Grinding for gold in R19

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaze Barkley (RedDeer), Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Okay, as we all know those deeds and houses are quite expensive. I was searching for some good spots that would let me earn gold faster, but I noticed that currently there is no "better place" to grind. I would even dare to say that you earn more in low-level areas because you get the loot and resources faster. I know that grinding should be discouraged but with the current prices of training and deeds it's somewhat necessary.

The thing that surprised me the most however, was that some quests that let you earn more gold were removed. Ectoplasmic residue is no longer accepted in owls head (they tell you to just sell it to merchants for standard price), same case with the special gems from graff mines, and the price of iron in Soletown is same as in other places. Why did they do that? You can't balance the profit by making it the same everywhere. It takes away the reward from going through tougher places and actually doing the quests that were given to you. Whats the point of giving me a quest to collect some items from monsters just to tell me "great job, just sell them as you would without this quest anyway".

*sigh*

May I ask you fellow avatars for some tips for earning gold in R19? I hear some vendors pay more for certain items? Is that still a thing or did they remove it as well? Where should I look to find them? Are there any other/better ways?

Rhudaur, Ethereal Llama and JDGamers like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe we have sadistic developers that like to see how hard they can make things before we start crying Uncle?
    :D

(Maybe they're testing our reactions too as we are testing the things that they put into place.)

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So far, the best gold machine that I've found is simply mining in the Spectral Mines. Go in, dispatch the few skeletons, mine all the nodes, press escape, click exit to menu, click play, repeat.

4. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

That's pretty much how my hubby earns his gold. Except he fills up first before he exits. :)

Rhudaur likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I made Bark bread to sell. It makes 8 of them and I also heard that the bartenders buy it for more. Just a thought. I haven't tried to earn too much cash. I usually give it away when I get it to new people to help them get a deed. I would be happy to help. Im almost to 6k again and I already have a house, plus I have a few spareshouses not deeds if you want, then you could just get the land deed. :)

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, that's the exit to menu and then click play part. It resets the mine for another pass.

Rhudaur likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's another good option. Eight bark bread is worth 200 gold.

Rhudaur and majoria70 like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Bark bread is indeed a good source of gold. I always sell it to the innkeeper in Ardoris (in the square where the large statue is). The only drawback is that you need a good supply of tree bark to make it worthwhile.

Many players still kill elves in Greymark Forest (in the Hidden Vale) and sell the loot in Owl's Head. My personal favorite place is South Ravenswood. When you enter the wood, go through the woods to the left past a couple of wolves and you will find an archway which leads to an area full of skeleton archers and mages that respawn over and over. There are also resources in that area (ore, wood, Nightshade and garlic). The ore and wood sometimes drop rares (tin, sooty bark and tree bark for the bark bread). The advantage of the skeleton archers is that their bows weigh only 2 (pounds?), and are worth 200 g. It is a better deal than selling 4 pound elf swords worth 130 gold, because you can carry more of the bows, and the skeletons also drop ectoplasmic residue that you can sell for 30 g apiece.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  9. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I've been making bark bread as well. When I sell it at the tavern in Owl's Head I make sure to kill all the sheep along the way, then I buy some wooden plates from the barkeep to make mutton meat and crackling and oil. If you sell it back to the tavern, the profit is about 23 gold per sheep. There's usually 7 sheep, so that's an easy 160 gold on top of the bread money, and really fast too, if you use the crafting stations at Darkblade's place right across the street.

Rhudaur and Edward Newgate like this.
  10. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Bark bread might be a good idea :) I also sold some stuff on the player market which made me save up 20k (mostly copper ore and saute or whatever you call it - the stuff that sometimes drops from animals)

Rhudaur likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

You mean suet. Suet is needed to make Fustian cloth and, I think, supple leather, both important ingredients for crafting light armor.

Rhudaur likes this.
  12. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Yes that's the one. I always prefer to avoid damage so spider carpace is better option for me anyway :)

Rhudaur likes this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, I sold 100 zinc for 10k and 100 tungston for 10k pretty much any of the merchants will pay that, some of the "borers" sell for that too, but don't drop as often...

Rhudaur likes this.
  14. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

Excuse me but where is the spectral mines? been trying to find it long time.

Thanks

Rhudaur likes this.
  15. Thorin Strongarm

Thorin Strongarm Avatar

Alsp general question, how to you go about "finding" new recipes to craft? IE this brak bread

Rhudaur likes this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Thorin Strongarm: There are two videos which will show you how to get to the Spectral Mines, because in R18 the Spectral Mine was a location to complete the hat quest.

Video by TheMadHermit (overland)

Video by Envyco Gaming (sewer access)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Rhudaur and TheMadHermit like this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There are several ways, e.g.:
    1. Buy a recipe from a recipe vendor. There are some in Peddlar's Row in Owl's Head
    2. Ask someone (if I recall correctly, for bark bread you need tree bark, yeast culture and flour and a cooking station)
    3. A good source is Sotawiki (e.g. http://sotawiki.net/sota/Blacksmithing_recipes)

Edit: A good tip: before the next wipe, make screenshots of your recipe book pages, so you will still know all the recipes you learned in the current release

Rhudaur likes this.
  18. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

This is how I finally found the Spectral Mines. Sir Frank made it to help with the last Grand Tour.
    [​IMG]

Rhudaur, TheMadHermit and Mata like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The best way to get to the Spectral Mines is through the Soltown sewers. The Envyco video above shows how.

Rhudaur and margaritte like this.
  20. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I knew there was probably an easier way! I need to explore those sewers. You get there through that little graveyard somehow? *puts on adventuring gear*

Rhudaur and TheMadHermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.