“About half our player base is more interested in playing through the story than playing online!”

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I will tell you what i agree on: at no point i said something that even remotly sounded liek what you just said i said.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Then I misunderstood you and apologize for that.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I've invested quite a lot in the game already, because the pledge rewards and add-ons are shiny and I'm a mug :rolleyes: and mostly because I was excited about the idea of a 'spiritual successor to Ultima'. I've been playing UO since the early days but it hasn't felt like Ultima for years. In fairness, neither does SotA so far but I fully expect the story will make that jump.

And even though I log in to multiplayer mode almost always, I usually end up running around by myself, playing a single-player game where I occasionally run past other players - I'm quite happy paying far too much for a single player game with a multiplayer option ;)

Ravicus Domdred, Numa, Svahn and 3 others like this.
  5. Albus

Albus Avatar

I want it all! Not to quote Ephialtes from 300, but I am here for the whole package. Sometimes you just want to explore alone, but it's nice to be able to exchange tales with others, or hawk your crafted or looted goods in trade, visit the decorated estates of others, or even pvp. I think a strong background in the offline version (eager to see more of that lore :D) will spill over into good things for the online multiplayer version also :)

6. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I think this discussion is really about 2 things:
    1. Ultima singleplayer series fans beeing worried that the game will have too much grinding and shallow story that is dull and open ended due to concentrating on multiplayer aspects.
    2. UO fans beeing worried that instead of getting a worthy UO successor they will get something more like simple co-op in a singleplayer game.

Personally I think their original plan was to make this co-op singleplayer game but it evolved into making it both games at once. I think they will succeed at that. UO was soooooo sandboxy that they only need to "open" the world they had in mind in the first place.

Also as some of you noticed - the data is not exact due to many factors. I myself started out by playing in singleplayer mode to get a hang of everything so I won't feel like an idiot the first time I go multiplayer :)

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is still going on....I haven't been here in awhile....so this is a bit disappointing.

I'm not even sure what tone Lum was talking about....was it the original posters?

I have no idea.

I haven't even logged onto the game in awhile, I figured I would give it time to evolve a bit more.

I have a house level pledge and I am primarily a single player, so take it for what you will....

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, I think they always wanted to make it both games at once. Back when RG released Ultimate Collector he was talking about how the third generation of games would be social games like on Facebook, and everyone assumed he meant that he was going to turn Ultima into a Facebook app. But this is always what he meant -- Selective Multiplayer. Everyone is connected together as much as it makes sense for them to be.

I'm not worried too much about the story.

I am worried a bit about the grinding. Mainly because it feels like some portion of the MMO-only base seems to like the combat and gathering grindy. Many seem to want to be able to go around killing monsters as they respawn, easily loot everything, never worry about encumbrance, travelling, or any other thing else; they just want it to be as quick to level up and earn gold as quick as possible.

Personally, there, I think that just like the goal is to get PvE people to enjoy PvP for its own sake, the goal should also be to get PvP people to enjoy PvE for its own sake : make adventuring and combat like it would be in a single player game, where 'PvE' is actually fun.

I'm also worried about NPC towns geared too much for multiplayer and not being developed enough to be interesting from a single player perspective. When schedules come in, will we have more NPC buildings?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Ravicus Domdred and Vaentorian like this.
  9. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

My original pledge was because of the promised Ultima 7 style SP story line. From following the progress, I'm excited in how the MMO game mechanisms like the complex crafting system provide a deeper experience which I think will benefit SP. I read Blade of the Avatar and find that strong enough evidence that the story will be significant and well crafted. I hope they keep the plot elements out of the alpha versions so I don't run into spoilers. Maybe I'm just trusting but I'm pretty confident that we'll get something awesome.

Though, I've also gotten more into the MMO aspect and now plan to play online. My only regret is I work too much so when it does come out I probably won't be able to put in as many hours as I would like!

10. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Why? Skyrim, a completely single-player game, has made a killing with DLC. Do you think only MMO players would like the water cloak? No, I'm sure single-player water mages would like it too. As for housing? Who wouldn't want a tax-free house in single-player? It's primarily why I pledged high enough to get a lot in the first place. Even if they don't end up buying lots with real money, they might still want add-on houses if they like them. Believe it or not, single-player people like to have a base of operations.

The only thing you a single-player only gamer won't buy are player-owned towns but hey a very small portion of MMO gamers are going to own towns anyway.

11. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

What? You bought the online tax free lot for single player purposes? Base of operations? Sorry, but, when I'm playing a single player game (Ultima VII) I kicked out whatever NPC lived there and took over their house, looted from stores, robbed from houses all the cool stuff I wanted and decorated for free. You too can do the same if you plan on playing single player. I literally can't understand paying the cost for a tax free lot only to use it for single player mode, but to each his own.

Atogrim likes this.
  12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I didn't want to use in-game gold to keep up the lot! Sounded like a lot of work. And kill the NPC and take over their house? I would never do that! That's not virtuous behavior!

I'll be using the tax-free lots now on both sides of the game: offline and online.

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Why? The stats heavily suggest that. Most of the money came from home owners: so Citizen and above. I can't prove their intentions but neither can you.

Many of the POT owners are also high pledge backers, so yes they are a small percentage by number but far above average in terms of dollar value.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

In the end it is not important why you pledged. It's important that you pledged at all to make this game happen.

Ravicus Domdred and Vaentorian like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I originally bought the game hoping for something like Ultima 7, i just happen to also like MMO style games and made enough friends here that i switched my preferred game mode. Also, i spend roughly half my time in single player online for the simple fact that i need an ENTIRE zone to myself to reach maximum efficiency with levelling and gathering .. so there is that to consider.

Atogrim likes this.
  16. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

By your own admission because you can't prove the intentions of the high backers (and I think at least a fair share amount of them backed the game for the single-player experience-I'm one of them) then the stats you are pointing to don't prove that the MMO players are somehow more lucrative.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not sure one way or the other, but I and 3 other people backed it to get some of the UO experience well or lots of it perhaps. I like offline games but they are only temporary to me. I am looking for a game with longevity. A game that will hold my interest for more than a few months. Whatever it takes for that is what I want for this game. It won't be one thing or another, it will be a combination of things and details at the top of the list as very much present. Such as: Will my character react to the environment and show it, will the world be interesting and hold many, and I mean many mysteries and wonders, will the stories told and guest to do be rich and surprising in outcome and many times challenging to resolve, will the world have great atmosphere and sounds that delight and feel appropriate for the action, is the world interactive as Richard says it will be as his statement "If it looks like it can do something it will", will this game stretch the limit of what is possible with how much we can do as in details again dancing, interacting, player tools to go to new heights and creativity, will each new system be embelished with details that make it special; such as in fishing up the random message in a bottles for quests and much more with treasure hunting also galore? So just to mention a few of my deepest wishes along with the wonderful story being implemented. I believe we are bare bones getting systems in, the final touch ups will add the extras. I do have to go with that since that is what will make this game. Going into my gorgeous house in EQ2 with all my gorgeous things that were fun to acquire but with their lack of doing anything, sleds and reindeers I can't use or ride in and so much more. I want more from this game.:)

18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Ah so you claimed to use the lot for single player, but now I see you admit it's for online! I didn't say anything about killing any NPCs, I said kick them out, they knock on the door but I changed the locks. If they get back in I block em with crates. If they teleport in I call the guards, possession is nine tenths of the law.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

[​IMG]

20. selbie

selbie Avatar

Just like Elder Scrolls, Ultima is first and foremost a single player experience for me. If I play that within a multiplayer game, sure that's fine, but I won't be deeply involved with any social events until I've experienced the lore of the world.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.