Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming (negative) feedback

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Oyjord Hansen, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

I spent the past 48 hrs playing damn near non-stop, leveling my character and gathering mats to try taming. I was an old Animal Tamer in UO, and loved it.

It took a LONG time gathering the mats to make the "Taming Collar" and the "Taming Whistle." The "Animal Collar" and "Animal Whistle" wasn't too bad, but getting the silver and finally making the "Taming Collar" and "Taming Whistle" took the better part of two full days of playing (family's on vacation, I put in some marathons).

Once I made the collar, I maxxed all my Taming Skills, went to Solace Bridge, found a Grey Wolf, and used the collar. It said 70% chance. I failed, lost the collar, and am back at square one.

SIGH

I immediately /ragequit. I can't foresee going through that all over again (esp. knowing there will be another wipe sometime).

Just my two copper,
    Oy.

Montaigne, Chatele, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  2. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Keep in mind that taming is in for the first time and will be painful. I'm sure they'll tweak it as it goes on to be more fun and less aggravating.

Kudos to you for all the effort by the way.

Montaigne, majoria70 and hoylegu like this.
  3. Taze

Taze Avatar

Lots of Silver in the dedicated mines (See my other post) go hit up graff gem mines, loads of silver there

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

silver is no longer rare.

5. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

Tamed a large grizzly and learned that you can't take your pet between scenes....and there is a long cool down timer...:(. I too was a tamer in UO and loved it-I know this is going to get tweaked a LOT. Hoping so anyway.

Hettar Fimbultyr and majoria70 like this.
  6. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I went back, farmed more mats again, made another collar, my second, tried in on a "Brown Bear," and failed again, this time at 68%.

I'll wait till there are serious changes to the system before I try again, heh. At the very, very least, collars shouldn't be consumed on failure.

7. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Wait...you can't take your pet with you? I thought the long cooldown is here because the pet follows you until it's "killed" (it runs away according to description). If it's locked to one instance I see no reason for such a long cool down. Also it makes you feel like you're using special summon skill instead of having an actual tamed pet :( I hope they plan to change that...

8. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

An hour long cool down, locked to the scene and doesn't listen to "stay" very well. It is very cool to have a little help though-I can see this working once they get it debugged/balanced. One thing I noticed was that the whistle is NOT consumed when you use it-I though it stated it would be upon use but won't swear to it.

hoylegu likes this.
  9. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

This has been my thinking as well. This is not taming in the UO sense of having to take care, nurture and manage a pet in the world. This is just a summoning skill tree where you carry around pets in your backpack.

smack and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

My pet does "teleport" with me at least-from the end of the line in graff mines to the beginning via the switch. Losing him when switching scenes wouldn't be so bad if the timer weren't so long. It's good to have a pet though-I like to solo a lot, and a pet makes it a tad better. Will be interesting to see how they expand pets and their uses. Been using large grizzly-as that was the first thing I came across once I FINALLY made my collar/whistle....just finished material run for more and going to go for Patriarch or maybe obsidian wolf. I like the animations too-there are some good things to this taming. Bear gets up on two legs and tries to hug me sometimes...:oops:o_O

Hettar Fimbultyr and majoria70 like this.
  11. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

Okay-put all taming skills up to max, and the timer is now at 10 minutes. More than acceptable in my opinion.

steanne and majoria70 like this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Tried using a taming collar on my wife but she still owns me ......

13. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

I wish i read this sooner... wasted too much gold on taming skills :(

14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

At least it isn't like this other game I play called Ark Survival Evolved. It's a survival game during the dinosaur times.. You can tame and ride dino's but once the taming process starts it can take 4+ hours for mid level dinos. .higher level dino's can take longer, like for instance a T-Rex took me and some friends about 7 1/2 hours. At least on SOTA the hard part is crafting the collar/whistle. You can also buy them from another player which makes it a lot easier.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Where can I buy the crafting recipes for the taming collar and whistle? Is it a specific vendor?

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yes. it is the General Store in the Ardois square shopping area. I forget her name that sells them. She is in the General Store building.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

After working with my tamable and reading the R20 notes and I think the cool down timer makes a lot of sense. I am use to the UO taming cycle and pet resurrection, heal, and jump into battle quick implementation. That approach is ok. I am kind of bored with that approach.

I really like the SotA implementation of "However being natural creatures they need time of their own to rest and hunt" and "Tamed beasts will also not fight to the death, fleeing when badly injured." This makes sense to me. It tells me that death to a tamable is really death. Not a pseudo-avatar resurrection type of existence.

+1 for taming!

Lord Chojin likes this.
  18. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

As I said THAT is ok. BUT the pet should travel with you between zones. Or the timer should reset on leaving the zone at least... Otherwise you're stuck for X minutes each time you enter a new zone (if your build depends on the pet a lot), waiting for the cooldown to end so you can summon again.

19. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think with the different zones having different creatures it might not be technically possible to have the pet follow you across zones in some cases.

20. gracy

gracy Avatar

... Fully agree, the pets should follow you also in the world map if they are active.

I also would like to suggest some improvements:
    - Naming pets now is not possible (at least I haven't yet understand how), i think that should be implemented
    - Pet should be visible in the inventory or at least a whistle should report the name of the tamed pet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.