Overland MAP POT

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Greyfox, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Could all of you people please edit your posts and replace "release" with "episode" for clarity?

mbomber and Melissa like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Done, sorry for mistakes. I frequently post on a tablet, even occasionally on a phone, hard to edit on either.

3. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Im selling the overland map access.

After much thought on the matter, I am choosing to join the Bluff Hamlets to the metropolis and do away with overland entry. Residents can zone to their homes and choose to leave the scene or go into the metropolis. More POTs should interconnect.

The account value on the first town was $1450 and I sold it for $1500. $50 profit. On the marketplace there were two buyers at the time. Only one contacted me. She was a happy buyer. ;)

The next one up is for $2000. And will probably stay there until closer to launch. I purchased these towns over a year ago when funding was somewhere around 2.8m. Rough times!!!!

I dont doubt that there will be overland map access for Ep. 2 but the launch of the Hidden Vale and Novia carry historical significance to collectors.

Im currently trying to guage the market on the overland map access.

Edit: I'll auction one of the hamlets, in game, 6 months after the day of launch for gold. So community members can have a shot at it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    mbomber, Melissa, Greyfox and 2 others like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was hoping this was a thread on potentially being able to hide pot's....

5. Silk

Silk Avatar

All well and good, but you forgot to delete the post where you clearly stated the Hamlet was a $1200 Hamlet on the old pricing that you were selling for 300$ over the add-on store price. Which is fine, but I don't know why you would claim it was 1450 and only 50 profit here and something different in your other post.

Nice to hear you'll be auctioning the Hamlet for gold, I bet it'll go for quite a bit!

6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I was assuming Sean meant percentage rather than absolute values. Some of the RF $45 accounts have gone for multiplies of the original value (iirc).

7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Youre right. I went back and checked and it was $1200. I have several accounts with a lot of stuff on them and get confused from time to time. Guess what I was thinking is it was over the current price of $1450.

mbomber likes this.
  8. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

As the buyer...I know what I bought and I am happy to own it. The price is not the issue. The value of what I feel something is worth is. I got a good deal and it will prove to be more of an asset as time goes on.

I believe "Overland" access is a rare item and I should have purchased sooner. I believe once the population density increases "Overland" will be a huge benefit to POTs and any group planning for the future of the game should see this as a priority.

9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Overland isn't going to be rare. Assuming Shroud is a huge success the map will expand and those buying a POT now will have several opportunities in the future to place overland.

Unlike the Founder pledges, those are limited and unavailable in the future except through resale.

I gladly paid a premium for a RF, about double. I would pay at most 10% over the standard POT for overland, but my plan is to pay nothing extra and just wait.

Fact is, I kind of prefer attaching to an NPC town over finding a place on the overhead map. In fact, one reason I avoided buying a POT is because my understanding was Overhead placement was the only option. I had no desire to landlord a POT. It was not until I saw these huge player created metropolis such as Beran Reach that I wanted a POT and in that case I would rather not attach to another players POT.

Everyone has a right to sell and buy as they see fit within the rules provided.

Understanding the process and rules is crucial so everyone remains happy.

Scraps likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

???
    Of course it is. You are talking about a year minimum after release, probably closer to 18 months before E2 launches and the next continent comes in. And the ones that you buy now in the addon store don't have overland access.
    So prospective buyers would have to wait ~2 years (alpha+beta+E1>E2) with who knows what kind of pricing for something they could purchase now, if they pay a markup.

mbomber and Kit Kimberlin like this.
  11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Everything done right now is based on the future success of the game. I know you think the markup on my POT is too high but you agree that 10% is ok. It boils down to someone's thresh hold to risk. Like I said, I put a lot of $$$ in at 2.5m and am in it for the long haul. On top of investing my money, I invest my time which is more valuable.

Even at Kickstarter(pledged at knight first) everyone knew that there would be rares. Thats kinda the fun part of a Lord British game to some players. It was always fun in UO to know that something you owned was tied to a real dollar amount. Its just part of the game.

Anyway, Spoon is right. People who want to make an early impact on the direction of lore, guilds, communities, etc. want an overland map from the get go. It already blows my mind that POTs on the Hidden Vale are a huge success. Why? Because that is where people started and feel comfortable. Also, don't forget that overland map access has the possibility to move to the new continent from Novia. So for a $550 markup(about $50/month) someone can have overalnd map access from launch. That is calculated based on the fact that POTs dont go up in the future. Problem is, I dont see Portalarium keeping prices this low if the game is a big hit. POTs and housing will be the lion share of the business model and the future success of SotA(this isnt a secret to anyone).

When I sell rares I dont have any idea at this point if it is high or low. Selling something is kinda fun and nerve wracking at the same time. What if that Blade of the Avatar Cloak is worth $250 and I sold it in Pre-Alpha for $50? What if someone bought it for $50 and it is only worth $20 at launch? Only time will tell.

My website is completely voluntary and the people who have bought things from me are extremely happy and understand that a lot of people backed this game at very low levels, when all we had was a room to stand in and 1 picture to hang.

This post is already long enough so Im not going to go into how much I actually care about SotA making it as a game bc Ive been disappointed with the last 15 years of gaming. I'm invested in SotA with a lot more than cash.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    mbomber and Atogrim like this.
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I actually didn't know you had a website. Ultimately my issue is indeed with people profiteering EXCESSIVELY outside those who actually develop a game. Certainly the direction of games lately has turned virtual property into valuable assets. Many games have very expensive land, items, ships, and other content selling for huge sums of cash. VAT is even added onto virtual items in Europe, and very likely will become taxable in the future.

I see page upon page of people whining about a feature being immersion breaking, yet rarely a rattle when items are being sold for huge markups, such as a POT. Indeed your sale was the one, making me decide to speak out. Over 25% markup for something that only recently stopped being offered. Many of these same gamers whining over immersion and gold sellers in other titles and likely in Shroud will cry the loudest, but not a word when someone they will game next to is selling for such a huge amount over the purchase price.

I felt obligated to remind the community POTs with overland will not be limited. I believe currently those initial starting towns are valuable as people are used to those zones. Later those zones will very likely be ghost towns as MMO gamers tend to move to newer content. I believe huge POT areas such as your own, Berans Reach, and Pax Lair though will continue to be popular throughout Shroud's life.

You have every right to sell at a huge markup. I have every right to ensure fellow gamers are informed and understand what they are buying. Personally, ethically, I would feel guilty selling at such a mark-up, but everyone is different.

I recently bought a ship in Star Citizen that was limited and paid double the purchase cost (Glaive). The difference is that the Glaive will be limited and very likely never available again. I paid double for a Royal Founder pledge, because I joined the project late. I have no problem paying for virtual exclusivity if the product is truly exclusive.

Overland PoT access is not exclusive and most certainly will be offered again with each expansion of land. Perhaps the price will increase, but PoTs are suppose to be purchasable with in game gold and can be expanded. So I believe a 25% markup on that item currently is purely profiteering. It could be argued overland access is actually less valuable than access from an NPC town, especially busy towns like Brittany.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  13. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

The value and rarity is in the location.

mbomber likes this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Yes, now that makes sense.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.