Concerns about Cash Items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haukeye, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey wait maybe I should like advocate for the devs too it seems like an easy way to get some likes around here...

Now its our fault ! We asked for features and now they need funded (I'm sorry I don't see one bit what you're talking about)

I can't see ONE feature that needs "funded"... it shows that none of you "advocates" have any experience with recent engines and how EASY it is to make custom scripts and animations etc... The more I study, the more I'm appalled at the lack of transparency.

Yes I know its better than outright lies, but its still a lie of omission.

I won't name names, but I know very prominent people who came here with a huge smile on their face, even got invited by the team, but they had to pay finally to try it out and they could SINGLE handedly make a game like ours in a few months.

Ok maybe there would be not as nice graphics, but the gameplay would be SOLID, I know cause they did it before they don't need to prove it.

They left this community in disgust... I'm certain we won't see them again, or their happy kid-like smile they had when they learned this would be a real Lord British game. This is a real portalarium game, and the rest of the team has more influence than the visionary whom we kickstarted.

Ah I guess more people are going to accuse me of having less likes than posts now, great welcoming community.

2. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

While some here are just livid with this post. I am glad that it has seemed to be bringing out both sides and that some very good points have been brought up. Like it or not people have opinions, and most will just set back and never say a thing about them. I chose to stand up and say my peace. Does this mean I am unhappy with the game or it's progress? Heck no! But as a backer, I am a part of this game as is all the other backers, and with this we have a right to our opinion AND to be able to give said opinion without grief.
    I agree with the above poster on why are we paying for cosmetic stuff at this stage of the game?
    Why do we have a stretch goal for mounts if there going to be free in a future episode? To me that seems like money grubbing.
    If people think I am upset because I can not afford the cash shop items they would be sadly mistaken. And for the guy who said all people do is cry because they are spoiled? Let me tell you this has nothing to do with being spoiled. It has to do with wanting to spend my money here for meaningful stuff. not worthless fluff that is overpriced and should be part of the game.
    By the time this game launches what is actually going to be left o buy IN GAME? If all the neat stuff just gets put in the add on store?

TheMadHermit likes this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The stretch goals were pretty much just there to get those particular features in early, that section of the store could have been better placed since many people don't even notice it.

4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I think what is adding to people's perceptions of the whole nickle and diming thing is that there is a lot of stuff in the cash shop that has very little equivalent that can be earned in regular game play. For example there are plenty of hats and outfits and cloaks but the vast majority are cash shop or pledge items. There are four regular housing plot wall types you can buy in game but thirteen in the cash shop. Two types of pavers in game, six in the shop. As for cloaks - I don't believe there are even any that are not pledge rewards or cash items. Likewise with pets. All hats are tour/store/pledge items except for the wizard hat. And so on.

I don't know when they are going to address that imbalance - maybe it is just a low priority to put in new REGULAR wearables and items at this stage in development (we're still stuck with the two merchant outfits and the red dress that have been in since R4 for example) but I can understand why things like this are leading people to perceive things in a certain way.

Even I have concerns sometimes. I think there is a place for the cash shop but I don't want the game to feel like a bland experience if you choose not to use it like in many F2P games. For example one thing I am really looking forward to is dyes in R19. But there isn't really a lot of clothing to dye right now. And I'm also worried what the pricing strategy for them will be. Will they have an extensive selection of dyes made in game and a few special ones in the cash shop, or will it be the other way around - only a few normal dyes and lots of colours in the cash shop? I'll wait and see.

Katrina Bekers, TheMadHermit and Hauk like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What happens when you hire people who tell you to do something but then you realise that your community is 10 years in advance of any "experience" you would have ever imagined paying for.

It belongs to us, this game, every people equally who made it devs and backers on an equal floor, thats what I pledged for..

As long as people won't be accountable in a friendly way and not in the extreme "lawyer-liar" way we're just going to be WORRIED, and unable to enjoy our time, its pretty clear both ways.

We exist for a reason its not time to shut the blinders off, here we beg you... acknowledge our existence.

*dramatic undertones*

*dramatic heartfelt gesture*

*lets a apinning long stem rose fly down from top of mount doom kinda act*

[aawwwwwwwww]

*curtains*

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Two new outfits in R18 which you can get from the tailors.

Me I'm hoping we will see very few NPC only attire, instead I want it all to be craftable, and there is little point in adding gfx objects for the crafting trees when there isn't any actual crafting trees in yet.

So while I'm also wishing for more diversity for wearables, I'm hoping those will come when crafting is iterated on for real instead of the skeleton system we have now.

