Should I jump ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zofo Beedlebrox, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zofo Beedlebrox

Zofo Beedlebrox Avatar

Hi

Been searching for a new game to involved in for ages - sick of hack and slash, rinse, repeat, etc

Ex eve online (I know sci fi but had great community) and Baldur's Gate player etc

Would you recommend signing up to a newbie ?

Zofo

2. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Welcome to the Shroud! Took me a while to get in. I only jumped in several weeks back. Best community I've ever been involved with. Lots of old Ultima, Ultima Online, and other veteran players. We have a ball!

PLEASE realize that the game still requires a lot of spit and polish. They're getting it ready for the full release later this year. That doesn't mean it's "unplayable". I've made it to level 60-ish so far, and never felt so good about killing Elves.

Jump in, the water is fine. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it. ANYONE and EVERYONE will help you out if you ask.

Good luck and welcome to New Britannia.

Regards,
    Lobo (Wesa Usdi in game)

smack, Leostemplar, kcfansbiv and 4 others like this.
  3. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

This game carries the pros of being way different quests, combats etc. Cons to some may be it does not have hack and slash(we have card based combat).
    Overall a good game. I was also tired of the hack and slash follow this arrow to next monster type of game.

smack, kcfansbiv, TRLobo and 2 others like this.
  4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Zofo Beedlebrox!

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This is still pre-alpha so unless you have any nostalgia goggles for Ultima then this isn't finished yet. Or if you are interested in software development and bug reporting.
    So I usually recommend people to wait until September-October something when we can see more of the core game get online.
    But if you are looking for less hand holding and a bit old scool RPG then it's all good. And coming from Eve the threshold should be a breeze in comparison.

I think a lot of the promised feature sets are a fantastic direction but we have yet to see some come alive like the crafting/vendors economy isn't in yet.

If you are still curious right now I picked up some discount benefactor $45 accounts way back when which I could sell for $30 in SotA gift coin credits.
    Since the SotA store right now have a 10for10 deal you could then get the game for $20.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=51246

Best of luck regardless.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If you decide to take the plunge you'll find plenty of people to show you the ropes and to do things with. Add me to your friend's list!

7. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Welcome and here's to hoping you find a home in SotA

kcfansbiv, Mata and TRLobo like this.
  8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I don't recommend it, if you're looking for a game to play.

This is nowhere near finished, and if you expect to jump in and find an adventure, refined mechanics, working systems, a clear goal, etc., you'll be sorely disappointed.

However, you come from EVE (like me), and you're used to set your own goal. If among your goals is to help developers find the best direction for what MIGHT become one of the most compelling game systems ever, then you MIGHT be onto something.

Other comparisons with my favorite game (EVE): imagine if you can only pilot frigs and destroyers, but without midslots, and cruisers are in beta and someday battlecruisers and battleships will be announced. Stargates work, but market is totally unbalanced. You can form a corporation, but you can't set up offices nor towers nor claim sovereignty (which has been promised, maybe in a future release). And all the graphics are taken from an opensource space simulator. This is SotA right now.

I try to scare you for your own sake, but on the pros' side there's a wonderful community (think EVE University or Brave Inc.) filling with player-driven content the obvious lack of game-provided content, and is among the most welcoming bunch of deeply invested and passional people this industry has to offer.

If you're looking for a drawing board to contribute to, then welcome, take a seat and enjoy your ride.

o7m8

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If a random person on the internet tells you to jump do you do it? [/philosoraptor]

Absolutely.

Just tip me $10 once you've done it. :D

kcfansbiv likes this.
  10. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Great synopsis/recommendation with the slight disagreement of your opening statement. With over 100 hours already in, I can say that without even trying to consume any significant content, I've never stopped simply playing the game.

To your point, however, it all depends on what you're looking for...

11. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

I will count this as my first real MMORPG. I bought Guild Wars 2 before this a long while back, but I have many more hours on this "Pre Alpha" than I do GW2. As all have said before, it depends on what you are looking for. I can say that I have enjoyed my time with this, and I will be happy to play the full version when all the wipes are done. Right now, I have been mainly just logging in for the hat's that are offered every release. I have tinkered around with housing decorations just a tad, and dabbled very little into crafting. I also give it some time to see how the game has changed. Just don't go in expecting a finished product. Honestly, though, it is hard to recommend for the casual gamer. There are only two people that I know(in person) that I would recommend this to.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Azor Ahai

Azor Ahai Avatar

Wait, unless you are really interested to see what portalarium has been up to (doesn't seem to be too much at this point).

13. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

As someone who has spent a good bit on this game and has high hopes for it. In it's current state, I couldn't recommend it to even my friends and family to buy it. I would wait until it's a bit more complete to decide.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

HA! NOOB! :D

I'm at ~550, and yes, I know damn well I had and keep having a lot of fun "playing" this "game".

But for the sake of everything sacred, please, consider my double quotes. This is not (yet) a game, and this is not (yet) playing, even if we had tons of excitement, fun, awe and relax doing what we do in the lands of New Britannia.

