Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Feedback [Merged Thread]

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I am not sure I like this. It is as I have feared. I am a giant and the houses and trees are tiny.
    This works from an isometric perspective, but not from a third person view.

How will this be adjusted? Will we get houses that match the size of the Avatar? Then the trees would have to be adjusted as well. This would mean that every object on the overland map would have to be bigger and take up more size which in turn would then result in the world feeling smaller and smaller. The whole overland map would have to be adjusted...
    I can't see how this can work?

I mean, really, does this look good? This does look really, REALLY strange and I cannot see how this can help to navigate easier around the world?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redfish, Drystone, smack and 3 others like this.
  2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

You Are a giant, that's why novians dislike you.
    I love the camera view, finally I can see where that road leads.

It does feel a bit strange being giant but there are far stronger pro's then con's for me. Just look where you want to look then rotate camera back up & go, enjoy life with less swearing

Vermine, Siriustar, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I am enjoying the new view as well.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Imho the new camera is very annoying. Sometimes it suddenly zooms down, then suddenly a tree is blocking the view...
    At least the old camera view with a fixed isometric view should be included as an option, so that those who prefer the old camera can use it if they wish.

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It looks good as a first pass. Love being able to see a ways down the map, spin and see the sky, and zoom out more.

Next release, a few changes can help perfect this. Decrease the size of the avatar to about 1/3 of current, and change the clipping of the camera (basically so it only zooms if it would be inside of terrain, ignoring all other objects).

Espada and Koldar like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I haven't experienced Giant View yet. But last night I was amazed at how great the new camera freedom is.

I could see for miles, I didn't get lost, it just felt so much better. Definitely a huge improvement (no pun intended).

7. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

With this new camera view I feel more like I'm in a world rather than on a map.

Vermine, FrostII and Dorham Isycle like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Like Gulliver in Lilliput?
    It looks strange and the camera is behaving very strange. I wonder how it looks when roving encounters are introduced and giant-sized wolves and gypsy wagons roam around between tiny houses and trees.

All this automatic and sudden zooming is annoying. I can't even stay in a zoomed out view even if I wanted to as the camera seems to do what it wants. And it seems to always want to zoom down when there is a tree to block my view...

9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

We were giants already so I don't really see a difference. I'm not getting the random camera zooming issues you are having yet but I can see how that could be annoying.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But with a zoomed out isometric view it wasn't as "in your face" as it is now.

I'm not saying that this view should be removed but having the old view as an option would be perfect.

Sir Cabirus and Jordizzle like this.
  11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Yes I think it should be an option as well.

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  12. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

I haven't seen the giant bug yet, but I also like that I can pan upwards and see further. Good job on that part!

FrostII likes this.
  13. Siren

Siren Avatar

LOVE the new camera functionality for the overland map you guys, it's made a world of difference :) Didn't have time to play much today, but that is by far my favorite improvement at the moment :D Thank you!

Siriustar, FrostII, Superbia and 4 others like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, big disappointment. Now we are Gulliver in Lilliput and the camera zooms around as it sees fit, which is very annoying. I hope for an optional fixed camera like in the last releases.

15. Drocis the Devious

I think you make a good point about having extra large characters on the overland map. But I don't see this as a failure of the change, just something that could still be improved upon.

If the choice I had to make was a difference between getting lost because I have no camera freedom and being a giant on the overland map....sign me up for being a giant. Fortunately I don't think it's going to be an either or choice that we have to make.

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I still don't get why people get lost in isometric view. We didn't get lost in Ultima VI or VII or Diablo or Baldur's Gate...

17. Drocis the Devious

I've never played an Ultima so I have no idea about that. I have played Diablo and Baldur's Gate and you're right I can't remember getting lost there. But I also remember those world's being much more linear. I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity and there's a very nice companion map that always shows me where I am - otherwise I would probably get lost from scene to scene.

Certainly we don't have that at the moment in SOTA so I can't zoom out and see where I am in relationship to the rest of the world. But now I can see the sky and get more perspective, especially from city to city. In R16 I couldn't do that, I would be lucky if I could see one or two town's at a time on my screen.

Ice Queen likes this.
  18. Siren

Siren Avatar

Well yea, the camera zoom needs some improvement, but a disappointment? Are you kidding me, no way! After having played the overland map with about 10 degrees of vertical freedom for the last few months, this feels so much more natural - it's a welcome step in the right direction :) Let's try and keep the cynicism where it's warranted and the praise where it's deserved...

Great job dev team ;)

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe it would be possible to shrink the avatar automatically when the camera zooms down and enlarge him when the camera zooms up. So when you zoom down to "ground level" the size of the avatar should match much better with the buildings, trees etc.

The same could be done for the upcoming roving encounters.

This way the hero would still be well visible while zoomed out but wouldn't look like Gulliver in Lilliput when zoomed down.

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.