Going insane with talking/typing in game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zylo, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

Here are a couple things driving me absolutely insane talking/typing in game....

1. Talking in game... Every time I hit a letter, all these windows open up... Why are plain letters on the keyboard mapped to open things? All I want to do is chat and all these windows keep popping up all over the screen.....

2. Anytime I am standing near an NPC and I simply want to speak to another player, the NPC zooms in and starts talking to me.. It is driving me INSANE.

Are there solutions to this? Other than remapping ALL the keys on my keyboard to "Shift+Z" or something?

smack, FrostII, Aldo and 4 others like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

The windows should only ever open up if you're not actively typing in chat. It's badly done but, if you make sure to select to text field before typing, you should be fine.

If you have an NPC selected while typing, you're talking to the NPC. Deselect the NPC to talk to other players.

Katrina Bekers, Logain and Freeman like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

1. Hit Enter first.

2. Select somebody other than the NPC.

4. Flip

Flip Avatar

Capitals always go to chat, so starting your sentences/grunts with a capital will help.
    If that doesn't work for you, press reset(alt) in the keyboard mapping screen. It sets most of the hotkeys to things like CRTL+I for inventory.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Press escape 9 times before typing in /local or some random NPC you spoke with will jump your conversation.

I do feel your pain.

6. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Thank you, I feel the same. It also makes me feel inadequate, unable to cope with the awkward actions. I resolved not to talk to NPCs anymore. Painful.

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Chat is painful. I'm still not used to it after playing since I think R8 or R9.

TBH not sure how to fix it though. The utilities of /guild, /whisper, /local, etc. are important.

But like the OP I am constantly forgetting to hit / and bringing up random windows. Just awkward.

8. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

There is a setting "continue chat after submit", that keeps your cursor in the text area, for continuous conversation.
    You can also pin the chat menu, or not, depending on your preference.
    There is also a setting "Auto-Hide Chat Window If Unpinned", which gives you more options.

This UI can still use a lot of work, but there are also a few options to help you out in these issues.

I figured I'd try to be constructive, rather then to just kvetch (no relation to kvow ;-) )

smack and Katrina Bekers like this.
  9. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

once again, something brought up a LONG time ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.