for some reason.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

leads me to speculate that the second definition is truer to the original meaning.

To revolt is to roll back. So thought is so revolting that your mind rejects it throws it out in disgust. or your stomach rolls it back, to be revolting gives the idea that it makes you want to vomit or roll back that disgusting thing.

12. TantX

TantX Avatar

Must be a helluva' weekend.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

WAT ? ¿

FrostII likes this.
  14. TantX

TantX Avatar

So it's almost been two months. Did I miss something?

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Nope.

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I looked back to see where chris said he was gonna post another PvP thread aside from this one.

Looks like he said he wanted to get a 6 page post approved but decided to INSTEAD create this summary that gets strait to the point. I couldn't find where he promised to post another thread in a particular time frame.

17. TantX

TantX Avatar

The OP looks a lot smaller than it used to... Let's take a gander, shall we?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EMPstrike likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Aight, i see where he said he would have more details now. still dont see a "when" specified. thanks

Looks like he did give a little more detail in a pretty lax way, looks like there's some wiggle room and things left to be decided.

At least at the time of this post

20. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Still malingering ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.