Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Ok, so the first MMO I played was Asheron's Call, which started with weighted currency and switched to non-weighted because it caused too many problems.

And, this isn't an MMO. It has one MMO-like mode, and three others.

Dame Lori and Budner like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

That's pretty dismissive, especially coming from someone who completely misunderstood my post.

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Wrong. Learn to read before you type.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Listen, I know I dont have all the answers, but what I do know I really do know. What you want is convenience and have no effort involved in the game. You want instant fast travel, you want no weight, you want you want you want. You want the game basically to be dumbed down till the drool that runs off my chin can hit a key and I can play the game. I however want to have effort be put into the game. I want there to be practical and rational methods to challenge deviate behavior.

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Mine to. Please tell what problems it caused vs the gold farming problem it enabled literaly the week after...

I remeber people ebay C notes like crazy and they had to move to MMDs 250x the vslue due to inflation in one friggin patch!

If that hapened in the US IRL peop, would be rioting in the streets.

Its bad monetary policy irl and bad monetary policy ig to make currenc worthless which being weightless and infinitely stackable does. Hll even the letter" you pick up in the starter area has weight and takes a slot. Hich ade me ditch itafter reading. I wouldrather have the slot for loot.

Now if it was gold coin or a bank note or something that had value...

6. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Ad homienm.

I can read.

Try again boy.

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yep nothing makes a game more exciting than having to trudge back and forth to the bank because you're encumbered. Yay effort! ;)

Since you're into cannibalism, this may be a good time to eat yourself. :D

8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Wow… reminds me of an old cartoon I saw years ago of Sherlock and Watson… went something like this… “He’s six foot two, has brown hair, wears a black coat, lives in London, and has lint in his right pocket”… “my god Holmes, how did you deduce all that?”…. “because he wears a size ten shoe” :)

Just because someone does not like one tiny little thing... you cannot jump to such a wild conclusion about everything else.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

And it must absolutely come in the form of weighted currency. Got it.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Its how you look at the game that matters, you see trudging and the pessimistic side, where as I see it as actually doing something in game. There are people meet and see along the way, there are spontaneous events that happen. But hey, what do you care when you can just pop back and forth to the bank and the field. And I would eat myself if I could!! :D

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am in the camp of everything being related. If one thing has weight another must also. Why would gold be excluded from every other item in the game? Its lootable right? Its a commodity right? It is only natural to think that it everything should be affected by gravity. Or nothing should be affected by gravity.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK let me understand. I want to play, and don't want the drudgery, so I'm pessimistic.

But you, you think the economy will crash and bot farmers will rule the earth (nothing pessimistic there!), so you have the CORRECT viewpoint.

That about right?

Gix likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Right. So things should have weight. But what weight? Should a bag of gold weigh as much as a set of armor? How much should a BED weigh?

And what about proportions? Should we really be able to carry 17 tables? Let's restrict that too. One table at a time. Unless you're wearing armor, in which case you can only carry half a table at a time. Pillows are light, but can we really carry 25 of them? Is there enough space?

This, is the road to madness.

Dame Lori likes this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

What I am saying is you are just wanting for wanting sake. Can you offer suggestions on how to counter the gold selling aspect of this scenario? I understand your point of view, I do. You want to not be bored. Now how do you offer a counter to the botting aspect using the no gold weight scenario? If there is a practical solution to counter the problems suggested then lets hear it.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am all for more realism. I say you might have to disassemble furniture to carry it. There should be a way to dissemble the throne of bones too. Maybe that could be a feature for looting dungeons. You have to have the carpentry skill of dismantling to loot large objects!

16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Ummm we all want for wanting sake. I want freedom of play. You want to weigh down gold to address your economic fears. We all want for wanting sake.

Early in this thread I suggested that we have a certain amount of weightless gold (2000 pieces) and relatively light gold over that threshold. That's my suggestion, and it's specific. More specific, in fact, than any suggestion that I recall you making?

17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

How about instead we could just have an item in the add-on store that could suck every last bit of fun out of the game for realism's sake? I bet you'd buy it.:p

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

So, relatively light is how much? Reletive to the actual weight of gold? I can think of weights and measure specifically but I did not think that was the argument for this thread. So far in this thread what I have seen for the reasoning for no weight is:

Convenience
    Freedom
    Would be hard to carry Large sums of gold at one time

The reasons for having weight
    Hinders gold farmers
    Sticks with the fomat of the game in which everything else has a weight
    Physical gold is immursive and appealing, and can be placed as deco in some cases
    Physical gold earned from looting in pvp is more appealing than an auto deposit bank feature.

Moonshadow and Hraw like this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

How about people that want broken games go and play them, there are thousands of them.

20. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

This is why some of us think the ones against this idea just don't get it ... we're not calling you stupid, but you haven't thought it through if this is what you are thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.