Value of Pledge versus Player Owned Towns

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Greyfox, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

There is a developing disparity between the perceived value of a Pledge and that of a Player Owned Town. I believe this is unexpected and perhaps temporary but the issue should be addressed.

Several issues within the pledge system have created the discrepancy and should be remedied. First we all want plenty of funding for Shroud to become a success, so funding should be the priority. Yet protecting the value of a pledge, creating a healthy environment for the backers should be as important, as happy gamers create long term success.

Issues related to the decreasing value of pledges is due to the fact they are "unlimited" for the most part or if not unlimited at least not a known limit imposed prior to release. High level pledges, especially should be limited, and then a price increase imposed. This is most evident in the Duke level as those pledges have substantially increased and their value decreased. Although any pledge over $1000 should be limited availability before either a price increase or less benefit provided.

While the Baron and LOTM pledges have increased in cost the other high value pledges, especially Duke have stayed the same price and their numbers continued to increase. This increase is good for the game, but further deteriorates the value associated with the pledge.

Another issue is the fact Store Items are introduced that are superior to the pledge items, such as improved housing, items such as the radio, banners, and the list continues. These additional items are needed for the game, but they further decrease the value of a pledge.

Solutions:
    1) The change of no longer stacking deeds and housing on high level pledges is one being implemented.

2) Pledges receive a discount on add-on purchases, higher discounts for higher pledges. This would encourage additional add-on purchases likely making up for the difference lost with the discount.

3) Deed price taxes need to be excessive enough to make tax free deeds a valuable asset but not so excessive they hinder game play.

4) Owning property should have a benefit, such as enabling you to farm and earn profit. I believe this might be planned, but more details are needed. The farming should be at a minimum less tedious, time consuming, and expensive than simply farming in the wild.

5) The armor and Avatar wearables provided with pledges, should not need repaired. They should never be damaged and should be able to be upgraded so they are not outdated and worthless a week after release. Remotely comparable to the LTI in Star Citizen.

I realize this post will likely create a lot of angst within the community. Yet I believe the developers, especially RG realize without many backers, this game would never be made. Since their release the value of a pledge has decreased, yet they are suppose to be worth "double" at release as we are buying them on "sale". I believe something needs done to correct the situation.

POTS have most certainly held their value and in fact have increased nicely in value, as they should have. Try to keep responses civil, we all want the same, a successful game.

Thanks

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

You speak of "perceived" value I gather ?

For those who purchased with the intent of flipping the pledge to make a profit, I could see what you are saying being an issue.

From my perspective, the value of my pledge has never changed, simply because I have no intention of ever selling it. It has the same value to me as it did when I originally purchased it. :)

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am not sure what your point is tbh.
    Most of the things you want are/will be happening soon.
    So...ehhh....?

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I have no desire to sell my pledge, I'm solely interested in game value. If I wanted to invest money it wouldn't be in virtual assets. It would be in gold, stocks, and real estate (all are good prices currently.)

The virtual items purchased with the high level pledges continue to decrease in value due to "mudflation", higher ownership, and no gaming mechanic to make deed ownership more than cosmetic.

Cassandra Corax and Atogrim like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What do u mean Stacking limits being implemented, If I have a Duke pledge and decide to add on 20 houses that is MY choice if you want to force me to ge another pledge to get more houses you are going to have my ask for money back.

The armor you get with your pledge could easily be made Durable but they are going to be mostly JUNK, nothing but decorative, so not really an issue.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Still a perceived value then.

From my point of view, it does not matter that there are more home-owners in the game, it does not make the value of the lot I own any less valuable than it was, since I never intend to sell it (in-game or out).

Personally, I don't see any particular need to add additional benefit to something I perceive as not having actually changed in value.

And in my opinion : Doing so would simply further antagonize the "Pay to Win" side of the gaming community.

However, you obviously disagree, so I'll leave you to it. :)

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Imagine, night before launch greetings at door by RG.

Evening
    Valid opinion. See how others feel.

