Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

"Missing" Quest "rewards"

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Nastor, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

I think its sad, that some quests dont have any reward anymore since the adventurer exp removal. Should that remain, some quests wouldnt really be worth the effort, without any reward.

I think doing quests should be at least a little bit rewarding and if it is just some progress in a passive skill like int - or another passive depending on the nature of the quest.

Katrina Bekers and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Adventure XP wasn't removed.. it's just hidden.

KuBaTRiZeS and Alley Oop like this.
  3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Even if it's hidden the OP has a point... most people will do quests that only give you XP and they will think "well, what did i just got? can't see it anywhere".

I think it's a good thing to keep XP hidden, but some visual feedback or some kind of reward could change the feeling to worthwhile.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Also, removing the explicit XP award makes many of the quests fall flat. I just completed the Ardoris rulers quest and I didn't even get a pat on the back and a "good job bro", just a "really? Well that sucks, I guess it's time to make up with her/him".

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I might agree that a positive response from NPCs would be in order but I think I'd still prefer to not expect a number of item. For a game about virtue.. the quest shouldn't be about the obvious reward. That wouldn't be virtuous would it? :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Corazon

Corazon Avatar

That is the reason I never lasted long playing UO. The quests just seemed pointless. Apart from role playing, I don't really understand the point of quests in a MMO.
    From what I can gather from other threads, my thinking is that by completing minor quests in SotA, whatever the outcome, it is going to affect your virtuous status. Any rewards are a bonus.
    And completing major storyline quests could affect virtue too. Rewards shouldn't be the motivator, as it's about playing the game and getting immersed into the story. Like a great SP Ultima game can do.

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Doing tasks to make a number go up doesn't change the situation because the label says XP, GP or Virtue.

8. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

What I cant see doesnt exist. ;) I mean even if there is a hidden exp pool there should be at least a little feedback at completing a quest. I mean in some cases one couldnt even be sure if the quest now ended or not, since there was nothing. It doesnt have to be in numbers, I would think that even a little meassage would be enough. Maybe like "you feel advenced" or "you feel a little advanced", but maybe in better words, but still differentiated on how much hidden exp was awarded.

Btw. speaking of hidden numbers a skill that a can judge an area or the mobs would be nice too, so that one is at least warned, that an area or kind of mob is to dangerous to aproach for the level or skill one currently has.

Besides that quests in an MMO arent really immersive, since everyone do the same quests even if a quest should already be completed many times before, are the quest for me usually the guiding thread that leads me through the story. Otherwise it would only be killing mobs which would be as boring as Diablo III which is for me nearly as good as a sleeping pill.

And you shouldnt forget that SotA is at the same time also a single player game.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I kind of like not seeing the numbers I can't bring myself to disagree on that point either. We should have SOME kind of clue and "reward" that the quest is done.. and by reward I mean in terms of game design. An example would be the sound and visual fx when a skill levels up. So as you say at the end of the quest the quest giver says or does something to let you know you did a good job or there's a little message or something a little more obvious.

Not sure whether or not I agree on the mobs though. Maybe it's because I've been actively playing since R15 but usually the biggest clue to me that I'm not ready to fight something is when my health is dropping faster than theirs. :) By the time I'm down to half I know it's time to leave. Sometimes before that. :) I don't think it's a particularly steep learning curve.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I wonder if they could "fill" the skills on the "k" tree visually. Kind of like adding liquid to a beaker. It would give one a sense of where he is at on the skill progression. maybe a small "skill" box could flash faintly in the corner of the screen to indicate something. I dont know, but I like your idea. same thing for completing quests, and by hitting the flashing box you could bring up a context with details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.