PETITION/POLL: Please Portalarium put a hard cap on sales of Player Owned Towns

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Spoon, Jul 15, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes put in a hard cap @250

88 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Yes put in a hard cap @275

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Yes put in a hard cap @300

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. No cap is necessary, the more the merrier.

26 vote(s)
    19.3%
  5. Who cares?

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Yes, but you do not need a POT for those events.

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say that the people who have purchased PoTs have more than funded that 'one' guy.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Caliya. Well I started out on a bit of a downside for POTs originally but a family member and friends got one so here I am in Wizards Rest. Hopefully the concerns will blow over for others. I think player owned towns have a lot to offer in designing special quests, mazes, and entertainment for others if they want it. Our player owned town has lots with resident access to lots with chests anyone can access if they need things out of it or donate for others to take if they want. So you can just give access to all residents on that lot or any lots you have . One lot is a crafting pavillion with our vendors on it so people can craft and not have to run to a town for resources since we try to keep them stocked. It doesn't stop me from using the NPC towns. I still go to Owlshead (since we are in Hidden Vale) for training and selling also. I Have been doing quests this release and having some fun in that since the dialoque has really expanded with them. So I don't think we need a zillion more POTs on the map but no more can be accessed on the map anyway but accesses from now on will be through another player owned town. I am not sure if there will be more maps added to the game, but if there is then the perhaps the POTs can be spread out even further. For me I am not going to worry about it, but I am not saying anyone is wrong in discussing it, it's just that we have them now and we have the amount of them that we have, and that cannot be undone since it is real money involved and in fact a 'lot' of real money. So they are here to stay.:)

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I actually do read the release notes, fancy that! And I would never put words in your mouth, you are good at expressing yourself and don't need my help to do it :p
    Those are your words. Your beef is not about Kickstarter, it's this opinion you have that PoT's aren't going to benefit everyone. Since you have no plans to enter a PoT then you're right - they aren't benefitting you so yep, they aren't benefitting *everyone*. But that is not because it's a bad idea, it's because you've made a choice in how to spend your game time:
    I'm sure we could go round the mulberry bush and pick apart what things in the game won't be a benefit to everyone. PvP gets my vote...LOL! But what's the point? People will either enjoy the game *as a whole* and participate in things they like or they won't.

5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I really love the idea of community created quests and events, if they can actually be designed specific to the town.

In what way would a quest need a POT though? Or a maze? Or entertainment? We did a lot of those things in UO without instanced POTs. And what about people who don't own a town but would like to have the same ability to create designed events?

I can see your view, that it's community driven and that is the best thing you reminded me of, that I had not considered. But when I boil it down to, why do we need a POT for that? I have no answer.

I remember in UO, people would come yelling at one of the crowded areas (usually the bank), "PKs at the Crossroads!" And we'd all go running to have a battle. In this game, if someone were to yell, "PKs in X POT!" I'd say, "meh." Because y'know, people will know which towns are PvP. No spontaneity there.

Spontaneity is one of the many things that made UO so awesome.

The final concern I have is, how many of these POTs will there be? There is a cap for number on the overland map. But I feel sorry for those who won't be on the map and you have to know which town to enter to reach them (and are you banned from that town?). It's not fleshed out, and to be honest, it seems like a can of worms. Add to that, people who have not yet purchased the game, when they find out they will never have a POT on the map - well that could be a deterrent right there to even want to buy the game, for a lot of people.

In reality, most customers will never buy a town. Those that may live in them, some out of necessity, may never take part and make it a vibrant community. So the community driven events will again be by a select few. The rest will have to have events in public places, which is just fine by me. But creating these kinds of divisions in instances is not my idea of a good design for the game overall.

Like you and others have said, it would be necessary to make POTs meaningful to the entire population. The exclusivity is a deterrent for having warm fuzzy feelings toward POT owners.

I don't have a solution (which is too late now anyway) but in my mind, an intelligent design may have been, bring forth X number of people who buy in equally to create a common area, but until that is reached, no POT. The ability to buy them just for the sake of doing so and beating others who have yet to buy the game, is not giving me a good feeling about the game.

