Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Innate Skills BLOCKER

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Isaiah, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

its active, fun, and insane ....... I jest because its a suicide button

4EverLost and Isaiah like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh I know you were joking. There was no way you couldn't be.

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

more direct, , no, it is not an innate

Isaiah likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

raising DEX, STR, INT are innates. So I'm assuming we will not be able to boost our character's INT way high because the higher it goes the more skill points a single point costs. Our innate skill pool will discipate faster.

Although I don't know what it is like at higher levels, maybe innate skill pools compensate for that. Either way it is unplayable for me because I play a pure mage and the spells just hang there doing nothing 3/4 of the time or more.

Lord Baldrith and Moonshadow like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think the overlying problem is a little more basic than all that. Some innates as is are just over powered and too easy to get. ie Earth innates.. total of 48 pt investment for an unrestricted +10 Str and +15 total damage reduction. Who wouldn't want that? Even a non-magic user would want to invest 48 pts into Earth magic for that kind of benefit without ever needing to cast a spell.

Katrina Bekers and Moonshadow like this.
  6. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

To me, the innate skills should reflect your proficiency at certain magic school.

One idea i get at the moment is that the innate skills should be separated from the main magic tree. Then, according to the % of magic tree completion, you gain a certain amount of points that you can spend only on the innate skills of that tree. To encourage diversity, if you complete 100% of the skill tree you should not be able to max all the innate skills for the given magic school.

[​IMG]

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm still a firm believer in a sandbox.... Let the player decide what they do and how they build. I don't like all this false encouragement to get player to do something a particular way.

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

what if the innate were the prerequisites for the glyphs which were restricted like the innates currently are.

Gatsu. likes this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

This is something I would really like to see.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's pretty similar to what I was thinking with effectiveness of magic innates being related to how developed your skill tree is. Similar result.

Akro, Net and majoria70 like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There really is an awful obsession in throwing points into skills that you are never going to use........ I mean it started with the whole skill trees to begin with instead of having separate skills that you level......it then got worse by increasing the number of points you waste to open up another skill........then the world collapsed because stupid ideas are implemented by restricting what people can put in innates (for what reason......who knows because im yet to see a valid one).

The really worrying thing is that the game is 2 years into development and the fundamentals of skill progression is clearly undecided........whats worse than that is the fact the the panic stricken, over the top and ill-thought-out adjustments are just going from bad to worse. Is it any wonder that players are selling their accounts, that the Steam reviews are going from bad to worse and that players like myself find it absolutely impossible to entice other like minded players to the game.

Sadly i'm starting to see what should be a great game slowly go off course and start to lose the plot when it come to certain aspects of game play.

Womby, Mordecai, Tarsin and 8 others like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Starbucks anyone?

Tarsin, majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  13. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah this change is really terrible. Heck I am impressed by those of you who have managed to level up as much as you have already. I guess I just don't have the patience for this stuff the combat system and skill trees were not good before but at least I could more or less make a workable character to efficiently kill stuff with. It really feels like they are just randomly trying things here without evening thinking of the consequences and hoping something will work. I too am worried about the future of this game and the direction it is going. I know some will say well its still prealpha! and I know that. But I think we are far enough into development and have seen enough to get a general direction of where things are going and right now it is not looking too good. I still have hope but to be honest it is starting to fade.

14. Bux

Bux Avatar

Like to spend my points how I want .. not a fan of this change.

15. Curt

Curt Avatar

For some trees could have so the effectiveness of the innate skills scaled with how many active points you placed.
    So if you has 10 active so would 1 passive give twice the benefit it would do if you had 5 active

Moonshadow and Akro like this.
  16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

The problem is that with unlocked innate skills, all the full developed players will have similar builds: Specialized on a combat/magic tree with the points spared along all the innate skills. There will (hopefully) be differences on half developed characters, but on full developed characters the differences will fade away.

Sorry if i am derailing the OT a bit:

What i would like to see is a system based on skill progression where you can earn points to spend on the tree you are exercising. Example: I level up 50% of the fire skill (like on UO) by using the cards in there, that unlock the half of the tree and give me, lets say, 40 points out of the 50 (needed to maximize the unlocked tree) to distribute them as i want.

Another change i would like to see is that if you "level up" a card/skill it increases in power but not affect your ability to put more or less of it on your deck.

Moonshadow likes this.
  17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

personally i think this limit is detrimental to my play style.

i dislike static decks. i REALLY dislike them. to the point where i've just quit gaming for months on end before - but limiting the innate skills makes me feel like i'm REQUIRED to use the random deck in a way i don't want to, because the limit is too harsh.. i HAVE to choose actual innate skills, or use those points to a toolbar.

i see the plus for having an innate skill limiter, for the most part, the toons were way too overpowered. then again, the limit breaks the spirit of the game, which is sandbox, sandbox, sandbox.

i think the deck-related skills should cost skill points, but should NOT be considered innate skills. - could be a good compromise, and in this situation as it so clearly ties into several systems in the game, there NEEDS to be a sort of compromise between them all.

Moonshadow likes this.
  18. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

Some innate skills wouldnt be necassary, if that what they do would be part of the active skills (more of the same skill = more effective instead of just a card more in a possible deck) or part of the level up. (More magic spells = more int, more melee skills = more str...)

btw as I did read that they were limiting passive skill distribution it was like "what the ...". With the reason that only those builds were competetive which had more passive than active skills in the last build. - It shouldnt be surprising that it was like that. Its part of this skill system. At full random draw the chances are just to high to draw too many useless cards in a row in a fight of life or death. And a limited random deck, has not enough room for more active skills than necassary. (So why should one take more active skills as are necessary to fill out the deck or to reach the higher tiers in the skill tree?) Also only the passive skills did really help in the character progression.

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Isn't this Hand-holding?

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Huh not one mention of the interior decorating of the locations? These guys need to rant a few more minutes because they left out some stuff.

majoria70 and E n v y like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.