Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by neontweak, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neontweak

neontweak Avatar

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet or it might just be too much for such a cosmetic feature, but it would be very cool/immersive if your avatar would age with time. They could go one step further and pickup various scars or even show signs of good vs evil ala the "Fable" series. I've always thought this would be a great development feature for MMO's to further differentiate characters and show progression in a visual manner. Any thoughts?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Cool idea, but it would cost money that is allocated toward other features.
    Maybe later in the series?

3. neontweak

neontweak Avatar

Figured it was not something that could make it in for release. Kinda curious why no one has implemented such a feature in an mmo, their are people that like to see character customization post creating your character (other wise who would care how cool the new armor you got was or other types of look customizations,) and especially those who get into role play the immersion that kinda feature would give to see you character age the more you play and then pickup traits that would show your alignment. Thinking back to Ultima
    (when you did something wrong you were flagged with a title) if you were a character that defied the law and killed or stole you could maybe pick up optional "rewards" that would allow you to change you appearance slightly to look more menacing, and vice versa if you were a person that did good deeds followed the straight and narrow maybe helping other players you could pickup "rewards" that would make you look more heroic. Again just think someone should implement something like this, and thought SotA would be the best game for it.

4. Sir Frank

There are New You shops planned for the game, so it is not outside the realm of possibility.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  5. neontweak

neontweak Avatar

I have not read about "new you shops." Where can I read about it?

6. Sir Frank

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Since all players are Avatars, and Avatars (just like Lord British) are effectively immortal, it doesn't seem necessary to age them. If anything, it would be the NPCs who should age...

Bowen Bloodgood and Sir Frank like this.
  8. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome neontweak!

9. neontweak

neontweak Avatar

Ok, so maybe nix the aging if all avatars are considered immortal and of fixed age, but ones look could still change with ones alignment choices good/evil (again all optional "rewards" that could be applied.) Thanks for the welcome Mata!

Hettar Fimbultyr and Mata like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome Neontweak.

I can see how aging is immersive in a simulation sort of way. Wondering though if the community here has thoughts on why it is 'fun' in a game otherwise? Does character aging create a sense of time passing for you, which adds to a measure of character progress and fun? Or something else?

11. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I generally like the idea, but I think the main reason why this isn't commonly done in MMOs isn't a cost measure but because part of the idea of an MMO is that it's never ending, so if a character was all scarred up and hardened looking after a year (which is already a long time by todays MMO standards) you'd pretty quickly see everyone who's been around look like that.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  12. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Just me speaking, this is one of those features that could make SotA the "ultimate" RPG that LB used to speak of. I have some thoughts on the mechanics could work if anyone ever does develop the "ultimate" RPG but that's seems to be outside the scope of SotA much less Episode 1.

13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Going to a plastic surgeon NPC would be more in the lines of reality. If I don't like my dude's face after a while I'll just wear a helmet 24/7, heh.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Putting aside the aging issue.. I'm definitely for the acquisition of scars.. provided you also have the option to remove them.

Appearance changing with virtue.. I'm not so sure about. I personally don't think we should be able to look at someone and know whether or not they're virtuous by their physical looks. Taking Fable as the example here.. all virtuous characters would have to be blondes and all evil characters would have to have black hair with horns. That would be a little too extreme. BUT.. if changes were more subtle.. like say.. evil characters scowl and furl their brow more for example.. give them "darker" expressions and idle animations.. that I might be able to get behind.

Generally speaking I think what SotA is going here is to give players full control over their avatar's appearance (as much as the game will allow at least).. rather than having it dictated by a system.

That said.. let me take a moment to plug an idea we haven't talked about for awhile as it's appearance related. Tattoos! :)

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

ink is a good thing, in my opinion.

16. Robby

Robby Avatar

Aging is just a natural part of living, that we generally see as a negative thing. Who wants to get bags under their eyes, grey haired, bald, frail, or senile? Its awful! Its not a choice to age. So if your going to include "aging" in this game its going to have to be without the players choice. I think for awhile it might make the game seem immersive and realistic but at the same time you might start not liking the way your avatar looks. Could get a lot of players upset.
    Some things though I think should be a players choice in appearance... somewhat. Like facial features and stuff that should be controllable from the beginning. Scars should be unavoidable depending on what kinds of things your avatar goes through. Like maybe you can elect to do a quest that can leave irreversible scars on your avatar such as missing limbs or eyes, meaning you will have to get a peg leg or an eye patch or a hook for a hand. Maybe you could choose the kind of prosthetic you would like to have or just not have one. If you go to a smith you could maybe get a prosthetic hand with a powerful magnet in it so that you can continue to use a two handed sword even after losing a hand. Kind of like the character guts from berserk.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Not so sure about the amputations, but I do like the scarring idea.

Maybe during character creation, have the option to turn aging and scarring on...

My toon is already old, so I wonder what aging will do, anyway.

18. reezer

reezer Avatar

I think scars are an interesting idea.

About aging I do see a couple of problems:

- Average avatars after a while be really old, mainly because I guess a lot of them will start out at a certain time and then when the peak is reached people are old (maybe not a problem!)

- What if I don't login for a while? Should my avatar age? If yes: I can imagine that could be kind of shocking if you somehow can't play for a few months. If not: It can be kind of weird, when other players you frequently play with (and maybe RP with) have a different age because they play more or less frequently.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Great idea and we are dreaming here. the characters and character customization system is not complete yet so we don't know at the moment what will be added. So thanks for mentioning. That is what we do here, mention good ideas or ideas we think are good ideas. I personally don't want an aged character but perhaps with the aging slider or whatever perhaps I would find that I like the look of sliding some to the right or left or however it works. You just never know. For character customization I am with you, the more the better. We do not want to all look just alike. I say we need this customization at launch. I'm sure it is on the schedule.;) Welcome to Shrouds neontweak.:)

20. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I had a UO account on Napa. logged into it after 4 year hiatus my main's hair was grey. That was rad.

I'd like to see something of that nature for Shroud. Once the game is a few years in they can start to develop and implement cosmetic changes based on account age, skill usage, kill count, death count etc. Maybe even spells that make you look young again.

Either way, we won't see anything like this in Episode 1, we will all still be young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.