Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Don´t you think than night is too much dark.

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by gustavor38, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gustavor38

gustavor38 Avatar

Well, IMHO the overland map is too much dark. It´s very difficult to see the character (often impossible) in night time. Perhaps is there any way to use a torch or anything? I don´t know if it is only my problem but the land is very very very dark too, only any reflections in high mountain but a lot of places are pitch black.

rob2, Drystone and FrostII like this.
  2. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

I think it is a little too bright. It feels like it is a full moon every night.

Leostemplar, sardon777 and Abydos like this.
  3. Thud

Thud Developer Emeritus

Note that torches and Light spells work on the overland map, if you find it a little hard to find your way around.

Moving this to the Feedback forums.

sardon777 and Abydos like this.
  4. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I think darkness gives meaning to torches, light producing equipment and light spells. and the darkness your avatar encounters should be translated for your eyes as well. It's part of immersion. Yes the periphery of darkness around the radius of your magic light or torch should be mysterious and forboding. It should hide the attacking enemy otherwise there is no cover of night. In my travels I found that the darkness made fighting bands of skeletal warriors much more interesting, especially the ranged ones. locating the skeletal mage from where its fire ball originated and having the skeletons upon you without seeing them until in the range of your light was great. Should there be more light depending on the phases of the moon.? sure. but keep darkness meaningful

Abydos and Hazard like this.
  5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

Try playing around with the tonemapping setting under video options. I have found with tonemapping off, yes the overland map is very dark almost too much so. With tonemapping on I thought it was overly bright with release 17, but the darkness at night seems about right with release 18.

Chatele and smack like this.
  6. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

Imho, the problem is that day-nighttime in overland map is not related to the scenes' cycle.

Example: I was wandering by night in overland map, very dark, no way to see nothing around. Then I entered a scene ans find myself really surprised as I saw a bright dawn inside. Then I go back to the overland map: and found again a total black night.

It should be fixed I suppose, like it is now it is very confusing and grotesque. :)

Chatele and FrostII like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

We really need a brightness / gamma slider (with example image, "make sure image is barely visible" type thingy) to ensure everyone is setting it to the "right" levels based on their monitor and lighting conditions. There are far too many posts with varying extremes from too bright to too dark.

I think the nights are very dark, especially on the overland map, but I think it's appropriate. You will want to:

- use a torch
    - cast a magic light spell (has greater range than torch, I think)
    - stick to the well-lit roads (please put more lamp posts on well-travelled, guarded roads)
    - POIs (like towns) should have more light sources to assist as far-off visual cues for navigation

And this is where they can entice us....what is that glowing thing in the forest...should I go there or not? Or, after they fix the lame slow travel speed issues of crawling through a forest, should I cut through the forest to get to my destination in less time and risk whatever lurks there, or stick to the roads?

Otherwise, do not venture into the dark:

Chatele, Drystone and Malchor1 like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm going to try to get around to this later today.. like I mentioned in the other thread, I want to put up some screenshots that other people can compare with.

Some of what we're talking about might just be differences in brightness because of screens and video settings, in which case it'll be easy to find out. But I've dealt with some of that myself, since one of my screens reflects a lot of glare early in the morning, so everything seems darker. When there's less glare, it sometimes feels to bright. I also played around with tone-mapping, and noticed it gets darker also. If that's all that's the issue, then the devs should have tools to help players with that.

But even under the darkest conditions that I've tested, I've noticed that you still have enough of a radius of light to see the road ahead of you and the road behind you. At least in most cases -- since, on some places on the map, the road kind of gets lost and isn't well paved. But as long as you can see the road ahead of you, and the road behind you, its possible to navigate the map.

9. Mythic Blade

Mythic Blade Avatar

This game has always felt too dark to me. I just made a habit of cranking up my gamma by ~30% before I start playing and problem solved.
    I'm hoping they provide this option in-game before release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.