Problem with trolls ingame and in the forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward Newgate, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This could perhaps be solved in part, with an in-game justice system. The watchers are there, the oracle knows all, guards can attack on sight, or catch and arrest as necessary. If the game can recognize harassing behavior / unwanted gameplay, and largely prevent it with proper mechanics and guards, then everyone can play the game how they want and enjoy the consequences of their actions.

Or, if harassment is truly a gameplay aspect to be embraced, then NPCs can be redesigned to harass and disrupt players, ensuring this wanted gameplay aspect is not missed out in single player/offline mode.

Net, Gaelis, Moonshadow and 1 other person like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Unfortunately in any online community the mighty /ignore command is sometimes easier than correcting a problem otherwise.

Chatele likes this.
  3. TantX

TantX Avatar

I thought that's what the random encounters of spiders and wolves were for?

Gix and Miracle Dragon like this.
  4. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

lol Miracle :D

Chatele, Arianna, Net and 2 others like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You laugh but ; you guys are just begining to see the light :)

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

so this thread is to give us something to do right? surely nothing said here will leave this thread or anything... I mean we aren't talking about anything that means anything to anybody so that it can neither be constructive or destructive.

I have actually been hoping for a thread that talks about nothing. The Seinfeld of threads. So happening! Can you feel it? :D

Tahru and Moonshadow like this.
  7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm all for fracturing communities, if it means unpleasant players are there, and players with which I have affinity are here.

Let the intentional griefers be ostracized and put in a trash filled ghetto, I don't care. They didn't care about griefing in first place, after all - why should I care about their fun, if they didn't about mine?

The more you annoy me, the more determined I'll be in making your gaming life miserable. Of course, mainly with metagaming, while keeping a candid facade of good-doer.

Only conflict drives progress. [/sarcasm]

Kara Brae, Net and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Like guards instant killing and ressurecting repeatedly while someone tries to get out of a scene? Or have invisible NPCs that are impossible to outrun and attack as soon as the person enters a scene?

Disrespectful algorithms that detect disrespectful people. hmm.

9. Net

Net Avatar

Now that would be awesome to have guards like that with sort of wicked sense of humour and justice:) And of course, actually working as guards.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Hraw and Budner like this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I completely disagree with everything said here, you've allowed them to turn you into the very thing you've labeled them.

Gix and Dewderonomy like this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think this illustrates the beauty of SMP.. It has such potential to sort people, I really hope there is ample time to beta test this feature so that the game mechanics solve these problems before they even start. ;-) Thank you Portalarium for being so innovative with a fresh new take on MMO's.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, 4EverLost, Hraw and 3 others like this.
  12. Katrina Bekers

So what?

If I must allow them in my game, they must allow the "new me" in theirs. It's reciprocity, baby, dwi.

There's no reason under the sun for which I should be kind with unsufferable people in the name of an unified community catering even to the lowest rank of scum, and then not have the right to become one, and pretend the same politically correct treatment. Why they can and I cannot, pray you?

___ ^^^ sarcastic answer --- real answer vvv ___

Thank you for feeding my inside troll. :p

The only serious thing I wanted to add is to be careful with letting everyone the heavens-given right to play any way they want with the argument of fracturing the playerbase if you don't. There is people simply unable to play along with others, I hope this is a fact that isn't up for debate. Forcing their integration at all costs is a slippery slope.

A line must be drawn somewhere (I'm glad I'm not the one tasked with finding where), with the added warning that bad apples not only plant the seed of toxicity (and they will), but will also become negative examples of what can be done with total impunity because the "good guys" (up to your sensitivity to define this vague term) will ultimately allow anything and bear with anyone as long as no penal law is involved.

13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

trolls gotta eat just the same as the worms ... thanks for the giggle by the way lol. For me this isn't about letting who ever do what ever, its about realizing that one mans troll is another mans hero and vise versa, and yes it is a slippery slope which is why I play antithesis to the troll bashing, they may not be trolls, they may just be your ingame enemy ..... a couple of pertinent quotes i felt like sharing .....

"an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind" -unknown

"what do you mean I'm not kind? Just not 'your' kind" - Dave Mustaine

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Sharing the playground doesn't mean you get to do exactly what you want. That's the message that the OP should've been promoting instead of "Yeah! They're intrusive in our activities! Let's embellish the community by ignoring them!"

That's the distinction I've been trying to point out.

4EverLost and Moonshadow like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Voila, light :)

it hurts my eyes... lets go back to staring at the shadows on the wall of the cave :p

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very much up for debate in 2015, in an age where everything is shared and AI is truly born... :) but yes, avatar, you can be hard on them too just don't expect the game to be unresponsive to you as well as them, karma is karma :)

17. Katrina Bekers

Totally agree.

What I would warn is that with the sandbox comparison, one should always be careful with escalation. I build my sand castle, you come kick it, I bury your toys under a concrete pouring, you set my clothes on fire, I stab you in the face, and you beat my younger sister, and so on and so on.

Never underestimate the power of negative example. In an heartbeat the underdog may become nastier than the griefer, and then good luck yelling that the community is fractured... I know that if I keep ruining others' events "just because", then probably the next russian botnet DDOS I'll receive on my ISP during my final encounter for the title at that PVP tournament *MAYBE* has something to do with that...

Moonshadow likes this.
  18. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

And the age we really live in is one where players often find real identities via facebook or similar and "swat" people just for fun. Katrin is right, this has more than just in-game implications. We can't "all just get along"; preaching that the masses need to compromise so everyone can be included is just naive. It's not the masses that need to compromise and change, it's the destructive brats (but we know they usually don't, some grow up eventually). So the OP was right, ignore is the solution in those relatively rare cases, and he said it in an encouraging way as best he could with the language barrier, the meaning was clear.

We get the "chaos infiltrating order" thing and some are clearly amused by the meta-gaming in this thread, but order has to prevail when it comes to the game's rules. Adults are not going to come home from a hard day's work to get griefed during their entertainment time by brats with no in-game controls to ignore them (and by that I mean more than just not seeing what they type).

19. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Some of this recent discussion seems to be affected by new changes in R17 ... from the highlights in instructions below:

20. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

Someone posts a thread with troll in teh title, trolly sense tingled.

First day on the interwebz?

Welcome

Moonshadow and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.