MMO/UO Vet.. Is the combat going to scare me away from SOTA?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Asan Drakus, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asan Drakus

Asan Drakus Avatar

I am first and foremost a pvper.. But I love all the trammel **** like house building and decorating, min/maxing skills etc etc.. But as I watch videos of post-18 combat...

Combat looks clunky, slow, and boring. Reminds me of tab targeting faceroll combat of every other 3d-esque MMO to come out in the past 10 years. Am I missing something?

Is there anything about this combat system that sets it apart from 90% of the MMO's currently in the market? I don't mean the card system.. I get that... but I mean the actual combat itself. I know it is alpha state, but the basic features are there and it is pretty easy to see what combat will look like when polished. But is there something huge that is not in the game at this point?

I really want to like this game. Truly. I played UO beta and I've played (and administered) a ton of UO player shards.. so I am a huge Garriot and Ultima series fan. But I can't help but wonder..

Is combat an afterthought of this game? Or a primary feature? Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time and your response.

I won't feed the trolls ;-)

Weave, Murdock, Duke Andaluz and 4 others like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Welcome......

And lots of focus on combat and PvP atm. It is currently not balanced well but this is improving over time. The combat system itself can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be; certainly worth a go imho.

Ice Queen, Albus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Hey there. I'm also a huge fan of RG's previous work, but to answer your question honestly, yes - combat does feel sort of like an afterthought at this point... It SHOULD get a lot better by beta, but hopefully that's not just wishful thinking on my part (and others).

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Asan Drakus and welcome to Shrouds. Where is that picture from, I mean which game? I can't wait for more wearables in this game. More coming and dye should be in R19 to dye our wearables. I agree combat feels clunky right now. As mentioned they are working on it, so we shall see. There are PVP events going on so watch for them and if you need help setting up skills etc, you will find a lot of support in this community. I am majoria in game, while I am not much for pvp, I am a fan of it being great. Also many I call friends are mainly PVP players who will hopefully protect me someday if needed;) So otherwise if you would like help or have questions feel free to PM me here or whisper me in the game. Use the 'f'' key for friends. Right click characters to see options, and right click a friended name to see options also. Use the 'o' key to see the emotes. You can also zone to another player for example /zone majoria. It has a timer and is not usable freely but it helps for the moment. Also no worries, you are not seeing much of the game right now since much is not fully implemented as in combat, crafting, virtue system is not all in yet (see the oracle to hear some of what she says), questing and quest features lacking right now, but should have multiple ways to complete as in UO or some will at least, also NPCs will get more intelligent, it is said some may follow if appropriate, they will have schedules, remember who you are, they do that now if you say my name is???, also ask them their name so it shows above there head. Fishing will begin to be implemented in R20 they say. Also not all items have their proper interactivity, but they will. There's still a lot of work to do, so join in on the fun. You may like gustball, it is a very popular player created game that the developers liked so well they actually created a ball to use instead of another player. (fyi we have a skill called 'gust' that is used). So jump in and enjoy what is there and let us show you since it is not always apparent at first look of what is available to do at this point in development. We've also had human chess games, well since we have a giant chessboard in the game. **cheers**:)

**eidited** Edited again...correction fishing moved to R22***

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Ice Queen and NaomiLin like this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Asan Drakus!

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. TantX

TantX Avatar

Annnnnd that's all you need to say. Answer: No. There's a reason the PvP community on this game comprises 10 people. Outside of flavor-of-the-release duelists and some boring tournaments in some guy's overpriced basement, you can look forward to sitting in Shardfalls dying a natural death.

You need to read some threads here about card combat. You'll note that over time, the same voices defend it for over a year, and those who speak out against it become quieter and quieter as they leave and go elsewhere. If you want to play a watered-down The SIMS or SecondLife with an Ultima aftertaste, this very well may be your dream game. Otherwise, if/when this game releases in Q1 or Q2 of 2016, there'll be so many other games out there that will be more to your liking that you'll likely forget about this one before long.

Montaberne, Ice Queen, sn0tub and 5 others like this.
  7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

This from the most prolific opponent of the current combat system.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Excuse me??! That title is contested, sirrah, and at current poll it may be contested by as much as 61% of the responders on this forum.

There is nothing wrong with expressing his opinion, and your post suggests that somehow he is wrong and his post suspect BECAUSE he believes as he does? So the only opinions that matter or deserve to be expressed are the ones that you approve of then?

9. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Ahem.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

PVP combat sucks at the moment, unless your a mage then you can dominate, no one PVPing right now is 100% melee, If your a melee and you attack a mage he takes about as much damage as you do being plated, serious unbalance here atm! If im hauling a two handed mace and i clobber someone in cloth they should cripple to the ground, wearing my armor should also have natural defenses against magic (which they dont!) So mages in general will just burn freeze or electrocute you to death or just suck your life out. So PVP is crap at the moment, they say they are working on it and well see, in the long run. To sum it up PVP is boring unless all you want to do it be the best PVPr around (and a mage). Personally i dont care whether im the best or not, but if i kill you i should be able to take as much as i can carry (which they flat out said wont happen in this game) they will tell you what you can take. 1 sword (crap) 100 gp (crap), a few regs (crap) or you can ransom items (for a price they game designers set, not you) So the out look on PVP is very bleak for now. Hopefully they will get it all squared away!

Ice Queen and Deathblow like this.
  11. Grogoth83

Grogoth83 Avatar

Welcome Asan Drakus!SOTA have a great potential,coz the main thing(community) is awesome,but sadly the combat is not that good( i personaly hate the skill system).The pvp is meh.... so if you are looking for the next UO (like me) this is not it .

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. Xail

Xail Avatar

LoL

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Good luck with that.

Ice Queen and Logain like this.
  14. Albus

Albus Avatar

Hello and welcome :) On the combat side, it is a difficult time to assess in that the devs have recently begun an avowed focus on the combat system, so potentially it could be seeing a lot of change now - I'm not sure what is going to happen with it. The card combat itself is somewhat novel, to do well you plan out your own "deck" of moves and they turn up randomly so you adjust on the fly and/or hold back moves until you have a stack of them to unleash for maximum impact; but again, not sure how much this will change with a new focus on combat develepment at this point.

My personal bias, especially regarding pvp, is a strong distate for "heal-in-combat" focused pvp, i.e., you line up a target and slash them upside and downside yet they just "heal" it all up *while you are hacking them*. Healing is pretty powerful in the game at the moment, not sure that will be toned down much (it never was in may other mmorpg's with such a "feature") so if too much of healing bothers you also, that may be a problem... But again, combat is in flux right now with a major focus on addressing it, so hard to say right now. As others have mentioned, virtually naked fiery spell casters with backup healing focus clearly dominate at the moment, with pvp in heavy armour equivalent to suicide, but balancing is yet to come, so who can say where that will go. I'll probably not have interest in pvp so long as healing in combat draws fights out, personally - you'll probably get better advice from pvp'ers without my bias really, unless you happen to share it :)

Overall though I'm pretty optimistic about the game, but I'm assuming I'll be getting my roleplay/crafting/housing gaming here, and pvp elsewhere (unless the healing thing changes - I'd love to get the thrust of all my favoured game modes just here if possible, including pvp!). I enjoy the game, respect the team, enjoy the community, like what changes we have seen so far, but you did mention pvp and combat as key factors in your interests and I'm not sure where those are going really. I will say that card combat is much more interesting than most mmo (Everquest/wow'ish) pushbutton static hotbar combat, at least to me at this point, so it does differentiate itself from that at this point, at least.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Pls tell me wy this game must be the next UO to exist and what makes a game for your the next UO?

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I know one don't answer questions with another question but....don't you think the similarities are striking?

17. Xail

Xail Avatar

U made 2 questions:

1: This game must not be the next UO BUT of course having being promoted as such the expectations are that it will be...(..than it is not that it must...but if he will not the backers will be upset...)
    2:For me the next UO is a game like UO in terms of basic structure but implemented better

However let me tell you this straight...in my opinion this kind of questions give nothing to the thread and are just a tool to go out of topic...

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

No i asked cos i never played any ultima i played other rpgs back in the day so iam interrested in what makes a ultima game a ultima game

19. Xail

Xail Avatar

I'm not a gamer...so I can not compare to a lot of other games...but the PVP and also non PVP dynamics between players were a huge factor...there wwew always something unpredictable that popped out...I remember for example when a thief guild was able after several days of planning to steal with an extremely smart plan some stuff to a friend of mine...my friend of course was not a cry baby and also complimented them for the plan and the execution...

The thief guild was also full of gentlemen and they give back the stolen stuff but it was of course not a necessity and not a due...

That was just an example...the unpredictable PVP also was huge...and the looting factor also a great incentive...too much fun...

20. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Howdy Asan!

Nice pic! ArcheAge perhaps?

We are still in Pre-Alpha, so there will be lots of changes still. The next update (which will be put in this week) will concentrate a lot on combat. So most likely some of what is needed will be in this update. Check back after Thursday and see what the chatter is then. :)

*Wanders back to her forge to wait for Dev love*

Unity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.