1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Use Based systems

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

Finally a different MMOrpg, thank you devs.

2. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

one man's tedium is another man's exotic adventure through exploration... ;-)

Leostemplar and mbomber like this.
  3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

And I get that. I do. But I've put more money into this game than I think is reasonable for any computer game, and I'm sure as heck gonna fight for systems I like, rather than systems that I detest.

Artair Geal and mbomber like this.
  4. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Indeed, as is your right, and I always appreciate the amount of constructive discussion found here in :)

mbomber and docdoom77 like this.
  5. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Curious about the definition of Relevant Skill and how it applies at to the Focus tree where you need 10 pts to open up Intelligent gain. The root skill being passive in this case may be throwing my understanding of Relevant Skill off a bit.

Apologies if this was asked before - I did some queries hoping to find the answer but haven't had time to read the whole thread yet.

mbomber likes this.
  6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, "Relevant" is whatever the devs decided to link to that passive in order to promote a skill gain.

In the case of the Focus tree, I suspect it is any skill that uses the "Intelligence" attribute in some manner (which as far as I know is every one of them to some degree).

I expect the bigger gains though would be through the use of spell skills. However melee skills raise it as well (as my Bludgeon character has "25" in Heightened Awareness).

mbomber likes this.
  7. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

I found the answer by playing and reading the tips. Should have just played the game, heh. "Innate Skills in the Focus and Tactics schools gain experience when any skill is used"

4EverLost, mbomber and Duke Raas like this.
  8. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

So, I referenced this in dev+, and its official: While, yes, I like skill based, I am a very sad panda because in the last QA patch (which I am sure made it to live, I will know soon as I patch live up) the remnants of the "character level" were chipped away again via removing my ability to see how much xp that wolf or skeleton gave. I had a very nice comfort zone and warm fuzzy while leveling up and getting skill based skill gains for a few days on QA. While I understand Chris doesnt want us to see xp, *I* actually find it, in a strange way, aesthetically pleasing and fun to see. How to explain it? I suppose its kind of how like there is that nice level up sound I look forward to when a skill levels up.

In any event, Chris...if there is any way, please keep adventurer levels and visible xp from mobs when we kill for those of us who want it (maybe in options?). Honestly (and I'm not making this up), when I discovered where to find my adventurer level (which was under character stats), plus seeing that increase with xp I gained from mobs, AND seeing skills gain, I was probably having the most fun I've had in an rpg for a long time. For me you had hit that FUN factor in some crazy way.

docdoom77, mbomber and Katrina Bekers like this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i kind of miss that too - i was hoping we'd kind of have both systems where a base character level could raise the baseline of the skills.. but i've grown to like this iteration better. i think the early-onset leveling that constantly happens with the skills dillutes the character level ding feeling - but later on once the skills you are constantly using get higher level, you can gain that 'ding feeling' back because it WILL be further and farther between. that, is at least my perspective of it all.

as to your final request, @Segallion maybe as a UI thing it would be nice to have...sort of a way to remember the progression of MMOs...but i'd like that to be a feature that is toggleable and off by default. as i said above, i like where it is heading.

mbomber likes this.
  10. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

A toggle would be great. I also enjoy seeing somewhere some iteration of "level" too.

ThurisazSheol and mbomber like this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@galdrmadhr - first, i love the avatar. got a cast of one of those up on my wall at home. :)

from what i've seen so far, once you train the skill with the trainer, it is trined permanently. however, the points above the training decay slowly over time, but only to a point from where they were. i think @Chris said it was two days worth in his second wall of text?

as for your second point, how can it be coined pay to win when this is not a subscription based game, and we're talking specifically about the use-based-skill system? certainly going to need some clarification on your point there.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yes i do, and so did the devs when creating this system. there's a limit to the decay. lets say i stop playing at skill level 50. after two days it stops decaying, so you won't be at 45, it'll be at 48, assuming the rate is one full point a day. even if i go away for a month, i'll still be at 48.

honestly, if i go away for six months, i'd want my earned skills to reset back all the way, but the paid skills to stay where they are so i don't have to pay to learn them again. i usually just delete my toon and start over if thats the case, mostly because i've forgotten how to play my character by that point.

13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yknow, i wasn't at first either, then i realized its fairly realistic. you don't forget how to ride a bike, but you can't remember the exact technique for a specific trick if you haven't used it for years.

it also has the added benefit of keeping the hardcore top-of-their-class in a skill, of making it just a touch more difficult to KEEP that rating, which for those people would be kinda fun. - but losing the perfect skill level after initially learned, lets you not remain cookie cutter, years down the road, if everyone is a grandmaster blacksmith, who's going to sell the gear if everyone can make it?

:)

mbomber likes this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Just have to chuckle about this, considering it is an intriguing real-world analogy to skill decay.

Kudos for that. :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

ROFL! with folks like us on the forums, that will happen anyway, if not on this on another topic. *evil grin*

Duke Raas likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Based on Chris' example, logging in every day for a full year (so you don't get the decay limit) but not getting any skillups, would only cause a net loss of about 10% (his example was a skill of 80 decaying to 72 if you died after that full year). So it will be FAR less than a point per day. For many players, skill decay will rarely cause a full point loss, but just some progress loss.

mbomber and ThurisazSheol like this.
  17. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

THANK YOU

mbomber likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

thanks for the math, didn't wanna do any as i'm not at work right now. :) personally, i have no problem with this amount, especially since ultimately i'm the one that chooses how to utilize my skills now, rather than making it an arbitrary number based on a money sink alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.