Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archery Question

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Chatele, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I decided to start as an archer since that is my first love.... having a VERY hard time. I went thru 50 arrows just to kill 1 ruffian what ever it's called bandit type... now arrows are too exp and I can only carry so much, how the heck do u play an archer in this game? I'm training dex and str, need str to be able to carry at least 100 arrows ... training purify and heal ... under combat: Range:Ranged combo, Aimed shot, Disabling shot, and ammo scavenger... what am I doing wrong? 50 arrows to take down 1 critter is a bit much ....

Gatsu., Artair Geal, Atogrim and 5 others like this.
  2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

investigating

Atogrim, ThurisazSheol and Kvow like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If the special arrows are still not required, try leaving arrows in the bank and using just special attacks (aimed, etc) on deer until you build up your main skill.

4. fireflygirl

fireflygirl Avatar

you might also want to look into taking some of the magic arrow spells like fire arrow and ice arrow to supplement your ranged attacks.

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

50 arrows/50 gold per kill in East Perennial right out of Soltown was my experience on past releases due to excessive misses. At the time, the gold drop rate did not seem adequate to keep up with the arrow cost for the kills. I havent tried this release yet. But this dialog makes me wonder what the arrow cost to raise use-based skills might be too? Also wondering if the wear and tear rate on armor/weapons for melees is an equivalent drawback for melee players? I like the design where the best ranged/magic skills cost something. But like magic, I wonder if the base ranged/archery skills should be 'free'. Would that help the starting player out?

6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Bah what are your adventurer level (all of you)?

I think ive read somewhere that that your adventurer lvl AND the lvl of the monster you attack are taken in consideration for the hit chances ...

7. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

nahh

It's your attack skill which is affected by every stat.

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Archery seems to eat thru Focus a lot faster then when I played a tank type.... BTW where can I find deer to practice my archery on?

9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

It was like Gurney2 said with the old system, don't know how it works at the moment.

I'm still waiting for arrows to come in dozens or other kind of stack, to lessen their price a little bit (maybe 12 arrows 5 gold?). Past release i carried almost everything i could find and in the first levels selling it just gave me to replenish my arrows... i managed better in the end. I plan to play this afternoon (GMT +2), I'll come by again to state an opinion based on the current state of the game.

Current or past state, arrows should be cheaper.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In R20 there were four stags and three rabbits a bit behind the moongate in Owl's Head. Didn't check for R21, tho.

Chatele likes this.
  11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Thinking of ditching my archer for now till they make them more playable, at the moment they are not solo friendly .... just can't do it, too time consuming to gain the skills i need to compete, because i either run out of arrows cause they weight too much, and lessens what I can carry, (menas can't carry much havestables i'd need to sell to buy the dang arrows etc) or I run out of focus too fast cause can't kill them fast enough. Starting out is too dam hard compared to the other chars I tried... to me this would help :

Make the arrows weight depend on how many you carry like per 100 or 200 stacks ... but not weight much or it defeats the purpose, and make the plain arrows cost way less then the other special arrows, (can never afford the arrows and the armor and the training skills I need) and have the trainer give you training arrows to start with every time you see a trainer you will have the option to take the training arrows. I think that would help the newbies at least be able to get some dang experience using their skills... and LOWER the FOCUS cost for using the range skills for the archer, my goodness it's too much I run out too fast, it needs to be adjusted .... just my 2 cents ... Very frustrated at this point, really, why is it so hard to fix the Archer?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Actually.... here's the best solution .... make arrows shoot 1/2 as fast .... and do double the dmg...... Adjust the xp gained per an action to reflect the new change .... Boom .... Realistic ... and less need to carry 1000 arrows into the field.....

Anouther options is to make a sub skill tied to the base skill of archer called fletching .... ability to craft arrows in the field ? Eliminate the crafting station componet ....

Chatele likes this.
  13. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

Not good at going back and quoting multiple posts:

1) Yes the deer and rabbits are still behind the blue gate thingie in Owls Head. Also there is a player dropped butcher station there so you can bring a cleaver and a skinning knife and gut your kills and save some weight. Bing a few boards and carp and you could craft your stag heads and sell them for a decent price

2) Dont really need a fletching skill. The ammo conservatino or whatever its called does that. Granted you have to get skill in it but youd have to carry the components for the arrows anyway originally. This way you just take less with you.

3) A lot of this is balancing which I am sure will be handled in the long run but I am glad its being talked about as I want to be a archer tank if I can but right now I am grinding swords as my solo style and ranged as fun (farm animals say good night) and secondary support for groups. Tanking the 3 to 5 spiders that jump you in the start of some scenes just doesnt work with a bow where it eats your focus in 8 to 10 shots.

14. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I would highly reccomend crafting your arrows. One board + one arrowhead (made from an iron ingot) and 10 bundles of feathers = 100 arrows. That takes care of the economics of the issue. Would also reccomend as an archer to either have a tamed pet or a friend to help you adventure in the early stages. And yes, your adventurer level right now does have some bearing on hit rate - i hope that is lessened or goes away as further balance occurs.

I would reccomend using a long bow with charged shots early on, much better to just focus on those rather than the special attacks. Keep a steady damage flow from those, and keep youself some chain or leather armor on.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I prefer to solo as an archer which I should be able too, and 2... heard pets drain your focus too much which starting out as a archer you loose too quickly.... so guess like I said I will scrap my archer till they make it able to solo with ....

4EverLost and cartodude like this.
  16. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Pet Focus drain and Soul Tap will be fixed here when the patch goes out tonight. It still doesn't address the Massive Economic downfall that is Archer....

Best solution would probably be doubling the damage but doubing the time for attacks causing it to be more of a wash .... this technically would be a buff to archery also as the skills would be favored in this change.

Chatele likes this.
  17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Pets no longer drain your focus, they just (as far as I can tell) reduce the rate of focus regen now. I solo as an archer and am doing just fine, i just craft my own arrows to control the economic element and I am careful with what i go into a fight with.

18. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Maaaan that's sick! why i didn't tried to make arrows in the previous release! i'd have tons of them by now!

At least i saved the raw materials... now i have more stuff to do :D

19. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Archer has always been my favorite build, but I gave up it in SotA long time ago because it's the worst build here. Devs should pay more attention to ranged.

Chatele likes this.
  20. Majestic

Majestic Avatar

Is Ranged leveling bugged/misconfigured at the moment?? I just spent a couple of hours (and ~900 arrows) trying to raise Ranged in this new release, and in that time I went from 10-13 Ranged Combat (15 aimed shot) which I thought initially, well this is going to be tough. However, I then switched to polearms and within no more than 3 mob pack encounters had it at 28 with push, puncture and reach all at 6, all within under 5 minutes. I also noticed my tactics (str/dex) raised way more quickly as well.

So my question is, is there a reason Range seems to raise so slowly? The whole time I was normal question going up against a range of different mobs of different difficulties.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.