I feel like i'm playing "just another mmo-rpg"

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by hawk91013, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk91013

hawk91013 Avatar

Please please please don't misunderstand from the title. There are many things about this game that isn't like another mmo, but I'm not doing a lot of that. I love crafting but for me to craft I need to go into areas that have monsters, kill the monsters so I can gather. Housing, I love looking at the houses and how some decorate but I have just gotten to 1/4 of the amount needed to buy a property deed and house. So once again I need to go out kill mobs, loot mobs, and hit resource nodes. I love Lord British's first ground breaking and in my opinion still one of a kind game. I hate the idea of doing everything with the same character, the skills system and leveling is soo over used and generic. I still boast to new people how the uo system worked for skill building as opposed to putting 1 skill point here or there. The higher your swordsmanship, archery, mace fighting, fencing the better you were with it (high rng chance to make a hit) Tactics based on how much damage each successful hit struck. Anatomy increased your damage per hit, and the amount you healed when using healing. Healing increased the rng chance to successfully bandage. Those were the 4 basic skills used for a fighter of some kind. You did not need to worry what skill points needed to be put where, what would help what wouldn't. The skill point system is much more complicated (don't get me wrong because I am good at building templates and suits. In UO at least. So I am no newb to reading and learning about skills.) The systems are just too complicated for over all public players. Several times I've helped out other party members with their skills system on their preferred style of play. I feel like some systems in the game are just "keep it simple stupid" yet others are overly complicated. The resource gathering node system is my biggest pet peeve so far, from what I read it will be here to stay so I will live with it. As to actually pledging any money past the 45 dollars as of right now, that I can't see. It feels like just another mmo, not something that people will talk about almost 20 years later.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That all may be so but hardly anything is finished, let along balanced. There's a long way to go until release and once we're there and the player economy is in full swing you shouldn't need to go out gathering at all if you're willing to pay other players to do it for you. :)

The current skill structure is necessary for the glyph system.. but I did at one point come up with a way to incorporate skill XP to make it a hybrid system. I don't expect it but it would be nice. :)

Ravicus Domdred and iansmellios like this.
  3. hawk91013

hawk91013 Avatar

Yes but the way the current system is setup, I can use my warrior skills go out level that up while still leveling my crafting side while gathering and skinning. Yes Bowen I understand the game is still far from true release but that's why these comments need to be made now while we are still at that point. I understand a lot of the draw backs why they want to keep character slots limited, why they want to keep server side data to a minimum because it is a FTP setup. I am not bashing the game, like I said I love a lot of things in the game. The graphics (this includes the spectacular detail to the toons, the gorgeous scenery to every new instance, every pixel of decoration) , the official player towns, the depth to the crafting.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  4. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

jeeesus, structure the text, its like radio interference :) i dont even know what are you writing about :p

Arctis Stormbringer likes this.
  5. Borg

Borg Avatar

Skill and combat system again............o_O

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The Devs are not going to show us all the secrets, we just have to find our own fun right now. All the depth of the game is not in yet. Yes and I agree right now a lot of it feels generic or lacking and some things over complicated and some way too simplified and missing depth. I really think this is the proccess we have to go through at this point. We suffer sometimes for the good of the game and also to know what is worse and what is better and to contribute to that happening with our feedback and endurance in being here. Ive been here since Nov 2013 with way over $45 contributed and gladly. I don't say that to throw anything in anyones face, I just believe in what will be accomplished and also in the teams willingness to make things happen. We have seen so much happen and much more is coming.:) I am not ok with a lot of things at this point, but I have the thought embedded in me that it is just because they are not feature complete until they say they are is as stated by the Devs. It is also up to you to contribute as little and as much as you can or like for whatever reason. It is all good. :) **cheers**

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

I think that after decades of playing RPGs that the very best games, and UO really pointed the way on how to accomplish realism online, are the games that seamlessly integrated all of it's various systems in a way that added to immersion and belief in the world by having those systems out of the way and mostly invisible.

This allowed players to simply experience the world- which is the point of any game of this genre.

Areas where UO was superior to the current incarnation of Shroud of the Avatar mostly happen when the behind the-scene systems get in your face are screw up belief in the world.

Even though UO is an ancient computer game, it still trumps most of todays games in offering elegant, natural systems in presenting the world.

The combat system never forced you out of the "fantasy world". You could customize it so that the combat icon were wherever the heck you wanted to place them, and fiddling with your skills/setting up combat all could happen before any fighting occurred. No looking away to a toolbar because something important was occurring there- and this is a huge, devastating point that can ruin immersion.

By forcing focus on the existence of the "card deck" and requiring the player to deal with it separately during important gameplay, the combat system drains the most compelling aspects of any RPG- the roleplaying itself, by the system's very nature.

Another area UO felt tremendously more "real" was in the way there were none of the artificial, inferior WOW constraints of "instances". It may be convenient for developers, but it is vastly less realistic, and quite immersion shattering for players.

Many younger players have never experienced an online game like UO, where, anyone can march out to a monster inhabited swamp, start fighting a nasty wyvern, and then flee, and have it actually follow you across the map, scattering adventurers as it comes, all the way to town.

While it is a simple thing, having the monsters potentially "exist" for anyone at anytime adds a huge amount of believability and solidarity to the feel of any game world.

It adds a feeling that the unexpected can happen, that chaos exists- not the predictable, controlled, exactly the same knowledge that you can run from a monster, sure to escape, into another zone- because he doesn't really exist, and nothing "really matters".

UO was an incredible game, in many ways some other games like ArcheAge have only just reached the point where boundaries are starting to lift, and the gameworld feels as real as it did back in the 1990s.

But, really, there is no reason for cumbersome, highly obvious and immersive breaking combat systems.

I understand the financial need for crappy instances and traveling maps and can abide them.

But, pointless contraptions like the combat deck, which take away the immersion when you really need it most, at the high point of excitement, in favor of abstracted card drawing instead of combating monsters straightaway, really breaks my interest in this game, and does not live up to the pedigree in which Shroud of the Avatar follows.

ryan62383 and Lord Soliwilos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.