Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Vendors

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It would be helpful if there were a visual queue that told people if the vendor had anything on it or it was empty. :)

Winfield, 4EverLost, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  2. Taze

Taze Avatar

So like, if the vendor has wares to sell, he puts on his hat? If he doesn't have wares to sell he takes off his hat?

3. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

[​IMG] Looped animation when he has stuff to sell [​IMG]

E n v y, Peabo, Bambino and 3 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

If we wanted to get really crazy, we might even add a filter that allowed us to see which vendors had the stuff we were looking for. :)

Like this...

Filter: Raw Cotton

Then only the vendors that have Raw Cotton do their animation, all the others do something else. It would simulate "barking". Like "Over here, who wants Raw Cotton?!"

5. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

How bout an Open or Closed sign? Open when there are items for sale and closed when there are not. Could actually be programmed to switch if the player is not online when all his items sell out.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps most vendors don't have a lot to sell yet because the release just started. Mine for example is still empty but I wanted to see him in the game. It was such a great experience to first place him, almost like his little feet were moving around and arms flaying about"put me down, put me down";) So I have not even been able to find time to stock him, but I will;) There is a search on Vendors to find your item, you can already alphabetize it. The opened or closed sign is ok, but not to worry yet, all feed back helps. I will have more feedback once I have played with the in game mechanic more:) I didnt get to play Friday so I am behind perhaps.;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    4EverLost and Stahlknecht like this.
  7. Marek Laemenard

Marek Laemenard Avatar

With respect, I'm not a fan of things that make it easy for traders to corner the market, save time, etc. I am not a fan of the computer doing everything for you in game. And in a way, this is exactly the same reason I'm not a fan of quick travel.

But if you're asking for this, where do you draw the line? What about an item that just sits in your house that alerts you when an item comes up for sale on any vendor in the entire world, that is within your price parameters? Or an in-game UI mod that allow you to instantly see price tracking, like MasterMerchant in ESO? Automatons that will go "find" deals for you and report back? I think it's a slippery slope, that's all I'm saying.

And if this game goes live, we'll likely see external market tracking anyways, in some way, shape, or form. To me, though, it takes the fun out of it when every problem is solved through technology. Or, maybe I'm secretly expressing my Luddite inner fears. Hehehe.

That said, if a vendor has absolutely nothing for sale, sure, why not have that be part of the conversation - you talk to the vendor NPC... "Ahh, welcome, welcome! So nice to see you, but I'm afraid I have no wares available for you today. I could use your help in providing some again, though - do you have anything you'd like to put up for sale?"

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

How about a 'smart visual cue' vs. just something glowing. What if they generated different chat box text over their head when they are empty instead of when they are full.

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I was think of something like this... Maybe they could walk to you, motioning you closer with their arm (come here friend, I have just what you're looking for) or something like that, you know how street peddlers do trying to get a sale, but it would cue to what you're searching for instead of just random actions...

Or maybe something simple like smoke coming out their head, like pressing "P" for unclaimed lots... But you would need to put in a cue for what you're looking for and just those vendors would have smoke...

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

See Lord Baldriths post for his surprising discovery place a chest next to your vendor with a slip of paper on it stating whatever you want to. You can place written on pieces of paper on tables chests exetera, so very cool, 'now' newly in the game. Make it say whatever you want.;)

edit............you can even set the piece of paper on the ground in a lot.

11. Drocis the Devious

Or perhaps a neon sign...

Or a sign spinner!

Seriously, I think the OP is completely reasonable. Thanks for the input though.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Why are you being so "snarky" are you tired again, need some sleep... Your OP didn't specify any suggestion on your part as to what kind of "visual" you would like, so...

I would disagree as for a "Neon" sign over their heads, as well as a "sign spinner", but if you want to pay a player to go spine a sign for your vendor, that's ok by me... I play in SPO, so it wouldn't affect me in the least... But I do agree that searching "by chance" every vendor in town, is pretty tedious... especially since most are empty at this time, but that's understandable as this is the 1st test... And they work wonderful, I have made some purchases myself...

Maybe in the future they could start out holding a "NO SALE" sign until they have at least something for sale, would that satisfy you, Baron Drocis?

13. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I'd really like to see wares on a table, shelves, or on a carpet. I realize this is well beyond score for the first release, but having to harass every vendor to show me what's in their coat is kind of inconvenient. How cool would it be to see the goods without having go engage and browse an excel spreadsheet.

14. Drocis the Devious

No sale.

15. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

That would be cool and not all that hard to make really. A rug can be rectangular and they would only have to write code that stacks everything the vendor has close toghether until the whole rectangle is filled (then you can't add more items to the vendor).

EDIT: Although people selling big stuff like beds and wardobes wouldn't be happy about that :)

EDIT2: Also, I think it's all the fun setting up the area around the vendor yourself, letting everyone know what they should expect from the vendor (you sell furniture? just add a counter next to a lot of furniture and place your vendor behind it)

Tarsin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.