New player trying to understand combat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by orcscout, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

So help me get this straight. Is there any skill involved or just click and spam numbers?

Dewderonomy likes this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

There is lots... build a deck that deals the right cards to the right place so you can maximize potential... boost passive skills to benefit that deck... build an alternate deck to help evade the shortcomings of that deck while not requiring wasted passives... and execute that deck.

Also... stay tuned... lots of combat changes have come into effect over the last month and many more are planned for the next two months :)

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I'll let you know once the combat updates start going live in a couple weeks. Right now, everything is all over the place.

4. Julz

Julz Avatar

For me WoW combat is much more fun for that reason, timing and positioning really matters there and character movement feels smoother and more natural. Still early days in combat development though, I'm hopeful it gets more fun and makes you feel more engaged when new releases come out, but like you am disappointed so far.

A lot of attention has focused around cards or not cards, for me that is a trivial issue compared to the above. I want combat to be at least as fun, as natural and as engaging as WoW.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  5. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

I'm truly disappointed of such an archaic system. I sincerely hope they do something about this, as much as I loved UO I'm trying my hardest to enjoy the game but this combat makes me sick to my stomach.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    so what level are you now in game? How much have you played it? Maybe I could tag along and help.

7. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

I've always been able to master standard hotbar style combat games (like ArcheAge) in a matter of 10-20 minutes. This style of combat has a lot of planning that is involved. Planning as far as what glyphs you place in your deck, how many of each glyph you place into your deck, which slots you plan for those glyphs to come up in, what passives you build up to make the deck work, the skill you need to create combos by stacking glyphs with one hand while you maneuver with the other. . . there is a learning curve. . took me about 2 months to finally get a grip on it all. There is some randomness but the trick is harnessing it to work in favor of the skill trees you've built up. So yes, there is skill involved. Like Duke Violation stated, there are a lot of changes coming. It's evolved from what it was a couple of releases ago but all have been improvements. Once you learn how the combat system works here, honestly, for me personally, it makes every other game with the standard static hot bar feel like child's play.

8. TantX

TantX Avatar

You aren't alone, friend.

9. Julz

Julz Avatar

I don't think anyone has any issues with the strategy or variety available in the combat, that is exceptional I agree. The issue is it feels more like a turn based, stiff, chess like battle rather than feeling like you are a part of action where your timing and movement decisions really matter. World of Warcraft for all it's faults does a superb job of finding this balance between "arcade" and "chess". I hope it can be found in SOTA too.

10. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

adv lv 9, my name is Orc Scout, I've been playing for a few hours. Someone helped me out with gear, thank god, I wasn't able to kill anything before. I gotta admit that the community here is quite amazing. I'll keep giving it a shot, and hoping that they do something about it. I mean I already threw 45$ might as well.

Epona likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

WoW combat has been nerfed and simplyfied to death since its first incarnation. Mainly because of the melting down of skills and skilltrees. I never saw someone with that opinion about the latest incarnation of WoWs system so far.

12. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

I hope I never come across that feeling. I haven't so far. I just recently participated in a PVP 1vs1 event and my timing and movement decisions mattered greatly!

Bambino, Katrina Bekers and Epona like this.
  13. Julz

Julz Avatar

I haven't played it for a few years now so you may we'll be right. My comparison was to the old WoW combat system.

Atogrim likes this.
  14. Julz

Julz Avatar

I wasn't just refering to being quick or in range of course those are a given. WoW required you to be aware of cool downs and how many "outs" your opponent had. There were key times where you needed to interupt a combo or spell and then launch your own combos. The combos themselves required doing things in the right order at the right time not just dragging a glyph and then clicking it. It also had the flow and natural feel of a great arcade game which is missing in SOTA.

I love this game and know there is an urge to defend it in the face of critcism but it would be great if we could agree on the ideal state. How far we are towards that ideal will differ for everyone but hopefully we have a goal in common and can provide a consistent direction for the devs to aim for.

Atogrim likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah. That makes more sense ;-) if you ever get one of this test weeks, use it. You will understand my reaction.
    Well the first incarnation of WoWs combat system was nice. But it was the first of its kind ever and i think we are glorifying it for that reason.

Ninja edit:
    Dont get me wrong. I agree with you that the SotA system still has a way to go about combat.

Julz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.