Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Healing makes combat bad

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

what note is that? you cant get rid of what the game doesn't have.

2. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I have used a healing spell 4 times total in all of my game playing. I find it more annoying to use on myself than anything else. I certainly have not noticed it being anything close to OP. Now, to be fair, I have yet to get above level 22. Not sure how things progress after that...

mbomber, cartodude, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're in the minority. Watch your fellow players. Attack, heal, attack heal. Certainly you'll see healing any time they come close to dropping below half heath.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

1. Get in a fight with a mob. Burn all your focus on healing. Assuming you win, note the amount of health and focus you have at the end.
    2. Get in a fight with a mob. Burn all your focus on a balanced strategy of healing and attacking. Assuming you win, note the amount of health and focus you have at the end.
    3. Get in a fight with a mob. Burn all your focus on attacks. Assuming you win, note the amount of health and focus you have at the end.
    4. Get in a fight with a mob. Burn all your focus on defensive maneuvers. Assuming you win, note the amount of health and focus you have at the end.
    Now, in an ideal world, 2 should leave you with the most health and 1, 3, and 4 should be roughly equivalent (assuming your build is reasonably balanced), but in R21, 1 seems to be the best option by a fairly wide margin.

Albus likes this.
  5. Vermifuge

Vermifuge Avatar

Seemed obvious I was talking about reality. My mistake

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Its actually nice to use some of the defensive glyphs now as they help up some of the innates this release with current skill use system structure. :) Before I'd used them more as a quick throw away.

And as for not using heals as much this time, well, since I don't have as many to begin with since I can only get more when my usage makes the level go up thus I have less than I'd normally have with the old system. The only difference from the old system to this new system for me with the less heals is, I run around a lot longer waiting for my health to regen and go back to attacking the mob. Rinse and repeat a few times before the mob is actually dead. So, it does make me play with my toy a bit longer, run around much longer, and use the defense moves to up the innates more than because I need to defend.

Is it a better combat system now that I use less heals? Not particularly as currently it just feels like it's drawing out the battle longer that it would have. And yes, I realize this is about heals being less effective to make for better combat but since I am now using less heals I feel I have heals that are less effective in a way already without having the skill work less effectively and I still don't really feel that it's necessarily a better playstyle.

mbomber and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

This statement is almost as dumb as random deck combat. 'Almost'.

docdoom77 likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Thanks for your feedback.

mbomber likes this.
  9. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

I'm not really sure how healing is OP. If combat against certain mobs becomes easy then you should go fight somewhere else for more of a challenge or stay there because you want to farm.

Eventually mobs in an area will become easy as you gain gear and more skills which will make fighting them inconsiquential. It's all part of character progression.

mbomber likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Don't you mean reagent-less healing ? ;) Or reagent-less spells in general? (not to pick on healing)

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

I think this post (from the first page in the thread) best describes what I mean.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, but the game is designed that way because its so easy to pick up and use the heal spell, without any costs like reagents. So that's exactly what a lot of the the actual players do -- pick up the heal spell and use it all the time. And that's where devs get their feedback. IMO.

The solution isn't to nerf healing, IMO, its to tie even low level spells to reagents. Just my opinion.

13. Drocis the Devious

That thought has occurred to me as well. But I'm instead of yelling about solutions I'm trying to yell about problems and let the devs pick their own way out of it.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

You might as well write a post titled "Torches are useless" without mentioning that the light spell doesn't cost any reagents ;)

15. Drocis the Devious

I have found that the most effective OP's are the shortest ones that also make people go "what?!". :)

mbomber likes this.
  16. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

Sparrowhawk Silvarian Avatar

Why are you guys taking this dude seriously?
    I'm getting the feeling he started this thread just to stir the pot in a negative way or he would have explained himself in the initial post.
    My vote, ignore. LOL

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  17. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Ok where are you getting this "Insta-heal" from? Other than using a healing potion the most I've seen my heal spell heal for is 6 points.... 6!! That's not an insta-heal, that's a "barely survived the encounter". PLUS I play with a random draw deck, not the static placement options, so WHEN my heal ability comes up is random so there even chance in that respect.

I just started this afternoon on this new release, and for myself I feel that it costs too much as well at the lower levels.

mbomber likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I think they should increase the efficacy of Healing Touch instead of nerfing it for balance purposes; but to do that they'd have to give spells a reagent cost.

But even with a nerfed heal spell, all you have to do is manage to do is heal as much as possible between intervals as long as you have the Focus, and when low on focus, run around avoiding the enemy as you regain focus and heal yourself. So I think Drocis still has a point. Its not that Healing Touch is OP, but its still acts like a crutch.

19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

As part of my stubbornness... I'm going full melee (again) this release but I'm swearing off healing... R20 was TERRIBLY easy for me because I could fire off 4 healings (in spots 7-0) to heal me around 200-300 within 5 seconds or so.

Healing could definitely use a lot of help as it should be a specialty skill for "healers" and not a skill that everyone HAS to have in order to survive... bring back bandages, make healing potions even more powerful with a long cooldown and make it so that healing is a specialty skill so even the most hardcore melee players don't have to level it up come launch. Currently anyone that doesn't employ/level up healing isn't going to last nearly as long in a fight - or do as well... it is by far the biggest bang for your buck in terms of increasing survivability and if you don't have it........

20. Drocis the Devious

Healing has has various changes, and continues to have changes. In R20, at level 30 something, I was getting 40 HP on healing touch, of course I was maxed out on all the innate healing skills.

Now in R21 it's going up slowly but I assume that once someone gets leveled up in the innates they'll see similar returns. I'm not making this stuff up. Healing is very much a crutch for the average player.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.