7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Here's a good poll. What kind of clothing would you like to see next? Armor, fancy, laborer, etc.? And the community votes, 2 releases later we get it. Why is this system so difficult to implement?

licemeat likes this.
  8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

This thread is currently closed pending review. And for those of you whose posts have gone poof, please remember to keep posts on topic... and a gentle reminder that there is a thin line between constructive criticism and slander/defamation. :cool:

Duchess Wyldemane and Duke Raas like this.
  9. Jahosefat

Jahosefat Avatar

Here is my feeling from a possible new backer point of view. I have just started to really get into looking at this game and it looks like it could be amazing. The problem I see as mentioned is the large amount of cash options and the huge disparity between the packages. I play games (MMO's in particular) to feel some sense of community and achievement. After looking at what one can get by throwing cash at the game before launch I sort of feel like most of the goals usually set for players (housing/cities/castles etc.) are just given to players who have the most cash to give. What makes it worse in my opinion is that they get these items straight away at the start of the game.

When the game launches, there will already be people with towns, large houses or castles, land deeds with no taxes etc. and thats just the start. Where do I fit in as a new player with a lower budget? Or a new player just getting started at launch? I see all these people with their cities set up and land taken up and I am running around in noob gear with nothing. Is it really worth it to work so hard and put so much time into a game where people are already so far ahead?

It is similar to how I feel about starting a game a year after launch. I don't really feel like playing because others are so far ahead. If I have the choice I will pass on that game and start a new release game where I am on the same footing as everyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is that If i don't spend thousands of dollars at the get go I will feel severely disadvantaged and thus not so motivated to play.

10. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Yet this is not unique to SotA. Just look at Crowfall, Camalot Unchained, Albion, Star Citizen, etc. We are seeing a sign of the times with backed gaming. For that very reason I've avoided backing other games, because I feel that SotA does so to a lesser degree.

I completely understand how you feel. It will certainly be a distinct barrier to some getting into the game at all. This is a distinctive risk that backed gaming systems all have to consider.

That being said, I'm more impressed, than turned off by, some of the distinctly large individual investments that people have made with this game. It's because the majority of these are truly rooted in a passion for what this project can become...and not driven by greed, power or ego. Stick around and you'll meet some of the most uniquely generous, supportive and enthusiastic backers of any community you could be part of.

There's a place for you here, if you want it. And the cost of membership is measured in community engagement, not in acres land ownership.

11. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Let me tell you my story how i found out about shroud of the avatar, how or wy i bought the game. (and it takes a little but i will get to the money/shop topic so stay with me)

Out of some reasons i klickt on a video i saw abouta dude named Spoony.
    He had a series about Ultima games. Back in the days i never played Ultima.
    I heard about it but for a odd reason it never appield to me. That said i grew up in a times when games like Monkey Island, Wolfenstein and Doom come to existence.
    My very first realy RPG that i played on my own was Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. Since than i was hooked with fantasy games and books. But as i sad for a odd reason i never played on ultima game.

I realy enjoyed Spoonys Ultima reviews, and thought richard garriott and his team realy shaped some of the gaming history.
    I started to look around and found a video about richards mansion, and his tripp to space. The fact that he had the chanze to into space, impressed me. (RG my biggest respect for living your dreams!)
    Than i saw the Lord British Comes video. And it allsow was the first time i heard about Shroud.
    Little hyped and interrest throu spoonys video, i got realy interrest in shroud.

Then there was the steam announcment. I went to steam wanted to pick it up and.... backed off.
    Reason: It was again a early access game that allsow was dare to charge 45 Euros. (50 dollers or somthign like that)
    For those who are a lot of steam, under stand wy i backed off. We got flooded about early access games, that where over years in devlopment and never reached the stage where you could have said they are half done.

So i was skeptikal and waited. But after watching again some videos about richard talking with peaple about his new game, i thought F-it i will give it i try, when i can wast my money on so many other games, than i can give shroud a fair chanze.
    (I still think for early acess is 45 way to much for steam standards, that said i know that this price is part of the pledg system so i dont complaining about the price i only point out some facts)

I met 2 womans that change my life (in shroud), well 4 with my mom and my crazy ex girlfrind, but iam talking about Kara Brae and Sophi. Both showed me arround helped me level and i saw what shroud is realy about, whats the core mechanic behind shroud is. Rollplaying. And i loved it. The community is OWSEM! and eery body who reads this can give him/here self a High FIVE!

That said back then i wouldnt event tought going for eldemann, if it wasnt for the community. If i never had the meet up with thos players i would had stop playing after view houers. (wich whoud had been an big error)
    After i saw all the housing featurs and how we could interakt with the world and npcs i got realy interrest, but still the main paint was the community.

First i was shocked, 580 dollers to reach Edelmann, wich i was realy interrested as i said. Iam a gamer, and i have houndreds of games allone on steam. Iam not rich but i spent each money 50-100 euros on games.
    So i thought well buying all that **** or save money for Edelmann, i can do that.
    So i boguth Edelman and i neve regredet it. BUT then i found out about all the waterfront founder problems..... looking at you dark starr! Just kidding (i know wy it is how it is and being loyal to your bakers is somthing i can respekt)
    So... darn i love pirats, but i cant get a water lot or ship (My thought at this time; 3800 dollers for baron to get my ship? i never spent so much money(we will go this thought later bare with me XD)) but only Royal Founders and Founder would be abel to claim them. So i went a little bit upset, cos dissaointed. Darkstarr was realy n1 to clear me up wy and how my option are.

So i went to the player shop and bought a RF account from a nother player. ( i must say peaple are greade bas.. kidding) I realy overpayed and i wished the money i could have spent on the game, thats the only 280 dollers i wished i would had spent on shroud and not hand to a nother player.

So i was set up good to go had my Edelmann accrount wich was now RF and had my cabana and told my self thats more money to spent i coould even been instead at knight but so be it.
    Than i saw the basments, and houses in the addon store. Well holy dark hole in my money pocked.
    First i thought na i have all what i need with my pledg level (and to be honest there was no reason at all to buy stuff in the addon store)
    After some of the houses (little blue row one) got sold out. i was little bit dissapointed cous i wanted that.
    So i grab 3 addonstore houses and 1-2 basments fromt he addonstore befor the got sold out. The price is kinda ok, but since most of them are 50% reduced, i would never have bought them for full price.
    Here is my complain, the addon store prices feel often little bit to high. But i understand, designing all that stuff takes time, and ress and money wich they need to get back.

Than i started my biggest project, my memorial graveyard, and after finishing the 13 lots, and how every one enjoyed the look of it, i got crazy. I upgraded to Lord to get my townlot, totaly commited me to the game, and than i was little bit shocked.
    I wasnt shocked about 1600 for Lord pledg and 580 i spent for the second edelmann or the rf i payed, it was over the last view month i had spent over 1000 dollers on the addon store and stretch goals.
    Remamber wenn i thought to my self iam not crazy i would never spent 3800 doller to get baron only to have a ship? Well i am on a good way to go there doller wise.

I dont spent my money with out thoughts i did it cous i liked/love the game and wanted to support it. I totally commited to shroud and instead of being a multigamer that switched games like shorts from day to day, i stopped all my other hobbys stopped buying other games for the most part and focused on shroud. for me the 3300 or more i spent on this game arnt wasted money, its more than buying a game its founding and support the team.
    Iam sick of big companys making **** games. Its like you see this delicous cake and you wanted it you wanted so bad, but than you take a bite and spit every thing out cous it taste like garbag.

When i tell frinds of this game, most where turnd off by the grafik and the combat. Last time a frind wich is realy critkel when it comes to grafika nd games, saw me playing shroud, he said wow that game realy improved.
    The combat .. mae i know there is lot going on at the moment, but let me tell you this they need to get combat realy well done, wy i will come to this point later.

So going on i told them how much i spent ( and i never done this for any game befor) and they said there not willign to spent so much money on this game.
    And i told them, they dont need to. So far every thing i bought i didnt realy had to bought in the first place.

Every player only needs a rawlot a 5 story basment and he has more space than he ever will need.

For my frinds when they start hopfully plaing with R1 i have my lord house my 5 story town basment with more enough place to fit in 15 players.

They only crit i have is for the addonstore and the pledglevels.
    I think some addon store items are ruff priced (and iam not talking for the price you sse when you come to the store page)
    When you take a cloeser look thats all reduced prices allready. If they would sell them to there full prices, wouldnt be shure if anybody would use the addon store.
    Pledglevel, well there are some realy realy usfull ones. Advneturer, Ancestor, Civ/Edelman and Lord.
    Than whe have all the knight stuff in between.
    But between adventurer and Ancestor there are some pledg levels i dont like. And on there own iam not sure worht to pick up compared to the other ones.

With the addonstore they try to get the monye to pay every and life.
    Oh Combat, with out a great cool interesting combat system it will be hard to sell them to a lot of peaple (special on steam) and trust me they devs need that peaple to get enought money to get to the green numbers and than have money for the later episods

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  12. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Mac R likes this.
  13. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Edward you are awesome! Thanks hon :)
    And I completely understand! Holy smokes, I've spent much more money on Shroud than I ever expected I would. The funny thing is I do it without a single pang of regret - and it's because I believe this is a very, very rare opportunity to be a part of something amazing.
    I only wish I had more money to spend on it!

14. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Couldn't have said it better myself, thats so true. :)

I'm glad I found this game and its awesome community

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is not necessary to invest loads of cash to enjoy SOTA.
    +1 :)

16. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I'm glad they put items in the store as I enjoy collecting this stuff and I know the money goes towards a good game. At the end of the day it really shouldn't matter if they offer items in the store or not as no one is forced to buy these things.
    Personally I want to see many more new and interesting items.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Why do so many people think 6.5 million USD are a lot of money uf it is about game developing? Its not.

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Because they said they needed only $1 million to make the game?
    Just because the game industry is so bloated is no excuse to encourage it

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah. But the standarts some people demand here need much more cash than 6.5 million.
    That has nothing to do with bloated. Stuff costs money. Thats just the way it is.

20. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Which is the definition of bloated. They have 6.5 times there asked for budget

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.