Also, keep in mind that what is incredibly addictive and fun for us diehard rose-glassed fanboys, may be annoying at best for someone with less patience and more "mainstream" expectations.

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate, or be objective. The game is not ready. It's not even a game, at this point. But what it *is*, can be hilariously compelling and captivating. YMMV (rather, HIS mileage may vary!).
    Yeah, basically that covers every base.

What our friend is looking for? A complete, finished, enjoyable videogame? Look elsewhere.

A fantastic project to be part of and keep for the (very) long run? You may have found it.

Miracle Dragon, majoria70 and Mastese like this.
  15. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Welcome ,,,,,, Its already worth more than the entry level pledge cost.

16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Welcome! Even in its current state there is tons of game play and lots of community events that make this game worth buying into. Of course that's my own subjective opinion as I obviously cannot speak for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  17. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Touché! Much respect Katrina!

Royce_Templer and Katrina Bekers like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

HI and welcome Zofo Beedlebrox to the Shroud of the Avatar community. I also can agree with many of the above sentiments, although really it would depend on you. I have been here since Nov 2013 and watched the game grow and also lull at times as in ZZZzzzzz's. For me I am happy to have had this adventure. I am a first time kickstarter participant, never having been involved in a game development from the bottom up. It is fun for me to see what each new release brings. Some are more interesting than others. Lately they have been very interesting with the engine upgrade, new trees and a better look, and astronomy showing on the map with planets that will mean something and effect the world.

Questing at this time is limited, but there are a few to be found in major cities and only found by talking with NPCs who tell you their woes and send you off to discover the solution for them. No quest markers, just a journal notating perhaps what was said. So more depth and richness to quests as we go along. Story and roleplay will be very prevalent in this game. I always type NAME when I talk to an NPC so their name will show above there head otherwise you only know perhaps that they are a guard or a peasant, or a merchant etc. The NPCs will be smart and know who you are once they have spoken with you and found out your name, right now sometimes they are not even though they try really hard to understand you. We will have tools to create our own quests via books and parchment that we'll be able to write in/type in really that is.

As we've gone along the community has found amazing ways to entertain themselves while testing out new systems to the max as in mazes they create, games they create such as human gustball, where a player ends up being the ball and the spell gust will push them to the goal. Now the developers were impressed with this and created an actual gustball that will go in the next release. Also while creating mazes it was found that the cabinets that were stacked high to the sky were actually causing a lot of lag and so hedges got created. So we definitely have a chance to affect the world that is getting created. We have the best developers. They have just created a cache that looks similar to the UO chests that is specifically to have on your property for friends and others to put a note in for you, or they can be used for creating a quest system. Someone can put somthing in them just not take anything out or as to the actual end product of permission, I'm not sure how it will unfold after we test it out in the next release. That is the way it goes. We see how it works and if it needs adjusted then that is why we are here with feedback for developers.

The game will have fishing, crafting, housing, gardening, taming, dragons, zombies, and much more. Some things won't make it into the first of five epsisodes, but there will also be boating, pack animals, vendors you can have at your house, and treasure hunting has been mentioned. Also intereactive items are definitely coming in. Richard says if it looks like it does something then it will. Also hand held items will make it in also, such as a bouquet of flowers and who knows what else. You can aready hold a mug and drink and toast to someone. So there is too much to explain and much is not apparent from just running into the game and not knowing what to do. Introducing yourself is the first step and being willing to jump in and let others show you around is also a great help so you can then journey forward, create your own community events, play with the system, all the while testing out the system and giving your feedback to how better things might be.

Also if you like PVP you may flag pvp anytime any place and will be able to pvp with others who are flagged, not full loot, except perhaps later in some areas. There are player owned towns , some will be pvp. And we will have the virtue system and oracle who will keep track of your virtuous or non virtuous self. It is not fully implemented but will effect how the world interacts with you. Quests also should have multiple ways to complete once they are fully implemented to affect your virtue rating negatively or possitively.

Ok sorry to go on and on, but hopefully that gives you a picture beyond a picture. It is merely something to go by to see if this something you may want to jump in on.;)

ok **edited** out typos oops

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  19. TantX

TantX Avatar

Buyer beware on this one.

I would watch videos of the combat and review it critically. There have been recent changes that make it better than what it was before, but it's still pretty divisive. A lot of backers have dropped the game already because of it. There aren't many reviews for this game out there in 2015, but any you find will have a well-deserved battle in the comments section over some significant issues that remain important, particularly combat and the deck system.

Since you cited EVE, I would warn you this isn't going to be that open world/universe feel that either EVE or UO had. This is a series of small instances linked together, and the community is, by far, satisfied with single-player oriented questing and dancing on tables at taverns. Sprinkle some tournaments in someone's basement and that's the extent this community will go, if not for the players than the mechanics alone.

However, if that's the sort of thing that you like, jump on in. What little it does, it does well enough, although arguably you could get more out of SecondLife or a similar game, like The SIMs. But if you're looking for a UO- or EVE-like game, I'd wait until release to see what it is you'll get, unless you want to throw down some moolah on supporting this venture for giggles.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.