Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Feedback [Merged Thread]

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think now that the scale is a bit different, we're going to need a paper/cloth map of Novia in the game that we can open up while walking around.

There are a couple of scale issues with the map since the style overhaul that have been bothering me that I think are more noticeable now. Trees and other plants were enlarged to make their scale feel big in comparison to the avatar, but the villages, towns, cities, bridges still feel tiny. So for me, there's a kind of dissonance in scale there. I don't know if that should mean the buildings should be larger, or the avatar should be smaller. I think the world would feel larger if the avatar was smaller, but it would also obviously mean more travel time, so its a decision for the devs.

But another thing is that both the buildings and the trees feel awfully spread apart for the map representation. It makes it feel that a town is just a couple of buildings. The forests are very sparse, and I wonder how roving encounters travelling through forests will feel. I think everything would feel better if both towns and forests were represented in a denser fashion. If towns were a more packed-in cluster of buildings, without clear space between them -- like they would be seen from a distance -- and if the forests were thicker and more opaque, I think it would be better.

One other thing, though -- I think the trees look a lot better in this iteration of the map.

smack likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Just because the representation is smaller, doesn't mean they should scale down movement. I wouldn't want it to be any slower, unless it is totally out of whack (moving while zoomed in, that is). But you are right, there is definitely some dissonance in scale.

I really want the Novia map to be available as a usable in-game map, just like a map of the towns. If you are in a town, the point wouldn't move (just rotate), but on the Overworld it would help with navigation.

Net likes this.
  3. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I agree it is an amazing change. Absolutely love it. If only we could zoom in a bit closer to our toons.... found we can push along the ground to get closer, but would like to be able to do so without looking up. Minor issue regarding a major improvement.

Many thanks for the added freedom in camera movement. The overland view I can now get in the camera is simply amazing.

Thanks!

4. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

5. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Pleasantly surprised with the direction the overland map was taken in. Can't wait to see what further tweaking does for it.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The most annoying part is this constant automatic zooming around. This makes me literally sick. I got headaches after a while because of the camera. I noticed this in scenes, too. This wasn't the case in older releases, was it? A fixed distance from the avatar with objects blocking the view becoming invisible would be much better than this constant zooming and changing of the distance...

I can't play for a longer time before feeling queasy.

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I have noticed that in previouse releases, I'm pretty sure That has been in every release

8. Espada

Espada Avatar

+1!

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm sorry you are getting headaches. I really love the camera improvements and am so far not seeing an issue with them, but I will test it out some more since I havent been in a lot yet. I do think I like being a giant tho, it is so cute, along with giant flowers that I also love. To me it is just a map and I'm glad they have gone with fun and striking verses realism, but that's just me. I don't want them to back track and undo it. I do want them to just go forward to adding other visuals to it, the roving carts, dragons etc.:)

Siriustar and FrostII like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This is my main issue with the new camera. It is constantly automatically zooming and changing the distance to the hero. This is very annoying and I'm literally getting headaches from it over time.
    Note: I am not zooming etc. manually in this video. All I do is walk and rotate the camera.

gtesser and smack like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmm well I haven't noticed mine doing that, but like I said I havent played much yet. I was away today and tomorrow also. So that would be a good video for a bug report I think. Sorry I wasn't much help.:)

12. Net

Net Avatar

The camera does the same thing in the game. The camera does not like obstacles between itself and the character so whenever there is obstacle, it zoomes in. It seems that some obstacles might be invisible walls. Anyway if you use top down view, you rarely run into this issue, if you zoom out and tilt the camera all the way down, it is easy to notice.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe here the problem is that you normally can't zoom way down on the overland map manually. So you regularly see your hero from farther away and then an obstacle is in the way and suddenly the camera zooms way down and up again.
    In the scenes - at least I - play from a rather near distance to my hero. So the automatical zooming in isn't as "intense" as on the overland map...

What I mean is this:

Max Manual zoom in:

[​IMG]
    Automatical zoom in:

[​IMG]

You manually cannot go further down than the first picture but the game zooms automatically down like in picture 2.

Jakdaw Foxlauden and smack like this.
  14. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah it would help if we could zoom closer to the hero - even to the sort of firstperson view.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I still think that it would be better if the avatar would automatically shrink if we zoom down to keep up with the scale - at least a bit.

Espada likes this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I thought that different terrain would alter the movement speed on the overland map. I don't notice any difference anymore. Has this been removed? If so, why?

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I enjoy the less abrasive travel speed on the overland map. I think it was a good move for this point in testing. The map felt so restrictive before, this is really a welcome change, however it's probably a good idea to find more ways to simulate OFF ROAD travel in the future.

Siriustar and Jakdaw Foxlauden like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

On the one hand I liked the idea of different speeds or at least a different behaviour on different terrain. Although it was a bit annoying in the last releases. But removing it completely fells somewhat... "casualized" now.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree. That's why I'd like to find a way to make different terrain have an impact without also making people feel like they're trying to walk through 20 feet of snow.

20. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I think overland travel speed should be double or triple what it is now, without ever slowing down :)

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.