Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback from a New Backer

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by The One True Nobody, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I second the controller interface, I have it mapped out with Xpadder and it plays well on a gamepad but with all the typing its tiresome to keep swapping out so I mainly use the keyboard mouse.

2. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I totally agree I've been hoping they'll add native controller support for the camera because that's really the main problem everything else is easy to do but actually having native controller support for the camera would be way better.

3. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

I have very little problem with putting down a controller to type into the chat, or taking one hand off the gamepad to work with the mouse. It's less cumbersome to me than using WASD to move and then shifting my hand upward to use hotkeys, anyway.

4. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

I only have a small piece of feedback today, and it come from my first dive into East Perrennial. While I get the feeling I'm intended to suit up with some armor before leaving Soltown and this probably factors into how much trouble I had, I was thrown off pretty hard by how all the enemies instantly aggroed me. Keeping in mind at the start of the game a single enemy is enough to give a character trouble, I was fighting two or three undead at a time and even the wildlife (bears) chased me down on sight, which was jarring compared to other games of this type.

I'm not complaining about this. Not exactly. But I have a couple suggestions to balance this:

1. Wildlife, while possibly aggressive, could be programmed to hesitate before attacking without provokation.
    For example, they could give you a warning growl, face you, and make a scary hunched pose animation to warn you off, unless a given area has (for example) a backstory element suggesting that the carnivores are short of game to hunt. Animals such as bears or wolves or whatever wouldn't realistically just attack on sight, but they might if you get too close. This could also provide a means to more adequately follow the virtues if Ultima IV's "don't kill non-evil creatures" still applies at all, although I don't imagine it does if skinning animals is a factor.

2. Trap items would help balance out instant enemy aggression (and might also help with trapping animals for crafting materials and food).
    Mentioned this in Sandbox Brainstorming, but being able to set items to immobilize enemies might help player escape enemies if they find themselves happening to aggro a few undead too many, and might be helpful in catching animals, as well--baited traps for catching smaller animals like rabbits or raccoons, for example? It seems like a more immersive option than running up to a rabbit and massacring the poor thing with your battle axe. Also, being able to immobilize specific enemies with snares might provide a tactical option for solo players fighting multiple opponents, allowing them to focus on attacking a single foe during the lull while a second enemy attempts to free itself.

Miracle Dragon, Chatele and Spoon like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Avatar

I do. Just link me the ones that are missing :)

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Is there any info on the placeholder music that used to be in? Some of that was really nice, too.

7. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome, Heartless Wanderer!

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Welcome to SotA, The Heartless Wanderer. Glad to have you:)

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm really enjoying this thread and your feedback! I look forward to seeing it considered and implemented! :D Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar!

10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

i
    i was under the impression tinott was commissioned for his pieces, no?

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This one's new so that explains why it's not on the playlist yet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.