Weapon Cut Gems - not available on Owls Head Vendors now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by szehring, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. szehring

szehring Avatar

I saw that you could buy these from the recipe vendors in Owl's head, but now that I finally got enough copper to make my 2 handed sword, I cannot find any Weapon Cut gems to add to it. I saw them on these vendors before, i think it was in the release as well.

Anyone else notice this? or is someone just buying them all up? I have checked over 15 times since yesterday (Thursday afternoon).

Is there somewhere to mine the un cut gems? - I really want a weapon cut ruby for my sword.

* Just an added note, does the 10% Fire Damage work in this release? is this 10% of the weapon damage (so 10% of 8 to 25?)

2. Flip

Flip Avatar

You can buy the uncut rubies from the reagent trader. Then use a simple alchemy recipe to make them weapon cut.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  3. szehring

szehring Avatar

Flip - Thank you soooo much.

I was going crazy trying to figure that out. When did they make this change? How does everyone else know about it? Was it announced or listed in patch notes?

4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Mostly forum chatter on where to find raw ingredients, there are recipes listed on www.sotawiki.net , there is also the spreadsheet in my Sig if you have excel.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The easiest place to mine the blue (sapphire) uncut gems is the Bandit's cave in Owl's Nest. If you don't attack anyone they won't attack you, and you can mine all the gems. If you are lucky, there will be one uncut gem drop amongst the lot. The other broken pieces do add up so it is worthwhile taking them to the reagents vendor to sell. I usually go to the one in Kingsport.

6. szehring

szehring Avatar

Cool, thanks. I grabbed the spreadsheet.

I will make my sword tonight - thanks again!

7. szehring

szehring Avatar

Dorham - Are you using archery (judging by your sig)?

Is it effective?

I heard lots of posts that it is still pretty broken, damage still too low, mobs close in before you can kill them, need melee to finish them off. I did see a post that arrow recipe now makes 100?

I love playing as an archer in other games (skyrim, etc.), I would love to try it here, so any tips on skills, gear, arrows, or playing tactics would be appreciated

8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Archery still needs work :( I am currently using a crafted Long Bow of Long Shot (with the Weapon Cut Sapphire for extra Wind Damage) and the damage inflicted still pales in comparison to that inflicted by my two-handed Sword of Flaming (unless I score a critical, of course...;))

If you choose NOT to use a melee weapon in addition to your bow, you will have to rely on magic in order to survive...A pure archer is NOT currently viable. (I should know, I've been playing one for the last seven releases and learned the hard way that hybrid archer/mage is the way to go for now ;))

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Archery is my preferred play style, I don't currently play often enough to know if it's viable yet, its getting closer.

10. szehring

szehring Avatar

Thanks guys!

Gabriel - What Armor do you use?, are arrow recipess now making 100 instead of 1

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

I am currently using augmented leather for chest and leggings, crafted enhanced leather pieces for helmet, gloves, and boots. (I have also used epic leather in past releases.) Do NOT use chain or plate if you plan on using magic extensively!

Yes, they fixed the arrow recipe to produce 100 arrows instead of 1 :) I still find it cheaper to buy them from the vendor though...

12. szehring

szehring Avatar

Is Augmented Leather the best, or is there craftable armor that is better? - can you add any archery related stats to armor (like +Dex or +Dam, or +range?)

I hope Archery gets some love in the upcoming releases, for all of our sakes! I want to snipe mobs in this game, a one shot kill, or even 2 shot would be awesome, even if it takes a lot of time or skill to get there.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

No, it is not. You can craft enhanced leather armor (i.e., Greater Dodge, Greater Defense, Greater Power, etc.) once you craft the right kind of leather (i.e., hard, soft, etc.) (See Dorham's spreadsheet ;)). I only had enough hides to craft the enhanced helmet, boots, and gloves so far. (You need about 400 hides to craft a complete set of leather armor now :eek:)

14. szehring

szehring Avatar

I have been killing a lot of wolves, while trying to get the ore to make my sword (Needed 36 Copper Ore, and 2 Tin), I have some leather, but not that much.

So what is the tactic for an Archer / Mage? - wear the best leather armor, then use archery till they close in, then use spells?

If so what archery skills and arrows are best, and which spells etc. I hate the whole deck thing, so I play with locked glyphs, would that work for archery - I'm curious to try it out

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Yup :) Fire arrow and death ray in your deck for ranged attacks (because you WILL run out of arrows and they don't inflict enough damage...;)); death touch, flame fist, immolation, and death field at melee range ;) Aimed shot + fire arrow = Fiery Decay combo (at range). Piercing shot also inflicts a lot of damage. The other types of arrow attacks (such as blinding shot and disabling shot) are not that effective, but I still use them occasionally...

16. szehring

szehring Avatar

Sounds good, which archery skills do you recommend, and which skills are not worth it. I am level 45, so if I respec, I should be able to put points in everything I want.

Which arrows should I buy, and are crafted ones better/different in any way?

17. Gabriel Nightshadow

The current limit on points spent on innate skills really hinders you in this respect. (You will want to buy innate skills to increase accuracy, range, and draw strength.) You can only craft regular arrows, which are no better than those purchased from the vendor :( I carry regular, bodkin, bola, and flare arrows. (Do NOT buy the other two arrow types available for sale from the vendor because those skills have NOT been activated yet...)

18. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

You can also loot the un-cut gems from mining crystals in the spectral mines.

19. szehring

szehring Avatar

How do you get to the spectral mines, or Graff gem mines now? (no Lunar Rift)

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

You must travel to the mainland of Novia to reach those locations now ;) Take the boat docked at Kingsport on the overland map to reach Ardoris, and then proceed on foot on the overland map from there...Beware of the ghosts in the Spectral Mines which you must pass in order to get to the gems...:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.