But it's too late. POTs aren't going away and they missed the "good feeling" window for me.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Now luckily not only towns can do this. I just say because we have them and they are not going away. I understand concerns about them. Also since the world is broken up into hexes my worries was always about dividing us even more, but really perhaps some people will stay in their POT or like you not go into others towns but hopefully we will find ways to bridge the gap of separation. I want NPC towns at least to offer a town square or in the market places maybe to have a bulletin board. This bulletin board would have the ability to leave players requests for work orders crafting and adventuring requests to ask them to provide services for them like getting resources or helping them, but also you could place notes about what was going on in your town for the player base to see. If it is something someone wants to participate in then for sure I'd go do it and see the spectacle. It will bridge the gap of separation. I think it's possible to do that. So I went to my house the other day and I had the nicest note from other player in my geocache since I did buy one. To me that was amazing and plus the note was great too. What is truly amazing is that now he did not have to leave that note in my geocache, he could have left it on a table, and well in some cases on your bed if it were a romantic note and your door was unlocked, or on the ground. That's a huge thing for the game and only 1 of many to come. These are things that connect us in a world of unconnectedness with a hex style game. So I hope for the best and want to provide ideas always to connect us the players in spite of this. So I understand concerns but for the good of the game. Let's bridge these concerns to make a better game. I know that's all you want also. :)

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Thing is, that many towns all at once literally makes the game a ghost town in public places. It is too much, too fast. That's why the possible suggestion would have been to wait until groups of people buy in together. Make it more competitive. Not shut people out before they ever bought the game.

There are people writing in this forum about why they can't find anyone. If new players see it like this, they very well could lose interest in the game. Most people don't read or post in forums. They may look at an event in a book in their pack, but feel disconnected or out of place because they know no one.

POTs do not seem inclusive even if events are listed in a book. I get the idea of crowd sourced events, and it's a good idea. I understand expanding based on players, and a progressive world. I know this is what they had in mind. But the application has fallen short. That must be rectified if they have any hope of attracting new customers or winning back disgruntled ones.

8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

... except the funds from the POT's paid for him to work on them not the core systems.

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Using that logic, then housing paid for developers to only work on housing.

We were promised a game that is not delivered yet. No one pledged in KS for POTs. Money goes in one pot, not only to what one set of people want.

10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Sorry but you've twisted the logic wrong. That's why there's a separate fee for the POT's specifically to cover the costs of creating them and why the stretch goals are not being worked on since they are not funded yet. Big difference... houses are part of the core game and therefore core funded.

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Naw, it's not twisted logic. Thinking they should drop everything and design POTs instead of the core game is though.

I mean, why not just put a bunch more stuff in the add-on store to develop, to keep the staff on those projects rather than the core game? Let's make a ton of money and divi it out only to the pet projects invested. Forget KS backers. Who needs them? ;)

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    this is all water under the bridge and non constructive as its already implemented. Is there anything that you could add to the present state of the game?

Womby and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I would add control for town names....or you know some form of lore following rules for PoT's.....

I wouldn't have added them at all personally.

14. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Yes, I see where they've dropped everything to create POT's... only... they haven't and they are funded to be worked on. The other pet projects are not being worked on since they have not been funded yet... which is the big difference.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I would agree that the towns should follow the lore, but as you know, we don't know much of it lol.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really....let's wait and see if all the things that were supposed to be in (from the kickstarter) make it too launch.

Caliya likes this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am not sure and maybe some one can post more for confirmation, but the kickstarter covers 5 episodes. Does that mean that the kickstarter requirements could be stretched over 5 episodes. My current thinking is yes, but I am just speculating.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Nope...because this kickstarter was for this episode...it never said anything about stretching all the goals over the episodes....

Unless they went back and changed that now...I don't think they did though.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

ya, I am not sure either. I do think they are trying really hard to get everything in though. I bet they have stuff completed just waiting to be implemented when it becomes time to put it in. Kind of like Chris's last post saying they had the new combat system built months ago but where waiting. For me I have hope that things will work out.

20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If you see even one item that was crossed off the list of what they had planned for each release, that is what was dropped in lieu of putting in those ~120 POTs. There is no disputing this, no matter how hard you try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.