Let's settle this once and for all. Card combat, Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by TheGrinch, Apr 14, 2015.

?

Do you like the card combat system in it's current state?

1. Yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

99 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No, it sucks more than a vaccum cleaner

170 vote(s)
    63.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I said it works well, not that it works better than anything, I wasn't making comparisons, just giving tips on how to use the current system.

2. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

A) the skill in the focus tree is called Mindfulness, Decreases the focus cost of your LOCKED GLYPHS. -25 LOCKED GLYPH FOCUS COST. It's an innate skill.

3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

If this scenario happened the dentist would use mind wipe and use "clean teeth" from his new full hand.

4. TantX

TantX Avatar

While the patient wonders why the hell his dentist looks like this every few seconds while he mind wipes:

[​IMG]

Assuming he got "Clean teeth" and not more "Bang dental assistant" (which he likely has max cards of). Yeah, I'm real impressed.

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Yes, you are QUITE right. I only need to spend another 17 talent points to get a partial reduction of my 50% cost increase from locking my glyphs! Well done, I feel SO much better knowing that I don't already have that one particular talent. That solves everything. Guys, let's all stop whining and play with locked decks.

OR...
    I actually use mind wipe myself, it TOTALLY doesn't make up for the mechanic you are using it to address. Mind wiping does NOT reliably bring up my desired abilities. It's just another round of "hope desperately and you might just randomly draw the ability that you know you need. Or not."

6. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I wish I had the answer, I really do...

What I like about the system: It's different.

What I don't like: Just about everything else.

7. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

The thing is, while we should be offering how to make advice on this system (if you can stand it), everyone should still be assessing "Is this our BEST option"? If the answer to the second question is "No." then we should make a decision on when we want to actually pursue a better option.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

YES. Although I've already shared that already. I don't need any further testing to know what I already know. Do you really think they might change it though? This is why I'm not posting anything anymore because I feel like I would just be wasting my ideas.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I just hope whatever we end up with in the end isn't the same ole' boring completely locked hot bar you see in games like ArcheAge, turning the game into a cool down timer based combat system. It's so dated now and excessively boring. . I feel like we're smarter than that. This is one of the first time's I've ever felt immersed in not only the game but the UI as well.

10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I deleted Shroud after the R18 postmortem with no intention of re-installing.

I have no confidence in Portalarium regarding combat.

And i still have no intention of re-installing. No complulsion at all.

11. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

So what is the way forward? The cries go unheeded.

Admittedly choosing what cards appear in what slot is definitely a step in the right direction however there seems over whelming distaste towards the current combat.

How many here are part of the combat scrum? How many knew about it and how many know how to get involved?

I think these things need to be addressed, currently it seems if you pledge over $1000, (and frankly anyone who backs a game is taking a risk on you and is supporting you which is not something to sneeze at, its a friggin honor. I got a Knight pledge plus a few addons and that is an exorbitant amount of money for this product) you get an inside ring while the rest of pledges are left high and dry. A tiered backing system is ludicrous. Your opinion is more valuable because you smashed him heaps of coin?

I think someone high up in the community who is in this "inner ring" steps up and voices these concerns. We need more people in the combat scrum, we have had plenty of people testing different things and passing on the information only to find out the top tier already knew about this and couldnt be bothered passing it down. So what is the point of alpha if only a fraction of the population feed back is taken into account?

We got some really good eggs in the shape of Envy, Themo Lock, The Hermit passing on their knowledge and information while we got others basking in the lime light without really doing anything to improve the community.

TLDR" We need more transparency, more community involvement and at least the illusion that the Devs want to hear from us. If not scrap the alpha make it open to only a few people (which is effectively what is happening now in regards to game direction) and maybe the bad perception of the game may change.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

flabberghasted....

13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Chris said he selected "people who had logged the most time with the combat system".

Meaning he selected those who already loved the combat - since nobody who hated the combat direction would have logged the most hours with it.

14. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Well how do you measure that? I spent friggin hours working on it with a couple of others on the Brave Coast. You were there too coz I remember giving you stuff and showing you my build (Dodgy Dan - back in R14? Not sure which one, but was when everyone was testing stuff out on Brave Coast). Ultimately you didnt like it but you gave it a red hot crack and stayed for at least one or two hours nutting it out. Hell there was a whole crowd of PvPers testing the bloody combat system. Out of them how many got an invite? Hell I havent seen many of them since except Violation and Net.

15. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hey Sn0tub, you've confused me with somebody else you met in game, I wasn't there. Nobody gave me anything in R14 :(

Its possible we met elsewhere in game though.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Truth is stranger than fiction... :/

17. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Exactly.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  18. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Yeah just checked my inbox it was Hamrick Stormblade. Sorry bud

19. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar