In my opinion, the game is poorly programmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SabeSr, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

aye we are supposed to enter alpha when all content is out, like fishing all of crafting etc.
    I dare say I have played released games not far from the state SotA is now

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Crysis seemed to do alright.. and it took a few years for a computer to come out that could run it properly... I remember in buying a whole new computer 1 step down from top of the line, and still I couldn't run it in max settings a couple of years after it came out.

Jivalax Azon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Nah the game isn't poorly programmed. . LOL. Game runs great on my machine. Sorry to say you need to update your hardware. How much Ram does your PC have? The minimum recommended Ram is 6gb.

Razimus and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

In my opinion, the OP got exactly what he wanted with this thread.

Sir Cabirus, margaritte, Enfo and 8 others like this.
  5. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

This is exactly my experience: noticably less graphical lag in cities this release. So much so that it is actually much more fun to move around my character in cities. It always felt a bit chuggy but now it feels....lightfooted!

Definately an improvement, keep up the good work.

Jivalax Azon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  6. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

I just bought an Nvidia geforce gtx 960 4gb to replace my older geforce gtx 570 1280mb video card. When I get it installed and configured, I'll report back if there is any real performance change.

Enfo likes this.
  7. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I need one for my laptop :/

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

There's no way to know until you actually look at the code itself.

The game is in pre-alpha and is, therefore, not feature complete. That means there's no point of wasting precious dev time optimizing until you get your stuff on lock down.

With that said, the dev team has been doing a few optimizing passes but (again) nothing is near completed.

9. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

My GPU was pinned until I removed shadows. Nothing else impacted more, even setting max AA etc in nVidia profile

480GTX (MSI Lightning) 800mhz 1.5gb

Now it purrs along at 40%

Also set max frames in Riva Tuner to 60. Some conversations and menues ramp up to triple digit frames with zero benefit. You can use that program to log or see OSD to identify bottleneck. Aida64 works well to log everything else

i5 2500k @4GHz
    Win 8.1u x64
    8GB Ripjaws 7-8-7 24 1N
    Crucial ssd
    Caviar Black

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  10. agra

agra Avatar

<IMHO>
    As with every Unity based game I've ever seen, performance is horrific, with the following "features":
    • using stock Unity everything results in the worst possible quality results for color, lighting, shading, shadows, textures, pathing, responsiveness, and frame rate.
    • customization takes longer because you'll do everything twice. Once, thinking stock Unity will be good enough, and twice when you have to custom code everything, bypassing everything stock Unity provides, because it's so incredibly slow and bad. Then you're stuck fighting forever with hybrid crap instead of just using a proper fast dedicated rendering engine to begin with and custom coding the network, database, and chat layers.
    • Graphics card utilization goes down in more complex scenes (exact opposite of how it should be) due to a long standing bug whereby the Unity engine consumes all available GPU resources inversely in relation to complexity, despite OS frame rate limits or any other attempts to prevent this behavior.
    • It's easier to see fixed harvest nodes the farther away that you are, with forced grass, because of the grass/LOD rendering sphere being smaller than LOS distance. Seriously? How did this get past QA for over six months? Oh right, because if you don't do it this way, frame rate is sub 30, no matter what. :( And guess what? The first hack post launch is most likely going to be a no-grass hack, so that's all pointless 'design'.
    • Scene size has to be insanely small, compared to any other game in the genre, to maintain performance, because Unity is so inefficient/poorly written.
    • Water always looks like varying shades of suck.
    • Underground transitions aren't seamless.
    • and of course... loading, please wait. Everywhere.
    </IMHO>

tl;dr? It's not the ' programming ' , it's just Unity being Unity.

Sir_Hemlock, wagram and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Don't worry, this game will not be released until Unity 69 is not released. :p

wagram, Lord Lonn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  12. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

There are a lot of games with unity which run really great.
    Subnautica is one of them and the colers and lightning look amazing.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

lol.. exactly my thoughts Agra thank you !

I've personally installed and was able to setup a game much like SOTA in a few weeks on unity with similar issues... it involved no programming, only a little logic behind the scenes.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

On a positive note, my performance issues (i7, 12 gb ram) are pretty much fixed... I'm going to further test latency issues... still the performance is similar to the demo I built in a few weeks without a professional team and no ressources. Just by intuitively exploring the engine...

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That trailer looks fine Mr. Newgate... but you have to agree theres is nothing else to load around the "main scenes" its very unlike SotA with its hundreds of buildings and layered polygons etc...

Lord Lonn likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

On this aspect I think portalarium has done a more than fine job, the artistic direction and integrity is amazing which is hard to accomplish starting from scratch :)

I just think not enough attention was given initially to some systems that could make it fun even if we have no nice graphics. Crafting is cool, but do you see how much effort you have to go through to make it pleasing to every type of crafter... its systems that don't need much testing either cause we know their logic is simple.

It's really all I'm saying : priorities...

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And I'm not even saying priorities cause I have my own agenda I don't... I'm sure I'd be happy with just finding new stuff to decorate my house and not even have multiplayer... I'm saying priorities for the hundreds of creative geniuses who form our wonderful community and don't have the guts to speak up or go forward ; I have very specific people in my mind as I write this and know exactly how they feel...

These sensitive people have not come here to make a statement or take a stand, they've come from raw loyalty and what makes us human. The striving...

Roleplaying in a community is no easy thing... especially with the different level of people ridiculing others and others even worse in position of power who say nothing when these blatant elitist dark ages behavior shows up in those that resist change no matter what because they're "comfortable" with the status quo on game UI/interactivity...

We are all on equal footing here even if some have more experience than others and I see way too much bullying, we're all nerds, even if you're an elite nerd you're still a nerd for wanting this game ; you know who you are...

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Turn off the seeding option it may help your machine, and it may not just be your PC that's pulling it down with Peer to Peer.
    The problem may be at the Portalarium Server end, not being up to the job, otherwise why are they utilising everyone's PC to share thier server Load..

19. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I am not sure if you are really serious. You are writing about bad source code, but you unable to self reflect that you have a graphic card which has its peak 10 years ago. That does not fit for someone who has PC knowledge and knows what he is writing about, therefore i am thinking you are not serious. It's strange that you are not able to tell us which grapic card is working in your system. Each game has system requirements so also Sota. You have to respect the minimum system requirements of each game. In 2015 i am pretty confident that nearly no modern PC game runs smooth with a 1GB graphic card. Except maybe some small app games like Farmville. You should think about an upgrade! I believe 99 % of all gamers would understand that it is not SotA basically, its your system who causes the issues.
    For sure, SotA is not yet optimized, but in this current state it is running more stable than a lot of other online games which had been released . SotA is still in Alpha state.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Please don't blame the engine because some crappy college student who calls himself a dev can't build a game properly.

While custom in-house engines will always run better and faster than packaged solutions (which includes Frostbite, Cryengine, Unreal, Source and Unity) it doesn't mean that those packaged engines are bad.

... well Source isn't that great... but you get the idea.

Portalarium will optimize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.