Novia - R17

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Birko, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

If it were simply about graphical consistency, than I may agree with you. But it very quickly diverted into a comparison of the various towns and their merit. That is entirely subjective, and has nothing to do with this map, in and of itself.

That's why I felt is was a bit inappropriate to compel him to "explain a point of view" regarding that topic, when all he did was create a beautiful map.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Even Lord British likes it! :cool:

I haven't read the other pages of this thread, but has anyone asked yet if this is going to come up when I hit "M"?

Heradite, smack and Katrina Bekers like this.
  3. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

Ooh i wish so!

Heradite and smack like this.
  4. Birko

Birko Avatar

haha... I thought you were swearing with "#'ing" :)

The co-ordinates are not exact. Out by about 15 clicks in some places, but still usable for a lost traveller. I have a suspicion that the map is slightly off skew from North.
    Easy enough to refine once there are reference point co-ordinates of a couple of objects on the edges of the map.
    I actually made a version on Friday night (early days of R17) where the in game compass was out by 90°. That bug was patched, but it means that I have a version where Ardoris is at the top right!
    Let me know if your folks want the PSD.

5. Birko

Birko Avatar

I reckon that LB is going to move the whole world so that the 0 meridians bisect at New Britannia. If anyone could move the world, he's the one.
    A cosmonaut after all :)

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Britanny, is there a Lord British Thron?
    I will calibrate Novia. ;)

AlphaSparqy, Birko and Duke Albert like this.
  7. Topher

Topher Avatar

OUTSTANDING!!!

Birko likes this.
  8. Birko

Birko Avatar

I keep updating the original post map, but don't announce it.
    But seeing how many folk are confused about Hidden Vale and Novia, I have added the ferry.

If you have a website and are linking to a static image, be aware that the map changes.
    I'll keep the most current version in my public Imgur gallery - link in my sig.
    (with Imgur, click the cog at the top right for full resolution)

iansmellios, Katrina Bekers and Mata like this.
  9. Birko

Birko Avatar

This question has consumed me for four weeks, and irrelevant that it came from LB.
    I've been running around the overland map taking /loc readings and becoming more confused about the location data outcomes.
    The further away from the origin (0,0) the more inaccurate the map reading.
    But I have had an epiphany :
    My brother is holidaying in Iceland at the moment, so I looked at Flight Radar24 to surprisingly see that a lot of air traffic near Iceland are New York - Tel Aviv flights.
    On a flat map that looks like a ridiculous distance, but on a globe it is the most efficient curve.
    So for the Novia Overworld map, it is not square. Hexagrams ! This throws Cartesian co-ordinates out of the diamond shaped window.
    If anyone is good with this mathematics, please advise me. :)

http://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

- Birko

(I'm doing a larger version of my previous map because I want to put it up on my wall at poster size)

10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Spherical geometry, a nasty beast.

With an oversimplification, in map theory, you can have:

1) correct areas. The surface on the map is directly, correctly proportional to the surface in real world;
    2) correct distances. With appropriate scale, every distance is faithful to reality;
    3) correct angles. In flat geometry, the sum of internal angles of a triangle is always 180'. On a sphere, this doesn't hold true anymore. If you "cut out" a sector of a sphere, you can have all ninety degrees angles easily, if you cut 1/8 of the volume.

In every 3d -> 2d model, you can have ONLY TWO of these values correct, but not the third. Furthermore, these properties can be hold locally (for "small" maps, that are sections of a sphere/ellipsoid that don't have much distortion given by the Earth curvature - like a city map), or globally, or midway up to certain distortions.

Now, every map system that has 1+2, 2+3 and 1+3 properties has a different name, and different characteristics and different ways to represent the "correct" values, and also the "wrong" or skewed values.

There are dozens and dozens of ways to project a sphere on a plane - with the above caveats. It'd be interesting to know which one is used ingame.

For further reading, and many examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

11. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Any updated versions of this map coming?

Birko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.