Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

What about not charging gold for skills until you pass level 10 or something like that, at least in these early releases.

At a low level, if you try to respec you're suddenly broke.

2. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

QFT.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm talking to the Town Crier in Solania right now and he doesn't seem to understand any of these words....

quest
    work
    job
    gold
    help

Am I doing something wrong?

Jivalax Azon, enderandrew and Chatele like this.
  4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, I agree that each skill training "session" should end with a confirm/cancel option. That way, you can work your way through a tree to get to a higher tier skill and see if you have the gold to afford it... and if not, you can consider going another direction to get something else instead.

The way it is now, you know the cost of the next rank of a skill, but you don't know the cost on successive ranks. So while you know you need to reach say rank 3 of a skill before you can get the next tier, if you are on rank 1 now you don't know what rank 3 costs until you buy rank 2. If it goes from 25g to 50g on rank 3, then that could foil your whole plan.

So, yea, a confirm/cancel option that tally's up the current "sessions" skill point and gold costs as you select them would be a big help.

Aldo, Chatele and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

LOL yes, that worked!

Ok, I'm going to assume that this was in the release notes. But this is a great example of an engineer making something that works, but common normal people would have no idea how to access it. This is like "PC LOAD LETTER" on the office space printer. (just look it up on youtube if you don't know what it means)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

lp0 on fire

8. Drocis the Devious

Doing these now...

Thanks for letting me know. Again, probably in the release notes (my bad for not reading those closely enough). I would still suggest having quest, job, work, help being added to the town criers so that no one is left behind unnecessarily.

Jivalax Azon and enderandrew like this.
  9. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

He yells "Mail carriers needed!" as you walk past, and when you click on him to say hello, his initial dialog has "Just ask if you'd like to help deliver the mail!" with the word "mail" highlighted. I'll add a response to the set of "need help/what do I do/etc." keywords, but I really don't think it's PC LOAD LETTER 14 levels of arcane wizardry already.

Hazard, Chatele, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

You're right, I'm not being completely fair about that. I often push things to make my point. (Although I didn't see any of that extra dialogue at the Solania Town Crier) I'm sorry if I went too far. You do a great job, Lum. Thanks for putting up with me.

11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Mail delivery quests were in R19 as well. I remember doing a few between Soltown, Ardoris, and Solaria.

I just clicked on the highlighted text in the Town Crier's dialogue and got the quest. After the first one, I realized that and just typed "mail" whenever I walked up to another Town Crier.

Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Ok, through one of the Control Points (Brightbone Pass).

Here's what happen yesterday. I get up to the wooden gate and it looks like I should be able to walk around the sides. But I can't, I'm invisibly blocked. So I think I have to go down into the valley and go through some kind of dungeon (the big door looking things). Well I'm level 5 and I can't defend myself so I turn back thinking I'll never successfully outrun whatever is in there before I find my way out.

So now I'm level 10 after like 10 hours of play, and I go back to the control point to find that there is no dungeon down there in the valley. And in fact, the wooden gate will open if you click on it! HA!

So now I'm through with no problem.

Of course, most people will just say "user error" "Drocis is a moron". But I doubt I'm alone here. I would be surprised if there were not plenty of people that were completely confused by that control point.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Baron I'm sorry you have had such a hard time of it. While I am not a PoT owner, I find myself sympathetic to what you have said.

What I would add is that at low levels it seems running quests is the only way to advance. BUT, I hate, loath, despise, detest, abhor (some might say mildly dislike) running idiotic missions. What type of mission is idiotic IMO - all of them. Not that SotA isn't well written or that its missions are bad, far from it. I just dislike the concept entirely. That's why I play sandbox games. Remember starting with a dagger and making your way in the world? (UO was not the only game that started this way, SoR started with a wooden practice dagger and peasant rags.) But, as it stands now I started with my founders plate and a two handed sword and have to look for bunnies (ok low level whatevers). When I struggle through a fight with a wolf as hard as I can handle, I get 104 xp - only need 6000 to level. Really? I need to fight 60 things that I can barely defeat to level? If I was level 80 I get it. Level 6 seems a bit off.

OK, I know it still needs balance, and this is less of a rant than an emotional acknowledgment that there is some tweaking yet required. I do love the changes that have been implemented. I am loving the progress. However, as a fan who has loved to see this game grow, I would be remiss in my obligation as a pre-alpha tester if I did not agree with the baron and ask for more tweaks (and possibly a zone to PoT option for the owners ;))

14. Horton Irongate

Horton Irongate Avatar

At least you gents know where your town is! I have gone to a few locations on my priority list and still don't see it anywhere. Any idea of where to start??

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would make sure your POT is on the list, which Im sure you have. Darkstarr said some aren't in but that could have changed. For Wizards Rest it was request to be in the snowy region by Owlshead and we had to hunt a bit for it. So it was actually behind the volcano hidden in some trees. I'm not sure where yours is, but if you list a town name, we can keep a look out for it.:) There will be a banker in your town so you can get your markers when you arrive at your town so just an FYI. Im sure this will change at release or sooner, but for now we have bankers/town crier standing around Good luck on your journey. :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I've never completed a quest in this game.. I always level off of skeletons early on though.

17. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i hate this release.. i spent 2 h of my life fighting wolves and die

i've to do better things with my time

just waiting to reach the Quest-hat.. and goodbye SOTA see ya on R21

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

I got the quest hat, it took me about 6 hours.

It was tough. Too tough.

Despite all the problems, this is actually my favorite release yet. I think this is going to be an amazing game.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree Mishri, I just spent 2 plus hours trying to complete a quest and never did. I really loath quests. Except that I didn't get to fight anything but one wolf that yielded miserable XP. I'll try again in a couple weeks maybe, but I am done with this release for now. I frankly hate it. Love some of the things that have been added, but my preferred play style is incompatible with the current dynamics - unless I want to stand around town and RP, because I certainly won't be leveling.

20. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

When I first logged on, I quickly went exploring at level 1. I did experience getting pulled into a few encounters that I just ran out of. I did get lost for a bout 3 hours as I could not find the right path and it seemed like I ran in circles during the entire time. But I did not find it a struggle as others have suggested. Once I figured out where I, was I took the moongate to Owl's Head and basically farmed skeletons whch got me to level 20 in a couple of hours along with a good some of gold to respect my skills. The bonus XP makes it easy to level. But I can empathize with the OP who logged on excited about seeing his POT.

Mishri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.