Crafting Recipes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Strumshot, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I haven't played SPORE.. but I remember from when I was a young kid games where you baked cakes, and beforehand you would set up the assembly line for shaping, cutting, and decorating the different parts. :D

2. Brightstar

Brightstar Avatar

This boot recipe should be considered the "basic" recipe design. The actual materials used of various types will change the end result. Ex: Use 2 yrds of soft leather, 2 copper bindings, etc. would make the end result something different yet still a boot. Also, the skill level of the crafter should factor in on the quality and/or chance of success.

So what I'm trying to say is change the type of material(s) without changing the end product while providing a different outcome. Whether pine or maple or oak or whatever is used to make a table, its still going to be a table.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heh well the actual idea was a little different from SPORE implementation but the basic concept is more or less the same. Basically the idea was that you could warp the shape of a component within a limited range at certain points which would allow you to make adjustments to say.. (in the case of a sword blade) the length and width of a blade, the shape of the tip, curvature etc..

Also behind the idea was that there would be more components. Right now for swords for example we just have the hilt and blade.. but what was suggested was to actually have the cross guard, grip and pommel.. which could also be adjusted. Then all of that could be made with different materials which would affect their appearance etc, etc.

Well let's say I may not have fully appreciated the scope of the cost of all that work at the time. :) If I had my way the craft system alone would probably cost 6-10 million. :)

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That is essentially one of the core ideas that did make it into crafting which I'm quite pleased with. :)

5. Strumshot

Strumshot Avatar

Yeah, I can't help but try to think in terms of efficiency for developers.

Simply including the already existing recipe in the inputs would allow for redundancies. I see it as being a... 4 man hour journey? Which in the long run would actually save time when it came time to add in new recipes. Its a win win win win win:

Less time for devs, normalizes similar items' recipes (which the devs have been working toward), provides more scalability, provides a bigger, balanced variety of visual gear in game, it would prevent being able to just look up recipes - making it possible to make crafting quests with recipe rewards - and I would wager would save time and money in the long run.

6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I have seen this claim a few times now, not only by you Bowen so what I'm about to say it's nothing aimed at you.

When devs make bold statements like "everything in the game will be player made" make a true role-player and a person with genuine crafting interest smile. But this also mean that the crafting must be more important that housing, barbecue without craftsman we wont have anything to decorate out houses with. Crafting must also me bore important than combat, again without craftsman you would only have naked people fist fighting. And as you might now get it I can go on with every singe part of the game and you will not get there with out
    craftsman as long as developers stand be their words: "everything in the game will be player made"

Yes here we are in R17 and hardly any work have yet been made to the crafting system and that really makes me sad. I do not meat that all the recipes must be in before all the other system. As things sits right now there must be huge changes done to the crafting system or a pretty large community will be quite displeased.

Edit: I need to clarify my self here. When I say important system above I mean purely from a priority point of view because it's the base of the whole game if everything will be player crafted.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I really don't think anyone outside of Portalarium is in any position to lay claims as to how much work has gone in crafting or not. None of see code or the most of the designs or anything that brings it all together. We only see what's on the surface.. R17 is still a long way to go.

I will leave the debate as to which system is more important than which up to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.