Problem with trolls ingame and in the forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward Newgate, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TantX

TantX Avatar

Being able to lock out people you don't like or annoy you is going to lead to a series of very small, very fractured communities. Luckily, the game will be playable FPO and SPO.

Sir_Hemlock and Gix like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

You also can't buy actual cities for yourselves and your clique.

Talk of "interference from unwanted avatars" is exactly the kind of "us vs them" attitude that's poisoning communities and why I'm against the OP's message. It's very hypocritical.

If I see a town on my map, I expect to be able to enter it and interact with the people inside.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  3. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Great ...

So let's have this big awesome community with everyone ...

Good people, virtuous people, kind people, respectful people, old people, role-players, little children, spoiled brats, ill-mannered, scoundrels, pickpockets, hardcore PVPers, PKer's, PKKer's, griefers, trolls ...

They can all go wherever they want, whenever they want, and do whatever they want and say anything they want, as long as it's on the map and the game allows it; we'll all be one big happy family, no poison ... yeah that should be doable ... sounds very sustainable ... let's go for it! [/sarcasm]

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Gix, where did I state you couldnt enter and interact with said town? I am very certain you enter a PvP POT uninvited you will get interaction.

Houses are planned to be lockable if the owner decides to keep unwanted out.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It's almost like you're describing my own family. :eek:

The more personalities and playstyles, the merrier. I don't want a watered-down Trammel/Candyland environment, especially when others are making subjective rules about how to "behave" and making sure everybody's "nice" to each other. I'd much prefer to encounter griefers/trolls/etc. and either engage with them or ignore them, whether in-game or in the forums.

Hraw, 4EverLost, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  6. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Why does this not surprise me?

Funny story: I saw a trailer in the theater the other day and Bill Murray (looking pretty old) popped up and I instantly thought "Hey, that's what Budner will look like some day" :)

7. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

And for the most part I agree with you - but it just seems that if I paid real money for my player-owned town, I should be able to have some controls (if I'm eventually left alone in my PoT due to my controls, then well that's what I got for my money). For the rest of the game, ignoring should work fine, but even then I don't think anyone who wants to should be able to "friend" me and see when I log in/out, etc.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Chatele like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm curious to know how your citizens will handle living in a town with limited trade traffic. But you're right, though, if the ability lock POTs end up being a feature in the game, that'll be your problem... just like handling the so called "trolls" and "griefers" will continue to be your problem (as well as whoever shares your sentiments). If it's a feature that you can turn on and off willy-nilly, you can bet that your town will be unreliable and, thus, undesirable.

There's no point arguing over something that may or may not exist.

I've stated my objections to the OP's motivational message to convert-or-ostracize the player-base in the name of "community". I shared my suggestion to change one's own approach instead; to actually share the playground and improve the overall quality experience for everyone.

I have nothing more to say.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  9. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Oh I don't have a player owned town and I'm pretty sure I never will - I was playing "devil's advocate" in that regard. I have no problem with someone who pays real money for their PoT to do what they want (I doubt there will be much trade in a PVP PoT anyway). Each PoT owner should be able to set the parameters, although I doubt willy-nilly is the best approach.

But it almost sounds like you don't believe there are "trolls" and "griefers" ... maybe I'm reading too much into your post. There are definitely people who only derive pleasure from the pain and consternation they can cause others ... to believe otherwise is to be naive. I don't know how many people would shun a game where they are being constantly trolled and/or grief'ed with no remedy, but I'm fairly certain it is a larger group than those who would leave a game because a choice exists between random/locked combat hotbars, for example. Dealing with these people in most games is as simple as ignoring them, hopefully it will be that simple in SotA, and then there is no problem.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

POT owners should be able to ban anyone, and require permission to even enter the POT, IMO. Their town, their rules.

I doubt many POT owners WOULD exclude all outsiders from the game, but for the few that would, so what? Let 'em.

