Zoning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roger36, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

I would imagine the zoning mechanism in the final release will be removed??

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The "/zone" which costs nothing to perform and can teleport you straight across the world-map instantly ?

Yes, most likely it will be replaced with a proper game mechanism with appropriate costs and balances: Such as say a high-cost spell, or something you can only perform once in a blue moon. :)

Roger36 likes this.
  3. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Maybe it was a silly question :)

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Nah. I'm sure there are many users out there concerned about an obviously economy-breaking command being retained into release.

----

Now asking if that parrot is dead ? That is a silly question. :)

5. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Ohh no the parrot was quite obviously still alive it was just stunned like the shopkeeper said! ;-)

Duke Raas likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Better than being forced to move slowly across scenes that we've seen a thousand times before. People tend to underestimate the devastating effect that monotonous repetition can have on a game.

Eliminating /zone will also CRIPPLE player interaction which for many is central to enjoying the game.

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Agreed. without an easy way to join up with parties or get to events this will be a much more tedious aspect of the game.

I understand the argument for getting rid of it... but without something worthwhile to replace it there is going to be a headache.

Lord Baldrith, FrostII and majoria70 like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    do you mean playing the game or just socializing?

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well if you want to play the game then play the game. If its not the right game then its not the right game.

Its like playing monopoly but you dont want to have to be limited to a 1-6 die roll, so you want to use your d20. But It just dont work that way.

11. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Wow looks like I stirred up a hornets nest!:eek:

12. Swan

Swan Avatar

This one!

Some golden road between, maby giving /zone something like 1-2 hour cooldown, or using rare places to zone like moongate.
    so you cannot zone warp to move items place to another all the time.

13. Sir Baralis

Sir Baralis Avatar

They have mentioned the removal of the /zone command but have been leaving it in place until a more permanent method of "gating/recall/ect" can be implemented. They also mentioned in one of the recent chats that such travel would have to be very limited to perhaps once a day or something so that it does not break other aspects of the game.

I understand their reasoning but I also share some of the feelings brought up in this thread. The over world traveling is just the pita most of the time. I sure do not look forward to needing to traverse the world on the overland map each time I want to adventure or meet up with friends. Hopefully we can find some happy medium.

14. SinDee

SinDee Avatar

Looks like we need to pledge more into the mounts!

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

The system in Morrowind was acceptable in my view. I'd be happy with some variant of their set/recall, striders, etc.

16. Selene

Selene Avatar

+1

Miracle Dragon and majoria70 like this.
  17. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Respectfully, current funding levels of Stretch Goals speaks volumes. A mount stretch goal in an MMO like SotA is ridiculous and it is insulting that pack animals are another separate stretch goal. Few backers of SotA care enough to pay for a feature that should have been there on Day 1. If it is going to put up for sale, then most backers are willing to wait until Portalarium gets around to developing mounts.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

There was never an original intention to make ridable mounts. They added it as a stretch goal because players requested mounts (not part of the KS campaign nor other game design plans - and no, it was never for Ep. 2 or higher either, much to many people's beliefs through the rumor mill).

What's the use of mounts anyway? Every single town/scene is instanced and there's no real need to have a faster way to get from one side of a town to the other. The game is heavily instanced with all the hexes.

Overland travel takes longer than to run from the north side of Braemar to the south. As it is, I doubt a mount would speed up the way a person travels on the overland map.

Having said all that, I love horses in games. I've always owned them. They would be more cosmetic than anything.

And on the other hand, the stretch goal is virtually unattainable and I think they set the bar too high. Way too high.

As for eliminating /zone, I truly hope they come up with something. But you will get people arguing they want people forced to walk, with no magic and no special means to get anywhere. They want "real time" kind of "old school" gaming. Personally, I think that would be a huge mistake, just to cater to the old timers from the early Ultima series.

19. SinDee

SinDee Avatar

I think people requested mounts was what you said before about your feelings about horses, And the fact there will be alot of roleplayers in this game that would injoy them.

20. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I would disagree with zoning for the simple reason that it can allow a players to simply bypass areas that are designed as and meant to act as choke points. A lot of work has gone into building these areas and they are part of the story line, why allow a means that would circumvent everything they worked so hard to implement.

Now, gates, magical teleportation and other means of getting around within the same area, without crossing choke points, could make for interesting dynamics.

jiirc and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.