"SOTA should have been Steampunk"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyhaven, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

"SOTA should have been Steampunk"

Has there been a missed opportunity? Or is there still some un-tapped potential?

First, a few words in support:

An early interview with RG for rockpapershotgun.com shows enthusiasm for electrical tech and "the mechanical age":

"We’ve brought electricity into existence, for example. But we specifically did not bring in gunpowder. We didn’t want guns. That technology does not exist. But a little bit of the mechanical age does, and a little bit of Nikola Tesla is also a big inspiration."

Consider also Denis Loubet's amazing SOTA Concept Art

"...the early concept of SotA had a heavy steampunk influence. Lots of leather and brass, lots of straps and pockets. I think it would have made for a distinctive game."

See topic "Early SotA Character Concept Art" in 'General Discussion' started by dloubet, Jan 1, 2015.

[​IMG]

Looking at Denis's illustrations one cant't help but wonder 'what if?' Had SOTA been steampunk then it would have certainly given it a USP, after all how many steampunk mmo's are there?

Right, now lets have a look at what we do have:

1) Tesla Towers
    "The moon towers that channel aetheric energies in cities like Owls Head and Ardoris are used to beam energy to various devices, including defensive energy fences surrounding these cities".
    (See also topic "SPOILER:Titan Shield or Tesla Tower SOTA Lore Masters please answer in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Duke William, Jan 23, 2015.)

2) The wonderful Golden Oracle Coin (Relics by Rild)
    A great illustration of the Oracle by Sir Frank. "No one knows what... it? she? he? The voice is always different, and always what the listener expects. Is it a machine, an intelligent device that somehow survived the Cataclysm?" Plenty of cables feeding into that head!

3) Tour Guide
    Is not human, but is instead a rather sophisticated Automaton. And for those of Lord Marshall pledge or higher, you get your very own! Question: who is manufacturing these?
    See topic "Automaton" in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Nov 8, 2014.

[​IMG]

There is fun in crude tech and weird inventions that can give an added dimension to game systems like combat, crafting (inventing??) and home decoration. For the former, I have images of the GW2 Engineer who can watch a mob close-in on them, only to boot the beast away with a "personal battering ram" (concealed spring-loaded rams-head that shoots from the chest). Total satisfaction.

I think there is still opportunity for more tech in this game, be it steam or electricity (aetheric energy) driven.

What wonders can the kobolds give us? "...among the cleverest of mankind’s foes." "have culture and industrial know-how to rival, even surpass, that of mankind."

[​IMG]
    Not only clever, but also good at biting your face.

They might not look the part ("Kobolds are described as being short and oafish in appearance...") but I do like the story "Nikola Tesla was transported to this realm at an early age where he was raised and tutored by kobolds.". Not sure about that, but we are dealing with concepts & potential here, not straight factual lore.

Perhaps there could be undiscovered sources for technology. Imagine another continent or island separated from Novia where a technological culture has developed, or an underground city protected from the cataclysm and still with pre-existing technologies.

Whether it be kobold-tech, Titan-tech, pre-cataclysm-tech, or some other "undiscovered" tech, I would urge Portalarium to give SOTA a bit more of a covering of the old "Steampunk" sauce!

2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I dunno, I prefer the current art style to the steampunk one. Thats just me.

3. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Interesting post :) I wouldn't want to see a big departure from the current style of the game, but a few gadgets and clothing items based on the 'aetheric energy tech' wouldn't be at odds with the kind of magic we already have in skill trees.

Balancing would definitely be an issue - there's already enough trouble with existing skills, and circumventing them completely would really screw everything up, so that magnetic field gun would need some hefty penalties or yet another dedicated skill. More clothing options are expected anyway though and it would be nice to have some steampunky items in there!

And I like the idea of a separate 'tech island' which perhaps guards its secrets carefully, so that the rest of the world sees very little of it... hopefully you haven't accidentally stumbled on the plot of Chapter 5 several years ahead of time :p

Greyhaven and Acred like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Some may recall on rare occassions when the subject has come up. Richard has talked about having more tech in-game although probably not to a huge extent to where a sword would be useless. Gas guns have come up a number of time as I'm reasonably sure there has been talk of other tech based devices. We will have to see. I don't think EP1 would deviate too much from where Ultima IX was. If a lot more tech is added I'dlike to see it introduced gradually.

Vaentorian likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

"Nikola Tesla was transported to this realm at an early age where he was raised and tutored by kobolds." <-- that was me that edited the Nikola Tesla wiki to say that and lots of people yelled at me. Worth it.

6. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, originally I think they leaned very much towards steampunk but seemed to have settled on a mix of clockpunk and Teslapunk? I'm not a big fan of steampunk, but I did enjoy Denis' early artwork.

7. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

It was also to be a turd of a Facebook mobile game with a pay to win cash shop and dumbed down combat. So there is always that to think about.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

Steampunk skill tree and steam punk playercrafter items.

9. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I don't hate steampunk but I would rather see it in another game - a recreation of Martian Dreams for example.

gtesser, Hazard, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  10. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm all for SOTA going more steampunk in future episodes, would be kool to see the world go through the age it's currently in, into a steampunk age. I've always wanted to play a steampunk style game!

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sounds like the Dwemer :D

Its hard to say whether or not the game design has changed. When RG showed off prototype videos at Kickstarter, it was a typical sword and shield fantasy game, and he told fans that even though he planned to put in steampunkish elements, he was still trying to hold in the reins in and not have it go too far out of the standard Medieval fantasy element. That's why there was a decision not to include guns, from what I understand, but I think its also affected decisions in other parts of development.

At this point, at any rate, the dev team has decided to call it "clockpunk," which is consistent element in a lot of fantasy games, including Ultima and the Elder Scrolls.

12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Aye, it is not too late. Whose to say that future SOTA episodes / islands will not have a steam punk theme. But I think I would prefer to see the technology in the hands of NPCs in earlier episodes first though, to create a menacing empire enemy. And then maybe get access to it as players later on.

13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

SOTA might not be hardcore steam punk like the early concept art, but it will still be steam punk, and even early interviews Garriott said it would be a mix between fantasy and steampunk, and used a word I can't remember what the word was. Anyway, there are still tons of little steam punk elements everywhere, tesla towers, automatons, The Oracle, The Oracle is still going to be a MAJOR factor in the game, and she, being inspired by H.R. Giger's very dark industrial and steam-punk-ish art, The Oracle will probably be an awesome thing, I look forward to seeing what she's like in-game, and not just the awesome steam punk internet block screens with her voice.

14. selbie

selbie Avatar

I would love to see an online RPG with that art style, but I do not think it would mesh well with the Ultima world.

15. Darkblade

Darkblade Avatar

There used to be a steampunk gun in the GUI on the old videos

16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There was this... the $5 Million Pledge reward for everyone....

[​IMG]

Maybe more clothing options will appear?

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

The problem with steampunk is that it makes everything look like a scrapyard; there's only variety in it if its sparse.

18. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I would like to see steam punk introduced more and more with each release to foster the idea of avatars bringing there knowledge of real world tech into this world.

19. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

They're probably not doing steam punk because they understand what a stupid fad it is. Steampunk reminds me of ska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.