11. TantX

TantX Avatar

They don't need to exclude all, just a few. Then when some people can't go without leaving that friend behind, they don't go to that POT and go to another. When that group doesn't go, maybe their guild doesn't go. When that guild's allies decide to boycott the POT because of community drama, then more guilds don't go there, or at least members of it. When a lot of people don't go there and reputation sinks because of mud-slinging, then more and more people choose not to go to get involved.

Not saying that that sort of drama will happen, just that it has happened in every MMO since the history of ever. Ever.

Chatele and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Funny thing is, though I find it very hard to read your post cause of the misspelling due to the language diff , BUT, I fully understand what you are trying to say.... I have played MANY MANY games, and in ALMOST ALL of them, ALMOST, unfortunately there were players like you have described.... and there will always be some peeps like that, ALWAYS.... that's why most games have a IGNORE feature built into their chat.... There will NEVER be a perfect community NEVER IMHO, how can there be when the Real World is no way near perfect? But this community is by far the best I have ever seen in any Mmorpg .... ever!!! but there will always be what you call griefers, killjoys, etc. What I would do if there is someone who goes out of their way to ruin your game play is report them, or ignore them if it is at all possible .... someone who is that bored does not have the right to ruin any ones fun because of it, if they are that bored, get a life , no really, get a life. I don't think there will be though that much going on here, so far the people I have met in this game truly are awesome., remember you will always find at least one bad apple in a barrel, same goes for people. Don't let it ruin your game play. Have fun ;)

13. Net

Net Avatar

I think both options are valid. Some POT owners wil lwant to keep their POT private (A members only sort of thing). Others will want to keep only the worst troublemakers away. Some might want to enforce specific rules (e.g. strictly roleplaying city). And perhaps few towns will be open to everyone and everything.

Still, I think it should be the POT owner who decides how open or closed their town will be.

14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Personally hope they give POT owners a more creative way to deal with disruptions.

Like a version of the Scarlet A - a cage where upon the disruption can be contained and displayed for public viewing purposes and entertainment of all fair goers. Said cage will hold disruptions for specific amounts of time in their POTs, not to extend so and so time, as prolonged punishment may be seen as inhumane treatment of disruptions. Children can then be shown the cage as an example of what might happen to them if they chose to act inappropriately in public.

Thus the persons of disruptions can now be counted upon as being part of the entertainment, for what could be merrier than a monkey, with appropriate shackles and ragged clothing, held captive for your viewing pleasure, to point and whisper about, as the festivals carry on.

15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

awesome idea lol

*starts chanting* "GIBBETS GIBBETS GIBBETS GIBBETS GIBBETS!"

Thadeus Crook [MGT] and Hraw like this.
  16. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

And if they log out, an NPC that looks just like them and who happens to have the exact same name and guild designation will take their spot in the cage and eat bananas.

17. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

lol

Tahru likes this.
  18. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I disagree. This will allow us to keep the people that Edward is talking about away from events and activities where they are unwanted. I've witnessed the behavior that I suspect initiated this post and I can tell you that the sentiment from people in the vicinity was overwhelming. We need to be able to monitor and exercise control over our environment, especially in regard to privately owned property. If one feels that they have the right to run around and commit mayhem, disruption, and <insert hyperbole here> fine, but one isn't privileged to do it in my back yard. Do it somewhere else. Is it a significant part of the community? Absolutely not. I would say 1 out of 100 people; and that is a liberal figure. However, griefing has happened and I don't think that it is unreasonable for someone to post their opinion and suggestions on the matter.

Peace,

Thadeus

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Just want to acknowledge the OP, Lord Thomas, for posting a pretty complex statement in a language that's not his native tongue, and saying it well even if every word wasn't spelled correctly, etc., whether you agree with his thoughts or not. It takes real intelligence and courage to do so, and he did a much better job than I could ever do in my next-best language (French). Salut!

20. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I like rollercosters.. the merry-go-round just goes round and round. Not saying I like or dislike trolls, but what some find as trolling others don't. However, diversity is welcome. Gets the blood flowing. :p

Gix, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Tahru and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.