Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

18KB download speeds .... really?

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Silvanus, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

I'm glad I have access to Steam as well as the SoTA client. Started the update process for my SoTA client at 10:10 CST - about 4 hours ago. Until about 5 minutes ago it was running at 18KB/second on a FIOS network 50GB connection. It has now jumped to 1.4MB/second at 53% complete. My usual download speed for updates is 8 - 10MB/sec.
    This isn't a full wipe release so there's no "land rush" issue to claim lots ... but if this is a glimpse of the future I'm really dreading R20. Not sure what the issue is with the patch server but I really hope you plan on addressing it

2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

If your connection gets too slow you can always switch over to the direct download option in the patcher. That pulls data from our 1GB connection server. We've seen the random slow connection thing for months but haven't prioritized fixing it as it isn't trivial and we have a work around. :( Sorry for the inconvenience and feel free to use the non-torrent download option next time if you aren't getting 1MB/sec+ speeds.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

18K is better than what I'm getting now. I've been staring at 0KB at 59% for about an hour now. It's bad enough that I only have 15G of bandwidth per month.. and that I have to share it.. but this update looks to be at least 1 G and it's just plain stuck. And I don't see the direct download option anywhere. At this rate I'm expecting a long day at the library tomorrow and copying files over from my ever aging laptop.

I would restart but I'm afraid it will start over rather than resume.

4. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

@Chris I would be delighted to use direct download but until you mentioned it I had no idea it existed. Where do I find that option?

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's not on the options menu.

Edit: Restarted.. yay it resumed properly.. except it's slow now. heh

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Gaben owns my soul, but... I can't thank enough for the existence of Steam, and its support of linux.

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...I experienced the same problem patching from the SotA client last night :( (I refuse to use Steam o_O) It was limping along at about 15 -20 KB/sec for a long time before suddenly jumping up to 320 KB/sec. Took nearly two hours to complete the download :eek:

I didn't see the direct download option either :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The options to use direct or p2p are found in the options when you first start the client:
    [​IMG]

9. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

I may be mistaken ... my wife likes to remind me of that ... but P2P upload isn't the same thing as direct download. P2P allows other on the network to upload patch code from your machine, it doesn't have anything to do with accessing a Port server directly. I already keep it enabled to help support the community

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I alway get slow connection speed the day of release, sometimes as slow as 4kb download, I just let it run and read the boards... Watch a movie, the News...

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Um.. no it's not. What the options say is "Help Upload" via PsP.. and setting P2P upload limits. In other words.. file sharing to other people getting the updated. The options say absolutely squat about downloading updates.

12. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Chris
    I know you're flat out getting R20 on track, but could you take a moment and tell me how to find the non-torrent download option you referred to? I hope it won't be necessary, but I'd like to know how to find it just in case.
    Thanks

13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Chris made that post over a month ago. As far as I can see, the option does not exist. I will start the download before going to play golf for 4 hours, then will probably have to wait till after dinner before it completes. In another thread I suggested that they let us all complete the download before activating the launcher, but that idea has not gone over too well.

14. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

On a hunch I looked at the website and I found it
    The good news ... There's a direct download link on the home page
    The BAD news ... To use it, you have to delete your existing installation, it then downloads the basic client (very fast) and then starts loading all the patches from the normal patch server starting with 1. So instead of taking 4 hours to update yourself to the next release, you've just forced yourself to download the first 287 patches as well (for R20) when the server is under maximum demand

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Which is what I (and Chris) were referring to.
    There are no other options for where or how you download...

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

and downloading being what was asked about.

17. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

I'm not trying to prove a point, but you're wrong. There is nothing under options that you have circled above that will help. P2P means peer to peer and it's an option you select to allow your system to upload code to help update other users and minimize congestion on the patch server. It has nothing to do with direct download from their non-torrent server
    You need to go to shroudoftheavatar.com, not launch the game. If you go straight to the forums, go to the home page. If you have to log in do so.
    On the right side of the page, below the $$ amount raised and the server status boxes, you will see direct download for the various operating systems.
    That is the only direct download I can find and it doesn't help for patches, only for downloading the basic client.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok then, what exactly do you think Chris was referring to when he said:
    Since we're not talking about the Steam client, there is only one place that we all get the Port client.
    The only option regarding any aspect of speed of download, is the option that Chris and I were referring to - where he said - regarding his previous reference above - to the "option in the patcher":

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The key words in that quote are "direct DOWNLOAD" option in the patcher.. which unfortunately does not exist. There is no non-torrent DOWNLOAD option in the patcher. Only upload options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.