[Linux] Serious performance issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huw, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huw

huw Avatar

Hi

When in a town the framerate is unbelievably low on my system, despite meeting the recommended requirements and having all graphics options turned down to minimum. Is there anything I can do about it? Here are my systems specs (and I'm willing to email anything to the developers):

Linux Mint 64-bit
    AMD A8-6600K quad-core at 4.2GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Radeon HD8570D

I play via Steam. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I run manjaro and the last couple of releases have been pretty good for me. is your performance issue just since the new release?

3. huw

huw Avatar

I joined at R18 and it's just as bad in R19.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are you using the proprietary AMD drivers or the Nouveau drivers?

5. Alley Oop

nouveau is nvidia only. don't know what the open-source amd driver is called. but yes, switching to/from the proprietary driver (catalyst?) should make some visible difference; they have different strengths.

i used to see switching between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions also recommended to see if that makes a difference, but i think 64 bit is preferred now.

6. Alley Oop

ah, i looked up your gpu. that chip has no dedicated memory, so it's sharing your 8gb with the system. you may not have the 6gb left that sota requires.

7. huw

huw Avatar

Hmm. Well I just played for a little bit with KSysGuard running, and the memory usage didn't go above 4.2 GB. Swap wasn't touched. Also the minimum requirements include 6GB RAM and Intel HD3000 graphics which is also shared, so I'm not sure it's a memory issue...?

Oh and yes, I should've mentioned sorry, I'm using the Catalyst 15.5 driver from AMD.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

You could try a real GPU, with dedicated memory. Or an nvidia. On linux, the state of proprietary drivers is far better for nvidia than it's for amd, unfortunately.

Also, an SSD really helps. Yes, even with framerate, as the dynamic resource loading thread can impact on the stuttering of graphical rendering thread.

9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Ooops, if that's a notebook, my bad.

10. Sir Baralis

Sir Baralis Avatar

I feel that Portalarium's minimum requirements are a little to optimistic at least for the pre alpha. Perhaps once they have fully optimized the game they will be more realistic but for now I feel they are questionable for what I would call playable performance.

Katrina Bekers and Barnabas Root like this.
  11. huw

huw Avatar

I'd appreciate a developer commenting here. One of them said on Steam that "We've actually got players playing on 2ghz Celerons with integrated graphics on linux". It was on that basis, and the listed requirements, that I decided it wouldn't be a risky purchase.

12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

HD3000 is the absolute lowest chip we officially support in terms of performance. If you turn all the settings down it should still play pretty well in most settings. Towns might be just too much for it to play well. We will get in more tuning options in the future so you can have it not show as many decorations in future releases but R20 is full right now.

If there are others playing on that same setup, I'd love to hear their feedback so I know it isn't just an issue with the linux version you're on. There are only a few technically supported but in reality we haven't seen it not work on many systems.

Katrina Bekers and steanne like this.
  13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

As an owner of an Intel HD 3000 I can tell you that it's honestly not even enough to play the game full speed and fully enjoy it. It's an unfortunate thing but it's time to upgrade.

14. huw

huw Avatar

Well, last night I upgraded to the 3.19 kernel and the new 15.20 Catalyst driver and it's improved considerably. In the town I probably wasn't getting any more than 10 FPS but that's a marked improvement over what I was getting before (it was basically a slideshow before now).

Katrina Bekers and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.