Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skill Capped with Useless Skills, no way to Drop

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Magnarune, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnarune

Magnarune Avatar

1. Title: Skill Capped with Useless Skills, no way to Drop
    2. Reproduction Rate: Any player could do
    3. Blocker?N/A
    4. Details: Day 1 Skilled Leveled "LIGHT" (60) and "NIGHT VISION" (45) and "TAP SOUL" (94) Not aware there is a *TOTAL SKILL CAP* I Hit this cap every level Now stuck with useless NON-PVP Skills and no way to drop. Every level I gain about 5-More points to distribute. And that's it!
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Skill useless spells. Get Stuck at Total Skill cap with a "Gimped Character" {Nothing gains any more}
    6. User Specs: I7 Etc n/a
    Please have a Way to Drop Skills or make the arrow point DOWN so we can have our Swords go UP again. Stuck and feeling silly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Scorpio-LakeSuperior likes this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

@Magnarune
    Did you turn it off now that it's so high? And do the swords still not go up after you turn off the useless skills and go out to earn more exp points by killing things?

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry, you have fell into the same predicament as many others, and as I have stated MANY times in Many other threads where players have not read the instructions and maxed out with useless skills, - - - a way to lower should NOT be allowed (In the Live Game) Perhaps for testing alone as that would allow for players to change templates.

BUT NOT LIVE as al players would do is raise skills that are Easy to gain like using swords with Auto Attack raising it to 100 then turning that shill to lower and would then be able to Gust Ball Skills they actually want to use.

What players HAVE to do is Adventure to gain more points in their pool.

Rem I am saying in testing go for it but do NOT get used to it if allowed, for testing.

4. Taze

Taze Avatar

This is a problem for anyone going anything other then blades too
    all those worthless points in blades is annoying to a user of any other weapon category

5. Magnarune

Magnarune Avatar

Could not Disagree more. Skill dropping must be allowed.

If we cannot drop Skills, then we'll end up with *Permanent* Useless points, often by accident.
    In "Perfection Gaming" the Perfect builds would be "10 10 100, 10 100" for the skills you want.

No player should be punished permanently for "Casting Light too many times" when Level 1-20

Let's see an Example:

[​IMG]

6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Thing is, you're given the starting blade skills but you haven't really used any of those points to get them. o_O They are what they are free skill you can use or throw away at start.

It is to your advantage to use the skills cuz they give it to you free but this release, they also gave you all the former release experience pool you probably had to get the skill you wanted and you could have leveled those up instead.

:DSo, if you had gone and gotten your wanted skills, and gone out and practiced those, you'd probably would have been in a very, very good position skill wise. Probably would still have a bit of an advantage with swords but the given exp pool should have helped quite a bit in getting the other skills up quickly.

Kendaric likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you turn off training the skills you don't want and actually go out and kill things, your exp should go to just your new battle skills.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Magnarune

There is no cap
    Looking at that pic you are doing the same mistake I did early on. You need to have max 3-4 green arrows in the corners giving skill gain.
    While in the pic you have every skill with a green gain arrow.
    The way you are doing it the XP you get are diluted on too many skills preventing fast gain.

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Just wait a few releases and it will probably be completely different. Can't reinvent the wheel without scraping a few hexagons that are determined not to roll. As it stands they are already breaking the agreement that Respecing would be possible but expensive.

10. Jaws2

Jaws2 Avatar

All opponents of the down arrow idea say there is no limit to skill gain & they are correct. However, skill gain is exactly like leveling used to be, it gets harder & harder to get the same amount of skill points, so eventually there is an ever increasing slow on gain.

What happens when we reach skill cap(adventure level 80ish for me) & wish to change 1 skill? If the down arrows are not included at 100% exchange rate on skill pool total... Sorry, delete your character & make another. If you change now you are seriously gimped.

11. agra

agra Avatar

How does that line up with Chris's statements of:
    where caps seem to be part of it?

I'm a little concerned with the current system regarding things like:

Is my crafting, stat (DEX/STR/INT), gathering, innates, and similar skill choices consuming those few slots I can keep at 60+, 80, or 100+ ? Dunno. Haven't seen anything that talks about that.

If all skills draw from the same pool, then it's time for me to think about a second account, or a third account, and have one combat gathering crafting, one pure combat character, and one pure crafting character fed by the other two. Kind of disheartening. I was hoping more of an all-in-one experience.
    EDIT: Spoiler tag didn't work properly.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Perfectly?
    Read Chris post again there, there is no cap like the OP describes it.
    There is only distribution of the XP pool and decay.

Not really.
    The strategy that I found the hard way is to level 3-4 at a time.
    So only green arrows skill gain on 3-4 skills. Get those to about 60. Then switch to some new skills.
    Repeat for all skills you want to have for your build.
    Then when you are through the first skills will have deteriorated to about 56-57.
    So then you do 3-4 skills all the way up to 80.
    etc
    However now its starting to get tricky, so then it starts depending on how grindy nature you got.

There is no cap, there is only distribution of the xp pool.

Uhm?
    Yea, that is intended. One character shouldn't be able to be grandmaster in all skills. If that was the case then the crafting economy would be in ruins in a couple of months.
    So its really a good thing for the longevity of the product.

KuBaTRiZeS, Alley Oop and Duke Raas like this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yep. That means you cannot gain one entire skill level by using the skill once. It is necessary to perform the skill a certain number of times in order to transfer sufficient experience over to the skill to gain a new level.

This was implemented because skill gain use applies a "percentage" of your total pool on each use. So if you had a *massive* pool of unused experience, you could theoretically apply enough experience in a single hit to jump many levels at a time.​

Not really following how that relates to what Spoon mentioned though.

This thread is in reference to some theoretical cap on the number of skill points one can acquire.

Under the design outlined by Chris that "skill cap" is only limited by how quickly a player can acquire experience and apply them to skills.

----

If you are encountering a problem applying additional experience to a particular skill, then you either have no unused experience to apply, or you are encountering a bug.

If you feel it is a bug, report it as such, and I'm sure the devs will look into it. :)

(Edit: Whoops, ninja'd by Spoon :) )

Alley Oop likes this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

If I need more than one character or account to be able to craft, harvest, and do combat, that's just a higher barrier to entry.

In my experience, many people don't want to have multiple characters/accounts simply because the devs are unwilling to increase the concurrency limit, which is arbitrary. Such a thing will be perceived as a money grab, regardless of the intent.

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, I'm sure there will be mods available for the offline version of the game where one can master as many skills as you want.

For the online portion though... The devs have chosen to try forcing us to interact with those other pesky humans playing the game. Unfortunate yes, but probably in the best interest of the game as a whole. :)

4EverLost likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you don't. crafting and harvesting have their own exp points, not related to adventuring.

agra likes this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

Well finally, some good news. Thank you, Alley Oop.

18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

It's unfortunate and it would be nice if there were some "guidelines" for players to follow.

I'm a bit OCD so if my light hit 11 I'd probably just delete my character and start over (joking but you get the point).

I planned out my R21 skills I wanted and payed extra close attention to my arrows until I unlocked all of the skills I wanted... If I would have missed one and accidentally got 50 on light I would have been a bit perturbed... not everyone is going to pay as much attention as me, especially when they're new to the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.