Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gathering... just sucks

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Violation Clauth, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Let's be frank here: i needed two days to gather the mats and to produce the parts for a bed for my PaxLair house.
    That's too much.
    I don't mind complex crafting and gathering processes but thats somewhat over the top.

Fox Cunning and Net like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

It was propably 99.73% :p The game does not show as precise numbers as it used to.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

How much time would you consider appropriate for gathering materials to make a bed?

I'm not disagreeing with you. In R16 I easily made a bed frame, but when I discovered how much cotton I would need to finish it, I just went and bought a bed from a merchant.

Jatvardur and Selene_Noctua like this.
  4. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

All n All Gathering Still SUCKS js

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's the question, isn't it?
    The main problem for me is at the moment: i don't know.
    Why don't i know? Because i have no idea for how much i can sell a bed.
    But if they will be inside the basic stuff merchants Portalarium is thinking of, then i am pretty sure 1 hour is almost too much.
    I have no problem with a 2 day time period for gathering and crafting if i can get it sold for good money.

4EverLost likes this.
  6. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

yep, went from being to easy to be ridiculous hard

7. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

well, you know you have only a chance of 38%? Thats doesnt mean every third is a success:
    But if you max skilled, then i think 38% is not really a fair chance.

Quenton likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Yes, but, 12 failures in a row? It ended up being ~15 times before I was able to gather the average piece of cotton before I gave up on harvesting that patch. It does seem to be better since they fixed combat but it's still broken. I'm gathering 4-6 times on 48% hides... that's an an average of 20% not 48%.

Also, I'm max on all my gathering skills now :-/

I agree that the % success is WAY to low for someone with max bonuses on their gathering.

Lord Lonn and Isaiah like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My only experience gathering in R17 was when I found a cave with a rare node and my chance to succeed at mining (at level 5 with no skill) was <1%. LOLOLOLOLOL

Level systems. :(

I'm not sure how to balance this...it's not a very sophisticated system at the moment. If you make it easier then it's just easier. The lack of player skill having an impact (on everything) is the problem, imo.

10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We know its bad right now.

I am trying to spend most of my time this week and next just playing the game.

Just today Chris changed a bunch of the math with gathering and at least for the first few levels it feels much, much better as far as success rates are concerned.

Next up we are going to look at yield numbers per node to get those closer to a fun level.

11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

This just in: you are my hero

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

+1

13. Net

Net Avatar

I think that successful harvesting should be easy, hower the higher level player is, the quicker they are (that seems to be in, though at max level the gathering of high level cotton is still painfully slow and trees and ores are not much better), the more they can harvest and especially the more likely they harvest the rare bits.

14. Night Fury

Night Fury Avatar

DS,

OK, this is good news. However, this does beg the question, uhh how often does Port play the game? Next, is the game played for even an hour by a dev before a change is posted to QA? Or is Dev interaction the last stage? Sorry for the negative tone. But seriously, I am curious.

Prepared for my slap sir!

Take care.

NF

Arianna likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Can I craft a cotton mower ? :D

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  16. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I guess the problem is that everyone wants harvesting to be 'fun', meaning 'get lots of stuff' each time they harvest. So, then we're going to have an excess of resources harvested and an excess of gear made which is going to make resources/gear worthless. Or is there a plan to somehow balance that?

17. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Good news DS, because gathering is a bit of a pita.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Theres always a plan...

but harvesting cotton shouldn't require maxed out skills... lets say I get a flaming two handed, can I cut the plant now ? a tailor can sort it out from there :) Skinning an animal is a whole different story, I would totally shred the hide with my two hander...

Maybe it could give different qualities indeed, and it could mean that lesser quality would also make broken items etc... which would sink much of the "excess" cotton in regular scriptable game mechanics, but that would still be not enough to make this fun.

But of course there is a plan... the problem is lots of people want the "easy" version of SotA vision... and its becoming way too real of a deal.

We've tried talking about cotton rotting in the rain, pests that can infest a whole tailor shop because of a hasty gatherer with bad surveying skill... but you just can't imagine the outrage...

It seems way too often, people's unsubstantiated opinion but given at the right time outweights a mature and virtuous commentary thats rooted in years of thoughtful appreciation and diplomacy. Someone in the world must be able to force the opponent's hand... *cough*

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Thanks for the honestly, I'm glad you guys are looking at things like this, that need improvements badly.

Sinclair likes this.
  20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think that problem could be fixed with the durability on weapons and armor being degraded over time til they get to the point they cannot be repaired any longer, which would require you to purchase or make new armor once the old equipment is worn out completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.