Duke Raas likes this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Not what he is referring to. After August 31st pledge rewards wont stack like they do now.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51857

Look at the chart at the bottom.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know what was stated in the message but that is NOT what he said, semantics are very important when the meaning is changed, not the intent, sorry.

If he is referring to the posting then Not an issue.

ty

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Armor that never breaks and ups in value as you level? Sounds a bit OP wouldn't you say? Almost sounds like pay to win when you do it that way.

I think they have to be very careful in how much "more" you get regardless of how much you back. It shouldn't matter to the average player how much he had to pay to get in game...every player should feel they have the same opportunities to progress.

Granted the levels give you bonus items, which should be enough. I'm glad some back thousands of dollars, good that they can justify spending that money, however that doesn't mean the game should be centered around making sure they get perceived value.

Solazur and Sold and gone like this.
  11. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Oh I like LTI. My saying is "LTI or I will not buy"
    I would love a discount off the add on store price because the yen is so weak to the U.S. $. Sigh...

Vermine likes this.
  12. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I agree in essence on some of what is said here... i was unable to move my pledge lord knight (what ever comes after knight marshal) its a 400 dollar increase. Now since i was unable to upgrade prior to the stacking / neutering of pledge lvls i will not buy that pledge lvl. there is not enough stuff at that pledge lvl to warrant 400 dollars. (i am speaking for myself no one else here)

by no means am i not saying i wont continue to fund the game etc or i am mad. its just the value was stripped of that pledge lvl. where i can no longer justify spending the money to buy it. i will spend my money on stretch goals or add on items.

as a disclaimer i have no intentions of ever selling my account or my two kids accounts... but the value of the accounts is far less than when i purchased them. ill give an example i paid a lot of money to get a founder account and now i wont even get the darkstar rewards for it.

Solazur, 4EverLost and mbomber like this.
  13. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

There is no comparison. Owning land will always be better than any pledge.

Bom and Roper Docholiday like this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

With a POT you do not own the land, only with a deed, is the land owned. POT you are mayor of the town with a deed you are a property owner. At least that was suppose to be the intent.

mbomber likes this.
  15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Everything except this.
    Not taking damage sure but it has already been established that you wont be able to loot reward items so they should be useless eyecandy after a week imo

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I agree.

The pledge reward equipment can be a helpful booster in the beginning of the game, but should eventually wear out, and become essentially cosmetic decorations after that. :)

17. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Good to cross paths again, Marine. You raise an interesting situation that I am wondering about with the change in policy on stacking lower level houses and basements that may have been answered elsewhere. Let us consider three future scenarios for a case where an account was pledged at the Knight Marshal level before the policy change:

Knight Marshal Pledge (No Level Upgrade):
    All Knight Marshal and lower houses/basements stacked.

Lord Upgrade (+1 Level Upgrade):
    All Knight Marshal and lower houses/basements stacked + Lord house/basement
    - OR -
    Lord house/basement

Lord Marshal Upgrade (+2 Level Upgrades):

All Knight Marshal and lower houses/basements stacked + Lord Marshal house/basement
    - OR -
    Lord Marshal house/basement

I sure hope it is the former in each case. If it is the latter then Portalarium seems to have potentially shot themselves in the foot if pledge upgrades are a significant source of revenue. I think I have a rough understanding of the necessity, reason, and choice of policy change. I am sure hoping it was a deliberative and difficult decision to make the policy change.

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

With the pending changes to pledges not stacking houses, it is hard to see that the value of older pledges has gone down. If anything, the perceived value of older pledges will have gone up as newer pledges will be less value packed.

19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Quite.

I would expect the grandfathered pledges will fetch a premium on the Marketplace now. Much as the Founder pledges do over the Benefactor editions. :)

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  20. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

I agree, pledge/add on equipment should always be unbreakable but not overpowered. It should always been low / midrange equipment that is superseded by crafted gear later on. At the moment most of the equipment we have had are like this and that's fine.....gives you a boost at the beginning, and as you gain gold and levels, you buy better equipment.

They should however all be non lootable and unbreakable as they cost RL money, I know if I lose my $20 lord British cloak trying to repair it....I will not be amused and probably demand a refund for the cloak;)

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.